Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had this SE for while since my wife had it before we got married in 2017. It has 169k miles and a new cylinder head so I’m going to be keeping it for a long time

I’m going to be posting my little repairs and upgrades here and there.

I just went to the junk yard to see what I could find. There are 3 1st gens and 1 2001 MDX. I pulled this steering wheel off the MDX and it now has a home in my crv.

Obviously dirty but in good condition overall. I thinned out some leather paint to go over the worn edges that look brownish and make sure the color is uniform all over. Turned out really nice.
I would have loved to find an airbag with a silver Honda emblem, but nothing I could find fit in the Acura wheel.

Riding in luxury now!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty soon I am going to be restoring the rips in my leather seats. Before i recolored them, I wanted trial my process on my old steering wheel.
It turned out really well though I’m not 100% sure the materials are worth it if you have to buy them all. Rewraps for steering wheels are relatively cheap. I had all the materials laying around so I figured I would give it a shot. I think it will work well for my seats when I am done with the repairs.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
very interesting. Were you able to re-use the airbag? How much does a junked acura steering wheel run? I just ordered a new leather wrap for my steering wheel that looks worse than yours did before. But the emblem is still all worn out on my airbag cover, so a cool acura one like your's would be cool too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
very interesting. Were you able to re-use the airbag? How much does a junked acura steering wheel run? I just ordered a new leather wrap for my steering wheel that looks worse than yours did before. But the emblem is still all worn out on my airbag cover, so a cool acura one like your's would be cool too.
Well the guy said $40 for both the airbag and steering wheel or $35 for just the airbag. So I offered $35 for both and he accepted. Lol.

So I guess he would have charged $5 for the steering wheel by itself? Idk, 🤣. Either way, steering wheels are cheap since people don’t really “need” to replace them. Replacement airbags are a lot more desirable due to it deploying in a simple fender bender.

The original airbag is still intact, but I just remembered I have a recall on my original airbag so I am going to go have it replaced and then sell it with my original leather steering wheel. I had to buy the acura airbag since my Honda one had different mounting points.

If anyone wants to know the process for restoring the original leather, just DM me. I will also make a more thorough post when I complete my leather seat restoration 😁

1 - 6 of 6 Posts