Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! Took some pics of my 1st gen's interior and audio setup yesterday, figured I'd show her off here. This system has been coming together slowly since I bought the car almost a year ago. Beside the head unit (bought new for $79) and the front Polk speakers (from girlfriend's last car - sold w/ stock audio components), everything has been sourced from craigslist or junkyards for cheap. I have been dabbling in car audio since before I had a license, and I can confidently say that this system will melt your average Joe's face off -- even serious bassheads who listen to the system can't believe that it's a single 10" subwoofer and a hodgepodge of secondhand speakers. Anyway, on to the pics!

Here's the dash view. Notice the double armrests -- 1st generation CRVs came with a driver seat armrest if equipped with an automatic transmission OR a passenger seat armrest if equipped with a manual transmission. $50 at the junkyard for an automatic trans driver seat...well worth it!

Here's my headunit (Sony CDX-GT57UPW) with my main audio source (Sony Walkman) sitting on top. Factory cubby adapted to fit with the Sony headunit.

Door speakers are 6 1/2" Polk MOMO MMC650 coaxials.

Scored a pair of these OEM tweeters for $13 at the junkyard with original passive crossovers. It's safe to say there's plenty of treble to go around.

Sundown Audio SA10 in factory ported box / Sony XM-DS1600P5 amp. The amp has stuck around longer than several cars and is the oldest member of the family here. I bought it, already beat up, for $50 several years ago, and then continued to beat it up. It has been through hell and has been nothing but reliable and delivers more power than I realistically need. Grabbed the Sundown about a year and a half ago for $150 almost brand new. Back then (Sundown has picked up a *lot* of steam in the past year production wise) these drivers were over $200 by themselves, another $120 for the box.

Rear speakers are older Boston Acoustics Pro-Series 6 1/2" LF (low frequency) mids. I had a hard time finding good information on them even with the model number. However, they sound awesome and really fill in the mid-range well. As you may have come to expect by this point, yeah, I got a sweet deal on these too. $30 (thirty, three-zero) for this pair, a pair of matching 5 1/4", and a pair of 4" components. Mid 40s dude who met me at the library, rolled up on his bicycle, and produced six speakers out of a gym bag.......I don't ask questions.

Don't hate on my mounting job.....it was a really tight squeeze. Oh, by the way, these speakers weigh about 6 pounds each.

Pulled those freaking power and ground wires out of a junkyard car too. The power wire is almost long enough to be cut in half and used for two cars! I can't bring myself to cut it down to size.

And here's the host body ;)

Bonus Integra! Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Nice setup. You could hide the sub amp under the picnic table, for a really clean setup, extra long cables and all... Especially hidden from prying eyes!

Txs for the pics, love seeing this stuff and especially Gen. 1 CRV's. :cool:

P.S. You gotta get the rear spoiler, and they are cheap on Ebay!!!!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I really like the sound system, looks awesome. I'm an audio gear head myself, self taught car audio engineer. I too have a 10" system (that cant go in my V, due to cargo) that made people with 'serious' systems go "WUUUH?!"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nice setup. You could hide the sub amp under the picnic table, for a really clean setup, extra long cables and all... Especially hidden from prying eyes!

Txs for the pics, love seeing this stuff and especially Gen. 1 CRV's. :cool:

P.S. You gotta get the rear spoiler, and they are cheap on Ebay!!!!!
I *could* tuck it under the table, but that would necessitate an expensive irregularly shaped sealed enclosure build and honestly I would have to downgrade to a much smaller subwoofer. It might not look like it, but that subwoofer is over a foot deep from the front of the cone surround to the back of the magnet and weighs 30 pounds (just the subwoofer)...would be a very tight squeeze accounting for the travel of the cone to prevent damage, and would definitely be detrimental to sound quality. The amplifier is mounted via velcro so it takes all of one minute to fold the seats down, throw the amp on the seat back, and remove the sub and enclosure from the car if I need the extra space. As for prying eyes, the tint is 7% VLT so unless you have a powerful flashlight, you're not seein' sheeeeit!

Edit: Oh! And the spoiler - I have been eyeing a reproduction unit on ebay for a while now. Being Canadian I assume you can appreciate the 'springtime itch' to do EVERYTHING I've been stewing over all winter here in New England. It's on the to-do list.

I really like the sound system, looks awesome. I'm an audio gear head myself, self taught car audio engineer. I too have a 10" system (that cant go in my V, due to cargo) that made people with 'serious' systems go "WUUUH?!"
Thanks man, same here. Learned through the school of craigslist and hard knocks! Lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts