Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My initial review:

I've had my CRV for for 1 month as of yesterday and have run it for about 1500 miles. This is really is on the lower end of miles that I normally drive in any given month.

Since 2011 I have driven 2 different Toyota Rav 4 limiteds (with 6 cylinders) the 2011 was thoroughly and completely totaled in 2012, guess you can't run them into tracked backhoe and expect anything else. Due to the fact the 2011 IMHO pretty much saved my life with just a few weeks in the hospital I opted to buy a 2012 and in a little over 3 years put about 90,000 on it. So at the end of last year I decided at 90,000 miles it was time to trade it in. Originally I went to look at and test drive the new 2016 Rav and was set on buying one but the dealer experience for lack of better words "irritated me"

I had done "some" research on the Honda CRV and decided on a whim after leaving the Toyota dealership to stop at the Honda dealer. After the test drive I was happy enough to sit and talk numbers. Going out on a limb I told them exactly what I wanted for trade what I wanted to pay. The sales guy left to talk to his manager and came back in about 5 minutes and had numbers that were slighlty better then what I wanted. DEAL DONE! The test drive actually took longer then negotiation

So after the 1500 miles I can say the following

1. First and foremost it always seemed to me that the Rav 4 felt "empty" "hollow" That doesn't seem to be the case with the CRV road noise is reduced. In my opinion it just feels cozier!

2. So far the leather seats and over all comfort of the seats and seat position are way better then the Rav. I always ended up with left knee pain from having my knee rest against the door with such a cramped drivers side door to floor area, also hamstring pain from the way the seat was. Might be just my aging body but those aches seem to have disappeared with the CRV.

3. Kinda miss the hand emergency break as opposed the foot emergency break. I haven't wacked my shin there yet but can see it happening.

4. Can't say I'm 100% pleased with the lack of storage pretty much anywhere I thought the Rav was bad unfortunately the CRV doesn't have the rear area floor well which is where I stored a lot of my cycling gear etc (though the new Rav's don't either so that might have been a wash!)

5. I'm not overly happy with the Android phone integration or lack thereof for navigation etc. But on the flip side of that I have a NAVDY heads up display unit coming in a month or so as part of the Indigogo project so not gonna lose sleep there.

6. Heated seats and overall environmental controls are a step or two above the Rav.

7. Currently I'm seeing about 24.5 MPG which considering that it's winter here and the roads have been off and on bad that's not terrible. I was only hitting about 21 MPG with the Rav 6 cylinders though. So even 3 to 35 more miles works for me right now.

8. Now for the acceleration difference. Well it isn't 6 cylinders but so far it's done what i needed it to do. Haven't done a lot of aggressive accelerations or such but what I have it's moved out quick enough to get the job done.

9. Storage re-visited - I do a lot of bike racing and which means a couple of bikes and gear stored inside the car. So far my bikes fit, won't know more until the spring as far as how everything else will fit but I suspect I'll be good.

So in a nutshell I'm about 95% pleased that I made the switch. Miss a few things on the Rav the big one being the storage but oh well I could have bought a Sprinter ;)

Opieos

·
Registered
78 Posts
For what you get, you really cant beat the CRV in 2015-16. EX model especially! Yes the new RAVs are great, My wife and I have both. Honda gives you more amenities for the price but both are among the top crossovers you can buy right now. Only real difference is that Toyota hasn't caught the CVT bug, that may be a good thing however.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Only real difference is that Toyota hasn't caught the CVT bug, that may be a good thing however.
Sort of off topic - a friend has a 2015 Subaru Outback with CVT. Jiffy Lube forgot to put transmission fluid back into his Outback when they changed it. He had to get a brand new transmission (as there are no rebuilds or maybe because it was less than a year old). Jiffy Lube admitted mistake and paid for this - it cost over $9000 for a new CVT....!

I am not entirely sold on CVT either.

--------

Opieos - thanks for your comparison! I didn't really look too far into a RAV4 as I had a bad sales person and wasn't too happy when my Camry had transmission problems before 100K.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sort of off topic - a friend has a 2015 Subaru Outback with CVT. Jiffy Lube forgot to put transmission fluid back into his Outback when they changed it. He had to get a brand new transmission (as there are no rebuilds or maybe because it was less than a year old). Jiffy Lube admitted mistake and paid for this - it cost over $9000 for a new CVT....!

I am not entirely sold on CVT either.

--------

Opieos - thanks for your comparison! I didn't really look too far into a RAV4 as I had a bad sales person and wasn't too happy when my Camry had transmission problems before 100K.
Yes, I second that. I'm old school and would take a traditional 6 speed over a CVT, even if it meant a few MPG's. BUT, like turbo 4's, it's whats in. I've learned to live with it on the CRV but I'm going to try and get back into 6 Speed with paddles again next.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Glad you're overall pleased with your V.
I'm about as pleased as you are with my '12 LX.
I thought I'd be annoyed by the e brake pedal but I don't even notice it.

I use my iPhone 6+ maps app via an Alpine iLX-007/Car Play for nav and it works generally ok but that is it...I prefer Google maps.

I test drove several vehicles that use the CVT...Nissan Rogue, etc. and just don't like them. It may just be me but I prefer the transmission actually shifting rather than just seeming to stall at the speed you are driving...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad you like your car!

I only test drove the Mazda CX-5 in comparison to the V. The Mazda is definitely more fun to drive. Very sporty. Stiff wheel. More aggressive look. Eventually, I opted for the V because it was a bit cheaper, which allowed me some cash to buy aftermarket accessories. Also, the difference in driving between the two cars was different but minimal.

·
Registered
507 Posts
At the time I was shopping the CRV was less than the Mazda CX-5. However, I have seen sales that dropped the CX below the CRV. I would buy whichever was less. The Mazda has better MPG. The Toyota is okay, but the interior is not as nice. Forget about a Hyundai Tucson, but a Santa Fe is an excellent SUV.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Glad you like your car!

I opted for the V because it was a bit cheaper, which allowed me some cash to buy aftermarket accessories.
Was it not you who started the thread about having to pay too much for your CRV and bashing the dealer? How did that end up?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was it not you who started the thread about having to pay too much for your CRV and bashing the dealer? How did that end up?
Replied to a bunch of people on the other thread, so you can see there. In a nutshell, the dealer didn't do anything wrong legally. Morally/ethically is another question.

Going to them on Monday to appeal to their better senses and see if they're able to help me out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If it doesn't have a manually operated foot clutch, its not a 'Manual' Transmission but rather an Automatic, shifted manually (as an option, or the usual mode of fully Auto). I do recall Mazda (at least) does still have a crossover UTE with a true MT, 6 speed. Unfortunately Honda did away with MTs in these around 2006. I guess cost consolidation across the platform. I'll take an MT in most any car, for most any purpose any day over an AT or CVT. Yes even for towing. If I did stop and go city driving regularly- that might tip toward a true AT.......

·
Registered
197 Posts
5. I'm not overly happy with the Android phone integration or lack thereof for navigation etc. But on the flip side of that I have a NAVDY heads up display unit coming in a month or so as part of the Indigogo project so not gonna lose sleep there.
This is more than a little disappointing to me too... so much potential, so little of it used. I'm considering trying my Chromecast in the HDMI port, some not-in-park workarounds from this thread, and seeing if I can get Google Maps on the display that way.

8. Now for the acceleration difference. Well it isn't 6 cylinders but so far it's done what i needed it to do. Haven't done a lot of aggressive accelerations or such but what I have it's moved out quick enough to get the job done.
My '97 felt distinctly underpowered on the on-ramp; full of luggage there are some parts of I-80 in the Rockies that it wasn't able to keep up the speed limit with when floored. The '15 has about a 1/3rd better power:weight and torque:weight ratios, feels fine to me. 6 cylinders seems like overkill: the principal benefit is if you happen to have towing needs beyond the casual, but other than they strike me as being very marginal against the higher upfront cost and the fuel economy hit.

I actually rather like that the CR-V doesn't have a 6-cyl option: it means I can never regret not opting for it :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is more than a little disappointing to me too... so much potential, so little of it used. I'm considering trying my Chromecast in the HDMI port, some not-in-park workarounds from this thread, and seeing if I can get Google Maps on the display that way.
You can. It works. I’ve tried this. But there are downsides.

For this to work, you need a WIFI network. Don’t need Internet access, but you still need a network. Easiest way is to use another phone to use as a hotspot. This of course, presents all sorts of issues. You’ll need to carry an extra phone around. You can’t leave it in the car in the summer because of the heat. You’ll have to keep the thing charged. Etc.

Once you’ve managed to get the car screen to mirror your phone, you’ll realize one huge deficit. You can’t interact with the phone via the car’s touchscreen.

Since your car’s source is HDMI, all your audio is going to come from your phone as well. So no FM, AM, or XM radio. And unlike if you play your phone’s audio through Bluetooth, you can’t use the rwd and fwd steering wheel controls. You have do it through your phone.

Finally, the car’s screen is of horrible quality. It’s low resolution and has washed out colors. Frankly, you’re better off mounting the phone and looking at the phone’s screen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
And bang your knee you will. Thanks for the review. I'm looking at 2014, 2015. You have a mucher cooler looking car with the CRV! Rav's are boring. I'm sure your cycling enhances your cool factor as I can only hope mine does - JK. I thing the fully dropped seats with the CRV help with bike storage. But why don't you put a Thule rack on it and call it good? Just sayin....
Regards

1 - 15 of 15 Posts