Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't worry, keeping the CRV but looking to replace wife's car. Have looked and test driven cars from five diff. manf. It really makes you appreciate what we get as standard on our CRVs. Even upper trim levels are missing things we have as standard. Here are just a few: Auto engage/disengage parking brake, wiper activated headlights, safety features that you have to buy upper level trims in order to get, auto high beams just to name a few. It took me a while to fall in love w/ my CRV but after 3.5 yrs and 49k mi. I haven't driven anything else I would trade for. Not saying its not out there, I just haven't run across it yet. Just my .02 worth for a Friday. Have a good wkend and stay safe.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My absolute favourite for driving dynamics (in an inexpensive suv) is the Mazda CX5; Acura RDX is great but in another price class. Mazda just does not have as much space as the CRV And the Acura seems a bit smaller too. I did drive the Cx5 extensively before deciding on the CRV. I am more about driving dynamics than all those safety nannies. Ok we are musing, if I had my choice, would pickup a Suzuki VStrom 1050XA to replace my current one and maybe will next year. Would need to upgrade the seat, add heated grips, side and top cases. Love my current vstrom with 80,000 km over 8 years and have ridden the earlier generation vstrom 1000 throughout Greece and Italy including Sardinia and Corsica.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
548 Posts
Don't worry, keeping the CRV but looking to replace wife's car. Have looked and test driven cars from five diff. manf. It really makes you appreciate what we get as standard on our CRVs. Even upper trim levels are missing things we have as standard. Here are just a few: Auto engage/disengage parking brake, wiper activated headlights, safety features that you have to buy upper level trims in order to get, auto high beams just to name a few. It took me a while to fall in love w/ my CRV but after 3.5 yrs and 49k mi. I haven't driven anything else I would trade for. Not saying its not out there, I just haven't run across it yet. Just my .02 worth for a Friday. Have a good wkend and stay safe.
How a bout a SECOND CR-V? (y)😊

·
Registered
2020 CRV Sport
61 Posts
My verdict is still up in the air about these SUV's. I've been driving the 2020 for 4 months and still can't decide if I like it. My initial thought is a lot of gadgetry that one doesn't really need or want. I'll wait awhile and post my 6M verdict and what I like and dislike about the CRV. If it wasn't for Theo, I likely wouldn't be driving a CRV.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
87 Posts
Were happy with our 19 CR-V EX, AWD. We live rural in the mountains of Colorado. Drive dirt roads, 2 lane mountain roads and a little freeway.
The AWD works well. The road to our home is dirt with some steep grades. One grade in winter can be challenging. No problem.
Yes there are features we don't need and some others would be nice. No big deal to us. Nothing is perfect.
The cargo area works well for my wife hauling around her art stuff for shows.
We looked at other SUV's but mileage, space and Honda worked for us.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The Mazda CX5 s often referenced in discussions like this one.

Here is a recent comparison review by US News on the CX5 Vs CRV: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/honda-cr-v-vs-mazda-cx-5
That's a pretty decent comparison between the two. The only thing I would question is the infotainment. Is the 5th gen CR-V really that bad? Our 2019 CX-5 Sig's is the slowest booting system I've ever seen. It sometimes takes a minute for it to become usable.

When we shopped, we looked at all the comparison tests, like the one above. I find them handy for pointing out what they deem negative and then look for that issue when test driving. The "winners" in these types of reviews are usually skewed towards what the mainstream wants, like cargo space. Most people don't really like driving, so driving dynamics is often weighted low when it comes to CUV's.

Mazda is making some quality vehicles right now. They're not for everyone, though. Their dealer network can be few and far between. We have one less than a mile from our house, so not a concern for us. Not that I've ever needed to go back since the day we bought it, but some people don't do their own maintenance. Kia has also vastly improved over the past several years. I would not be afraid to purchase one.

OP, what have you looked at, if anything?

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,704 Posts
That's a pretty decent comparison between the two. The only thing I would question is the infotainment. Is the 5th gen CR-V really that bad? Our 2019 CX-5 Sig's is the slowest booting system I've ever seen. It sometimes takes a minute for it to become usable.
Yeah.. the infotainment portion of the review was a bit of a mismatch... as they compared the stock LX head unit (which is a 5 inch minimized feature set head unit) to the CX5 stock head unit (which is a 7 inch full head unit).

But that said.. Honda is traditionally behind the curve a bit on head units compared to their main competitors. Honda appears to be getting better though (the 2018 Accord head unit is gorgeous, has actual function buttons again!, and works extremely well).

·
Registered
86 Posts
We have a 2018 CRV touring and the second is a 2019 HRV EXL. The HRV gets used a whole lot more and used for running errands and town driving. The CRV is used for longer travels and obviously has low miles. We found the HRV to be a great little second vehicle to have.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We have a 2018 CRV touring and the second is a 2019 HRV EXL. The HRV gets used a whole lot more and used for running errands and town driving. The CRV is used for longer travels and obviously has low miles. We found the HRV to be a great little second vehicle to have.
2020 Subaru Outback with either engine choice- Solid car

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2020 Subaru Outback with either engine choice- Solid car
Funny you should mention that. It has now made its way to to the top two choices. Still waiting to see the new Rogue debut.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I like the HRV concept and I looked at them before buying my 2017 CRV. Thing that turned me off is compared to the CRV the current generation HRVs are under powered and poorly mated engine to CVT (engine has to work to find the torque the CVT needs, which makes driving noiser). Not terrible, just not great.

If they push out the next generation HRV with a 1.3T small turbo engine (and Honda does appear to be developing smaller turbos than the 1.5T) or used the current Honda design approach for hybrid platforms.. that would solve the poor engine power and would probably result in a quieter HRV as well (the current engine and CVT are not ideal in the HRV and it results in the engine needing to rev higher seeking torque for the CVT).

And I am sure the next gen HRV will incorporate learning from Honda on improvements in features, drivability, handling, etc.

Give me a good hybrid Touring Trim level next generation HRV and I may very well jump from CRV to HRV next purchase. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
It seems that I always need to get the top trim of any vehicle we buy for two reasons, me and my wife!

I like all the "goodies" and my wife has a finicky back so she needs a fully adjustable passenger seat (likely power) with power lumbar support...otherwise she has to have a small pillow to support her back. I dislike (for lack of a stronger word) having these loose things in the car.

There have been several cars I though would work great for us, but upon test drive with "the boss" the passenger seat didn't meet her needs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It seems that I always need to get the top trim of any vehicle we buy for two reasons, me and my wife!

I like all the "goodies" and my wife has a finicky back so she needs a fully adjustable passenger seat (likely power) with power lumbar support...otherwise she has to have a small pillow to support her back. I dislike (for lack of a stronger word) having these loose things in the car.

There have been several cars I though would work great for us, but upon test drive with "the boss" the passenger seat didn't meet her needs.
How would your rate your RDX overall. I was looking at a 21 A-spec the other day and it looked pretty nice. The RDX fourms have some issues with dash rattles on which looks like 19 models

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
How would your rate your RDX overall. I was looking at a 21 A-spec the other day and it looked pretty nice. The RDX fourms have some issues with dash rattles on which looks like 19 models
Very happy with my 19 RDX. I had a soft brake pedal, (which I knew from test driving several examples, yet still bought it), that was resolved with a TSB that adjusted the feel via the electronic brake booster. I was missing Android Auto, that I knew "was coming" when I bought...it was delivered via OTA (Over The Air) update a few months later. Other than that, I can't think of anything else. Like many new generation vehicles, the first year of the change can be troublesome. Mine has not been.

I bought it after testing many competing vehicles, but came back to Honda/Acura due to my total enjoyment and satisfaction with the '18 CR-V Touring I had at the time

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very happy with my 19 RDX. I had a soft brake pedal, (which I knew from test driving several examples, yet still bought it), that was resolved with a TSB that adjusted the feel via the electronic brake booster. I was missing Android Auto, that I knew "was coming" when I bought...it was delivered via OTA (Over The Air) update a few months later. Other than that, I can't think of anything else. Like many new generation vehicles, the first year of the change can be troublesome. Mine has not been.

I bought it after testing many competing vehicles, but came back to Honda/Acura due to my total enjoyment and satisfaction with the '18 CR-V Touring I had at the time
Thanks for the info- Is your RDX much quieter than your 20 CRV?

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
It is quieter than the CR-V. It's a different kind of quiet. Hard to explain. Our '20 CR-V (Continental tires) seems quieter than the '18 CR-V (Hankook tires)...BTW, the RDX has the exact same Continentals...The RDX sounds more solid, vs the '20 CR-V, which is the quietest CR-V I have ever been in, yet the CR-V seems "hollower" NOT loud, just a different sound, a feeling that, when compared with the heaver weight of the RDX, seems like a lighter weight, less insulated car. The RDX has additional rubber stripping on the door edges which keeps out some air whispers, heaver carpet/mats, etc.

Sorry, it is extremely hard to write about sound differences as everyone perceives it differently, and has different frequencies that they hear or that bother them. I have not checked either with a decibel meter. It also depends if you are comparing cruising or on acceleration, and if the later, how much pedal are you giving it. And what type of road surface. LOL

Both are MUCH quieter than our previous 14 CR-V.

You should go test drive the RDX and see for yourself. I believe that the Advance trim has extra sound quieting features.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
It is quieter than the CR-V. It's a different kind of quiet. Hard to explain. Our '20 CR-V (Continental tires) seems quieter than the '18 CR-V (Hankook tires)...BTW, the RDX has the exact same Continentals...The RDX sounds more solid, vs the '20 CR-V, which is the quietest CR-V I have ever been in, yet the CR-V seems "hollower" NOT loud, just a different sound, a feeling that, when compared with the heaver weight of the RDX, seems like a lighter weight, less insulated car. The RDX has additional rubber stripping on the door edges which keeps out some air whispers, heaver carpet/mats, etc.
I think the "quality of quiet" being somewhat different between your RDX and CRV is that they are built upon different Honda platforms.

Used to be RDXs and CRVs were both built on the Civic platform. But beginning generation 3, RDXs got their own unique platform.. and as such I would expect quite a few subtle qualities between the CRV and RDX will be different moving forward. Your 2019 RDX is the first year of generation 3 so it is the first year the RDX has been on it's own platform.

Hard to tell if Honda sticks with separate platforms in the long run between Acura and Honda models... given the head of Honda being very animated by the need to reduce platforms, feature variations, and region specific features. Then again.. if Honda did their engineering right.. they can run the RDX line on it's existing platform for maybe two generations.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts