Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. First of all, I love my 2015 Honda CR-V Touring for many, many reasons. I ponied up the extra cash for the Touring edition primarily (no, exclusively) for its safety features. You see, I have survived 6 brain surgeries in the past. One could call me a brain tumor survivor and a multiple brain surgery survivor.

I am also the survivor of a subsequent, side-impact car accident in a Toyota Corolla that had no side-curtain airbags. My skull - the most sensitive part of it - whacked the metal divider between the front and rear passenger window. I/we were the victim of a hit-and-run. We eventually caught the bastard. But things didn't turn out so well.

That single incident caused me to have more debilitating, brain-related conditions (all of them physical) than all of my brain surgeries did combined. Being a passenger in a smaller car with no side-curtain airbags nearly ruined my life, and set me back for at least 2-3 years. So after I got some compensation - which was nowhere close to what I deserved - I decided to ditch my 2006 Altima for a much safer SUV. Of all the models out there, the Touring CR-V stood out among the rest. Really, it's as good as if not better than an SUV that costs >2x as much.

The Touring model really is a bargain. An amazing bargain. And I found that out in a shocking incident today:

My drive back from work today was no different than usual; I live in the Washington, DC area, so traffic usually sucks and there are a lot of aggressive drivers out there. That is yet another reason why I got the Touring CR-V. I have a better view of the road. I have mass on my side. And sometimes it seems like this thing drives itself.

Anyway, I had made it through the worst of the Beltway traffic and was merely 1 mile away from my home. The main road that adjoins a minor road that leads to my neighborhood can sometimes be quite busy. Well, it was pretty busy tonight. I was in the left turn lane, and was doing 25mpg in a 45 due to all of the traffic. As a defensive driver, I like to keep at least 1 car length between me and the person in front of me (if at all possible). Well, it turns out that some people are *******s. Some prick who was in a hurry and had presumably "forgotten" to get into the (slower moving) left lane squeezed in front of me. And he did this while I happened to be peering to the left.

I took my eyes off the road for 1 second. 1 freaking second. Before I could properly react, I heard the CMBS beeping... and then felt my SUV come to a grinding halt. I was stunned: stunned to see a car so close in front of me - it was as if it had materialized out of nowhere - and stunned that the CMBS had worked so damn well. People, the CMBS really, really works. It dropped my CR-V from 25mph to 0mph in a second. Good thing I had that, or I would have been in an accident. Good thing that I also had the Touring's superior stock tires, otherwise I might not have had enough traction.

Wow, guys (and gals). I am so amazed by how well the 2015 Touring CR-V was engineered. The safety package in that vehicle left everyone unscathed. It may have saved my life for all I know (I don't want to know what another blow to my surgically fractured skull would do).

As far as I am concerned, my SUV just paid for itself tonight. Unbelievable. This vehicle is so new that I have yet to make my first payment. In fact, that payment is due this coming Monday (3 days). You had better believe that I will be making that first payment HAPPILY. What a way to start off a loan repayment. Instead of feeling dread every time I press "Submit Payment," I am going to feel a sense of satisfaction. $35,000? Meh. My life is worth more than that. My brain is worth more than that. Avoiding another disability-related setback is worth more than that.

If you are wavering on which 2015 CR-V to get... there is a clear winner amongst the pack. Go for a Touring model. Seriously. The thing simply works. It's a ridiculous bargain for what you get.

*For the sake of full disclosure: I am just a dude. Ok, well, I am actually a scientist. I don't know if that makes me more than "just a dude." But I have zero affiliation with Honda. However, if Honda WANTS to make me affiliated with them... say... by offering to pay off my CR-V (which is financed through Honda)... in exchange for my testimonial... then I am all for it. :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
704 Posts
However, if Honda WANTS to make me affiliated with them... say... by offering to pay off my CR-V (which is financed through Honda)... in exchange for my testimonial... then I am all for it. :fingerscrossed:

Seriously?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story and the positive outcome.

My partner just rear-ended a woman who decided to come to a full stop on the road in order to let a bird walk by (not making this up). The cop gave her a ticket along with my partner.

The thing is that he has a Subaru Outback with Eyesight and pre-collision braking and we're not sure if it kicked in. He says it didn't, that it all happened too quickly. I need to download his owner's manual and take a look. It's great technology if it works.

Glad to hear the Honda system worked.

Enjoy your CR-V and hope you have good health going forward.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you for sharing that!

After reading all the complaints about the 2015's shudder at idle "problem, I'm glad to see an "attaboy" for Honda's engineering! Now I'm tempted again . . . arggghh!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^True. Quite true. My cousin has a 2013 Audi with similar features. Actually, the features in my Touring CR-V are just as good. If you look a it from that perspective, the Touring model an INSANELY good deal. It has the safety features and other bells and whistles of vehicles that cost >$70k. But... I paid $32k for mine.

I actually don't understand why Honda decided to go this route. It's almost like they are undercutting Acura line, by making a Honda that has comparable features. But hey, I'm not complaining. I pounced on buying a 2015 Touring CR-V for the above reasons. And... yeah... it has already saved me from 1-2 years of misery, by preventing another head injury. Incredible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I actually don't understand why Honda decided to go this route. It's almost like they are undercutting Acura line, by making a Honda that has comparable features.
Actually, high tech features such as CMBS, ACC, etc., aren't yet available on Acura's equivalent model (RDX) at any price. Don't understand this either. Congrats on your new ride!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone. First of all, I love my 2015 Honda CR-V Touring for many, many reasons. I ponied up the extra cash for the Touring edition primarily (no, exclusively) for its safety features. You see, I have survived 6 brain surgeries in the past. One could call me a brain tumor survivor and a multiple brain surgery survivor.

I am also the survivor of a subsequent, side-impact car accident in a Toyota Corolla that had no side-curtain airbags. My skull - the most sensitive part of it - whacked the metal divider between the front and rear passenger window. I/we were the victim of a hit-and-run. We eventually caught the bastard. But things didn't turn out so well.

That single incident caused me to have more debilitating, brain-related conditions (all of them physical) than all of my brain surgeries did combined. Being a passenger in a smaller car with no side-curtain airbags nearly ruined my life, and set me back for at least 2-3 years. So after I got some compensation - which was nowhere close to what I deserved - I decided to ditch my 2006 Altima for a much safer SUV. Of all the models out there, the Touring CR-V stood out among the rest. Really, it's as good as if not better than an SUV that costs >2x as much.

The Touring model really is a bargain. An amazing bargain. And I found that out in a shocking incident today:

My drive back from work today was no different than usual; I live in the Washington, DC area, so traffic usually sucks and there are a lot of aggressive drivers out there. That is yet another reason why I got the Touring CR-V. I have a better view of the road. I have mass on my side. And sometimes it seems like this thing drives itself.

Anyway, I had made it through the worst of the Beltway traffic and was merely 1 mile away from my home. The main road that adjoins a minor road that leads to my neighborhood can sometimes be quite busy. Well, it was pretty busy tonight. I was in the left turn lane, and was doing 25mpg in a 45 due to all of the traffic. As a defensive driver, I like to keep at least 1 car length between me and the person in front of me (if at all possible). Well, it turns out that some people are *******s. Some prick who was in a hurry and had presumably "forgotten" to get into the (slower moving) left lane squeezed in front of me. And he did this while I happened to be peering to the left.

I took my eyes off the road for 1 second. 1 freaking second. Before I could properly react, I heard the CMBS beeping... and then felt my SUV come to a grinding halt. I was stunned: stunned to see a car so close in front of me - it was as if it had materialized out of nowhere - and stunned that the CMBS had worked so damn well. People, the CMBS really, really works. It dropped my CR-V from 25mph to 0mph in a second. Good thing I had that, or I would have been in an accident. Good thing that I also had the Touring's superior stock tires, otherwise I might not have had enough traction.

Wow, guys (and gals). I am so amazed by how well the 2015 Touring CR-V was engineered. The safety package in that vehicle left everyone unscathed. It may have saved my life for all I know (I don't want to know what another blow to my surgically fractured skull would do).

As far as I am concerned, my SUV just paid for itself tonight. Unbelievable. This vehicle is so new that I have yet to make my first payment. In fact, that payment is due this coming Monday (3 days). You had better believe that I will be making that first payment HAPPILY. What a way to start off a loan repayment. Instead of feeling dread every time I press "Submit Payment," I am going to feel a sense of satisfaction. $35,000? Meh. My life is worth more than that. My brain is worth more than that. Avoiding another disability-related setback is worth more than that.

If you are wavering on which 2015 CR-V to get... there is a clear winner amongst the pack. Go for a Touring model. Seriously. The thing simply works. It's a ridiculous bargain for what you get.

*For the sake of full disclosure: I am just a dude. Ok, well, I am actually a scientist. I don't know if that makes me more than "just a dude." But I have zero affiliation with Honda. However, if Honda WANTS to make me affiliated with them... say... by offering to pay off my CR-V (which is financed through Honda)... in exchange for my testimonial... then I am all for it. :fingerscrossed:
This is my same story in my 2017 CR- V TOURING except I was on 695 east to Glen Burnie, MD, and the car came from the right a police car decided to pull out at the last minute without looking I was going 40mph and it came to a stop I had my eyes on the road doing the whole event the car to my rear was not so lucky and hit the right shoulder to avoid hitting me from behind the police was saying he signaled to get on the road,,, until I showed him my dashcam footage then he changed everything he said, without it he would have blamed me for this accident that dashcam and my Honda CR- V TOURING is really priceless .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.