Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Muffler proximity to wheel??

Hi all-first time poster,here goes: son has 02? cr-v--said he had a hot wheel and burning smell, so I assumed a frozen caliper--but it is not a caliper. After that, I confirmed caliper operating nominally. I drove it, stopping frequently, and eventually got the smell, so drove back to the house-found these conditions: passenger rear wheel giving off detectably more heat than other 3, but NOT anything like a bad bearing or caliper would generate. No detectably greater drag on manual rotation of said wheel. I DID notice how close the muffler sits to that tire/wheel, so I ask-- if the muffler was in early stage of internally clogging, and beginning to run hotter than normal, could it transfer enough heat to that area to give us the symptoms described??

P.S- the hangers are allowing to ride even closer than is obviouslydesigned==muffler is approximately1 to 1 1/2 inch from tire.

Any input appreciated

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Flames shooting out of a/c vents????

That would be something, wouldn't it? So now that I have your attention-can you check out my posted question about "muffler proximity to wheel?" that'd be great ( think office space). Don't be mad--just figured the title wasn't sexy enough

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,602 Posts
Throughout the years, owner have complained of smells (burning rubber?) from the muffler (RR) side of the Gen 2 and Gen3 CR-Vs. I know I have always gotten it occasionally, since our '06 was new.

Given the checks you have already made, the smell is probably nothing to worry about (though, I would advise cleaning and re-lubricating the brake slider pins, also assure that the pads are not binding...they should 'fall out' of the holders).

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,602 Posts
PS, I merged your two Topics. You gotta be more patient! LOL....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Carbuff2 for the input! Will be on it this weekend, so will update when I know anything-- and I guess I will be up a creek if I ever do get flames out the vents...............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts