Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Honda car. It's for the wife, a 2016 EX-L with Nav/Leather. As I live in New England I am thinking of putting on mud flaps. Looking for suggestions on which ones to get. Also if anyone has any words of wisdom for a newbie owner please feel free to pass them along. Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had $500 to spend at the dealer and purchased a few honda accessories. The mud flaps installed quickly. I can't remember how much they cost, but there are some on amazon that look identical for a fraction of the price. Living in MN it's nice to at least something to deflect the snow and stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Det97-Thank you for your post. I saw the ones on Amazon as well. But they had no reviews posted so I went here to see how people who had bought them liked them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have the OEMs and they work great. You can get them on ebay for around $25 delivered. They will save the rear quarters from everything except the largest piece of debris.

·
Registered
772 Posts
First, let me welcome you to the forum and congratulation on the on the new CRV. Personally, I would go to the dealer and buy OEM, if there's a problem with them, they are close by, no shipping problems. JMHO and good luck to you/yours.
David g..........:cool:

·
Banned
806 Posts
Why? You have all that plastic cladding behind the front and back wheels. You're not going to have any issues with rock chips in paint as there is plastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DYI Guy-Its mostly to keep the winter road salt off the paint. Also I have a long dirt driveway and mud flaps help keep the car looking/staying clean longer. I know the OEM are good mud flaps but was hoping that someone has bought the set on Amazon and could provide feedback on if they are a good choice or not. They are just mud flaps after all. Would like to save the $$ over the OEM price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nickndfl saw the $25/free shipping ones on EBay. Did not see where there are OEM. They looked like aftermarket. Again I hoping someone out there has bought aftermarket mud flaps and will post if they like them or not. Although I am getting the feeling that not a lot of people here have any mud flaps and they keep there hondas stock. But time will tell.

·
Registered
22 Posts
College Hills Honda has the OEM mud flaps for sale for $69.60 - I would probably go that route vs the aftermarket flaps.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way but recommend looking there first for accessories - they're a real Honda Dealer who sells all the genuine Honda add-ons online for a nice discount. I've bought stuff from them over the years for my old Accord (plus just got my cargo tray and all season mats for the 16 CR-V from them) and have always been happy with the fast service. They have a nice Youtube channel with lots of how-to videos for installation too.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/category/2015-2016-crv-accessories.html
https://www.youtube.com/user/chhonda/videos

Good luck!

·
Banned
806 Posts
DYI Guy-Its mostly to keep the winter road salt off the paint. Also I have a long dirt driveway and mud flaps help keep the car looking/staying clean longer. I know the OEM are good mud flaps but was hoping that someone has bought the set on Amazon and could provide feedback on if they are a good choice or not. They are just mud flaps after all. Would like to save the $$ over the OEM price.
You will probably get more road salt on your paint from over spray from other vehicles while going down the road.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Why? You have all that plastic cladding behind the front and back wheels. You're not going to have any issues with rock chips in paint as there is plastic.
I've used splash guards on my personal and company cars since my 81 Buick Skylark company car was new. I originally used them because of rock chips (I live in the sticks with a lot of gravel roads) but they also work well to keep the dirt and cow manure off of the sides of the car (whether plastic clad or not). I bought my 16 EX-L slightly used and the original owner had already put splash guards on it that looks factory. Many of the aftermarket ones look and perform like the factory ones.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Trying to save a few dollars on mud flaps. OK. Makes me wonder if the OP did any research before spending real big bucks on the worst Nav system in the industry.

To each their own.

Just my worthless 2 cents. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike-thanks for you post. But I spent the money on a car with a navigation system ,not a navigations system with a car attached.

·
Banned
806 Posts
I've used splash guards on my personal and company cars since my 81 Buick Skylark company car was new. I originally used them because of rock chips (I live in the sticks with a lot of gravel roads) but they also work well to keep the dirt and cow manure off of the sides of the car (whether plastic clad or not). I bought my 16 EX-L slightly used and the original owner had already put splash guards on it that looks factory. Many of the aftermarket ones look and perform like the factory ones.
My point wasn't whether or not they were beneficial on certain vehicles. My point is I don't see them as being beneficial on a CR-V. The mud flaps don't appear to hang all that low to make much of a difference, IMO. To me they look like more of a cosmetic addition as opposed to a practical one. And as I mentioned all the plastic underneath isn't going to get chipped by road debris. It is black all the way thru. And as far as them keeping stuff from flying up on sides of your vehicle, I don't buy that either. The wheel on the CR-V doesn't hang outside the wheel well and a CR-V sits fairly low to the ground. The only place that gets dirty at all is the area under the front doors. I know from experience. I'm sure the underside is far more dirty than what you see under the front doors.

I too typically will add mud flaps, however I had a Chevy pickup that I bought brand new. I put the factory flaps on and being OCD like I'am I pulled them off to check for bare paint. Sure enough every one had a spot the size of a quarter rubbed clear thru to bare metal. I took them off and left them off. My current truck I had the area behind the wheel sprayed with color matched Line X when I had the truck bed done.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,648 Posts
they also work well to keep the dirt and cow manure off of the sides of the car (whether plastic clad or not).

I'm a City Boy, but I never heard of Plastic Clad Cow Manure. What do they feed those critters, anyway???? ;)

More seriously, I used to install mud flaps (fender guards) on all my cars too. As DIYGuy said, lees important now that many cars have plastic cladding on the lower rockers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thank all who have posted replys to my mud flap question. At this point I agree with DYIguy and carbuff2 and will own the car for a while to determine if they are really needed.

·
Banned
806 Posts
I was behind a Honda Pilot this morning on the way to work and it had mud flaps in the rear. I don't know about the front. I don't know if they came on were added, but they were short like the CR-V mud flaps. I still could see on the cladding where there was debris that was sprayed up from the tire towards the very back. I took the picture below today of a car with mud flaps that shows exactly what I have been trying to get across. However this is not a CR-V and the body panel slopes in and the tire hangs out a bit, if that makes sense. The CR-V, the tire is completely inside the wheel well, even down low. So you're not going to get the extreme like what you see in the picture. Hope this helps.

IMG_1601.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts