Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 CRV has multiple dash lights showing malfunctions but no codes showing on 3 different readers. I checked all fuses in fuse box under hood and have refueled/reset gas cap several times. Operation does not seem to be affected... no missing, constant gas mileage, full power, etc. I'm showing ABS, TPMS, traction control, and EPS (power steering?). Is there something common to these systems? I don't see any broken wires from the top but haven't pulled the shroud underneath to look from there. Is there another fuse panel somewhere? Are these systems common to one fuse and/or one wire bundle? Any suggestions??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm starting year 3 on a 3 year battery (two years old). I saw a youtube about the fuseable link being one guys problem. Started raining before I got around to pulling it but top 1/8 inch, all I could see just pulling the cover, looked good. I've also heard about a "weak" alternator being a bad actor also, even if voltages at battery are 12-14 volts on/off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm starting year 3 on a 3 year battery (two years old). I saw a youtube about the fuseable link being one guys problem. Started raining before I got around to pulling it but top 1/8 inch, all I could see just pulling the cover, looked good. I've also heard about a "weak" alternator being a bad actor also, even if voltages at battery are 12-14 volts on/off.
follow up: checked fuselinks and all good. Also, battery shows 12.4 volts idle and 14.4 volts running.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,434 Posts
What is battery voltage after sitting overnight?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is battery voltage after sitting overnight?
battery cold- 12.42 volts
at idle- 12.4 volts
loaded (bright lights, A/C, radio)- 14.3 volts.

these readings are the same either at battery and at alternator post (B wire?).

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,434 Posts
That is kinda low....should be closer to 12.6VDC after sitting overnight.

EDIT Found this chart showing state of charge compared to overnight voltage. It also shows how AGM batteries need longer trips for an alternator to recharge them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does that suggest more that the battery is the culprit instead of the alternator? I've seen a lot of 1 star reviews for batteries that have died before "lifetime" on sticker. At essentially $100 +/- for either option, it sounds a safer bet to try the battery first and save my knuckles for another day.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,434 Posts
Traditionally, there are THREE components of an automobile charging system, and each affects the other.

Battery
Alternator
Voltage Regulator

If your battery voltage is low overnight, one of the three isn't up to snuff.

If the battery is weak, you may be getting 12.4VDC in the morning after one day, but only 12.1 the next morning (if you don't drive). THAT is a weak battery!

If you have an Interstate Battery warehouse near you, try one of their rebuilt ECONO batteries. Every one is tested, and I've had the last than 5-7 years several times. And, they cost 1/2 the price of a new one. $60 USD last year for our CR-V

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Traditionally, there are THREE components of an automobile charging system, and each affects the other.

Battery
Alternator
Voltage Regulator

If your battery voltage is low overnight, one of the three isn't up to snuff.

If the battery is weak, you may be getting 12.4VDC in the morning after one day, but only 12.1 the next morning (if you don't drive). THAT is a weak battery!

If you have an Interstate Battery warehouse near you, try one of their rebuilt ECONO batteries. Every one is tested, and I've had the last than 5-7 years several times. And, they cost 1/2 the price of a new one. $60 USD last year for our CR-V
Thanks for the advice. I'll chase down an Interstate guy. But just to clear my head... A dash light is an "effect" and should have a "cause" somewhere. I understand a transient volt or amp may set a light but several issues come up. If a circuit is interrupted enough to set a light, why no code? And if its just a one time blip, why doesn't it reset the light after 30 miles, 5 starts or resetting the battery, etc.? And how does the TPMS get involved when it is a radio signal and not hard wired into the circuit (a tire sensor battery could be weak/dead but that usually sets a light with a code, doesn't it.)? Also, how do such varied lights/systems get turned on at the same time- ABS, TPMS, anti-skid, EPS. I know I'm just thinking out loud. I'll try a battery and see what happens, since the other two links are in one package and there's a storm rolling in this weekend. Thanks again for the consult! I'll let you know what happens.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,434 Posts
After you replace the battery, drive around for several miles (30 minutes). The indicators should go off after their systems recalibrate from the 'Cold Boot'.

If any indicators remain on after that much driving, see if any codes are in memory.

you are lucky you don't have a Gen 5 in that regard... :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After you replace the battery, drive around for several miles (30 minutes). The indicators should go off after their systems recalibrate from the 'Cold Boot'.

If any indicators remain on after that much driving, see if any codes are in memory.

too much time to think!! Can I fool the car using my truck battery. disonnect the car battery and let it think its running on a "good" one. Will that be long enough, 5-10 min. to reset the lights? Or just wait for the warehouse to open Monday?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I now have 3 days on a "blemish" battery. 75-100 miles and several on-off cycles. No joy! still have all lights. ready to trade for a horse and shoot the horse!

·
Registered
559 Posts
What was used to read any codes ?

ABS problem could cause traction light too and maybe the steering. TPMS could be low air or a bad sensor. They all come on at one time ??

Did you check fuses ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What was used to read any codes ?

ABS problem could cause traction light too and maybe the steering. TPMS could be low air or a bad sensor. They all come on at one time ??

Did you check fuses ?
I used my reader, a friends reader and the reader I borrowed from AutoZone. None showed any codes. I've checked all fuses inside and under hood, including fuse links. all good.

All tires are equal at 30psi. I have a TPMS light on my GMC that's been on for a year. I don't mind a bad battery in a sensor until I get new tires. At least I know what causes that light. My issue is having all 4 lights with no codes. I looked with light and mirror for chewed wires and can't see anything from the top. Didn't drop the lower shroud for a real good look.

Does the dealer analyzer show "open circuits" even without a code?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I used my reader, a friends reader and the reader I borrowed from AutoZone. None showed any codes. I've checked all fuses inside and under hood, including fuse links. all good.

All tires are equal at 30psi. I have a TPMS light on my GMC that's been on for a year. I don't mind a bad battery in a sensor until I get new tires. At least I know what causes that light. My issue is having all 4 lights with no codes. I looked with light and mirror for chewed wires and can't see anything from the top. Didn't drop the lower shroud for a real good look.

Does the dealer analyzer show "open circuits" even without a code?
Inexpensive ‘code’ readers usually can’t communicate with the other systems and bring codes out. Has to specifically say ABS, tpms, etc capability
I haven’t seen a code reader at autozone that can read all codes except one they want to sell you. Some apps have ability to read other system codes. They require a Bluetooth or WiFi OBDll adapter to communicate to the phone. Wally Mary has a phone type reader , but can’t say if it can read all system codes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Inexpensive ‘code’ readers usually can’t communicate with the other systems and bring codes out. Has to specifically say ABS, tpms, etc capability
I haven’t seen a code reader at autozone that can read all codes except one they want to sell you. Some apps have ability to read other system codes. They require a Bluetooth or WiFi OBDll adapter to communicate to the phone. Wally Mary has a phone type reader , but can’t say if it can read all system codes
I have an Innova scanner that includes ABS/SRS. I don't remember if others were scan or read. Even so, I'm lost as to 4 systems showing a light but not one code. What is common to all 4 systems... a wire bundle, one particular sensor, the main computer?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Also a scanner can usually see live data even if no codes stored.
I have an Innova scanner that includes ABS/SRS. I don't remember if others were scan or read. Even so, I'm lost as to 4 systems showing a light but not one code. What is common to all 4 systems... a wire bundle, one particular sensor, the main computer?
You would need a wiring diagram to see common connection from the various systems. Were the readers able to communicate with the OBDII ok ? Does your Innova specifically mention able to work with Honda vehicles in your year range? All lights came on one time ? If fuses all good it could be a ground or broken wire cause.
Where are you located? Anywhere near me I could put my snapon scanner on it to see if it sees anything different

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also a scanner can usually see live data even if no codes stored.

You would need a wiring diagram to see common connection from the various systems. Were the readers able to communicate with the OBDII ok ? Does your Innova specifically mention able to work with Honda vehicles in your year range? All lights came on one time ? If fuses all good it could be a ground or broken wire cause.
Where are you located? Anywhere near me I could put my snapon scanner on it to see if it sees anything different
I'm in central Alabama. Don't have a wiring diag. to see common ground points. My scanner ha worked on this car before butI kdon;t remember why. Yes, all lights come on at once but the steering (EPS?) is usually a few seconds after the first three.

·
Registered
559 Posts
there was a link provided for a manual that might help troubleshooting the vehicle.. The modules communicate on different busses and there can be an issue on one of them. Page 6289 mentions builtin troubleshooting and possible code generation. Sorta like blinking the engine light years ago. Are there any ECM or other modules firmware updates required by Honda? You can check if a recall or a TSB on issue.

CRV 2012-2016 - Google Drive

1 - 20 of 34 Posts