Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're about to add a 17 CRV to our 16 Pilot. While I like the keyless fob idea, it seems odd that Honda wouldn't make it easier for folks to have more than one Honda and let you use 2 different cars with the same fob. I see third party products like this:

universalcarremote dot com

But it says it doesn't work with Hondas. I'd really like to find a single thing to carry to be able to use both vehicles as we often change cars based on schedules and activities.

Has anyone seen anything that could work?

·
Registered
264 Posts
This would be bad. Imagine using the remote start button/ lock/unlock button/ trunk. Basically both cars will do the same things. And it would be unnecessary. For example: you want to get something out of pilot so you send someone to grab the thing while you unlock from remote. But the thing is you unlocked both the crv and pilot.
Thats my take on this. And i would not want this. Especially when it is easy to carry two fobs on same keychain.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah I really wish this was an option as well. I always know where my 17 CRV key is but finding the wifes 16 Odyssey key in her purse is akin to the search for the holy grail.

No way would I want to carry to key fobs in my pocket at all times, my goal is to carry as little as possible.

·
Registered
603 Posts
the dealer can add the key fob to the other vehicle - the bad is they cannot remove it when you sell/trade one. The key fob is a RFID device and any similar vehicle can be programmed to accept the RFID code it transmits. It does take the HDS diagnostic tool to do that. I think that the computer allows for 4 unique RFID's (each key fob is unique).

·
Registered
91 Posts
If one fob worked both cars and they were parked next to each other in your garage or driveway if you tried to remote start one, you'd end up doing both wouldn't you?

It just seems to me having one fob operate two vehicles would create more issues than it'd solve. But that could just be me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They would almost need to have a toggle switch to go back and forth. Two different RFID transmitters built into the remote and a way to switch back and forth. I could see something like that working well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Speaking of key fobs....why do they make the hole where it attaches to the key ring so darn narrow?
If you have a heavy key ring the stupid Honda fob won't go onto it and pivot. Had to use a cheapo ring as a "go between"

OK complaining over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed, I don't want both cars to do same thing at same time. If you notice on the 3rd party one above, it has selector button at the bottom to select which vehicle, which I thought would be ideal. Especially if it remembers this... so if I primarily drive vehicle 1, and I press 1 on the remote, then all button functions default to that for days or weeks on end- it only switches to vehicle 2 when I press that button.

I think this would be a great option for Honda to sell at the dealer- it wouldn't need to be included with the car itself, but I'd probably pay $50-$100 for a new fob that would be programmed to work with 2 cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts