Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Honda CR-V EX-L 2.4L engine in December of 2013. In February 2014 it made this aweful sound I had never heard before. As there was snow on the ground I thought it could've been ice on the belt. A few days later it was 60 degrees out and made the noise again. I immediately looked online and found a video of a 2012 CR-V making the exact same noise and attributing it to the VTC Actuator. My car had less than 5,000 miles on it. I had to take my car into the dealership and leave it overnight on several occasions in hopes that the sound would occur when the service members started it. I think I left it over three times before the summer hit and nothing was found. It is now the end of November and the sound starting occurring again. I took it in the other day, this morning they started it and were able to recreate the sound. It was indeed my VTC Actuator. I now have 23,000 miles on my CR-V. The dealership is replacing it and I should have my car back by the end of today. I am a repeat Honda owner. My last car was a 2010 Honda CR-V and I must say this caught me off guard.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,482 Posts
While it's not pleasant to have a problem with a new car, this has been a known problem on your vintage of CR-V. (Noise at startup)

SEARCH "VTC* Actuator" and you will get plenty of "hits". (It's always smart to use the wildcard * with search terms of three characters or less)

In this day and age I don't understand why you couldn't have told the Service Writer "My car is making the exact noise as this video" and give him the Link... <OH WELL>

[h=2][/h]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a previous 2010 CRV owner and after totaling it at 55mph into a stationary object (someone slammed on their brakes on a highway for no reason) and walking away unscathed I felt obligated to buy another. I loved my 2010 CRV and never had an issue. I am extremely caught off guard by the VTC Actuator and have done research and feel let down that this has been a problem for so many years.... It's aggrivating.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I did show the service manager the video and he said he couldn't do anything to fix it until they heard it themselves. I think also having my husband in the office, recently returned from a deployment overseas and highly upset at them for not fixing the problem in February when the noise first occurred also helped.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Thank your husband for his service and shame on your dealer for not taking care of you while he was gone. He shouldn't have to get mad at them to get you the service you deserve.
This problem (VTC Actuator) isn't the end of the world as lots of people are living with it right now. From all I've read here, even if they do replace it, it is more than likely to reoccur when the temps get low.

Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm at a loss of what to do. Reading into 2013 CRVs with VTC problems their engines have been failing around 40,000 miles after having the VTC Actuator replaced. My 2014 was just appraised as a trade in for $15,000. I've been sold a crappy car that doesn't qualify for the lemon law although it's been unusable for about 10 consecutive days. Do I hire a lawyer and go after Honda? Do I see if Honda can rectify this? My car is in mint condition aside from tire tread and this VTC Actuator replacement.. I am furious!!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Sorry your having this issue. Some of us here, myself included, are dealing with it too. I'm surprised a 14 is only bringing 15k. Sounds like they're trying to get over on you. Trade in should be much higher.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts