Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By the end of last November, I brought a 2018 HONDA CR-V EX FWD. On 2013, Honda released that 1.5L turbo charged engine would be used in CRV in 2015. I noticed every new year CRV mode and finally found 2017 CR-V with 1.5L turbo charged engine. I hear many complaints about turbo charged engine in the past. I asked a 2017 EX-L CRV owner about car engine problem. He told me it was very good, strong power, good fuel efficiency. I noticed the oil dilution problem in China and US, but didn't take too serious and decided to buy the car.

When I drove the car back to home, I checked the oil level. The oil mark was on the end of the yellow plastic over the top mark. The oil was dark color with strong gas smell. After I wipe out the dipstick and re-checked the oil level, the oil wasn't the dark color and gas smell wasn't that strong. I used a syringe to drain out about 2 and half bottles oil. One bottle is about 15 oz. After 200 miles, I found the oil level increased to top mark from the middle level. I realized that my car had the oil dilution problem.

After I searched turbo charged engine reliability and Honda oil dilution youtube, I realized that the oil dilution would be related to engine knocking. That was a common problem in turbo charged engine. Combining Honda's explanation, I used ECON mode to avoid to put too much gas and use top tiers premium 93 gas into the car. After that, I kept oil level check everyday and didn't find any oil level increase. On Christmas holiday, we drove the car to Florida. During the travel, I often checked the oil level and didn't find any change. When we came back, I changed the car oil. The mileage is about 3000 miles. The oil was dark color, but not gas smell. I put costco mobil#1 0W20 oil. After 300 mile driving, the oil was clear yellow, not gas smell. the oil level wasn't changed.

So I think top tier premium gas 93 and ECON mode help me to prevent oil dilution problem. If you have similar oil dilution problem, you could try to use premium gas and ECON mode. This may be a easy solution.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We use 89 and now 87 top tier fuel in our 18. We also keep Econ mode off. No rise on the dipstick. Mind you we are in Texas.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yes, this forum needed another oil dilution thread. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We use 89 and now 87 top tier fuel in our 18. We also keep Econ mode off. No rise on the dipstick. Mind you we are in Texas.

I live in Maryland. For turbo charged engine, it would be better to use high octane gas. When air is forced into an engine, it doesn't change the engine’s STATIC compression ratio, but it does change it's DYNAMIC compression ratio. This could introduce low speed pre-ignition, a kind of engine knocking. This may be the reason that many turbo charged engines specify premium gas.

I saw web information that Honda designer talked about 1.5L turbo engine. He said that 1.5L turbo charged engine could be tuned out more power but from reliability consideration, they fixed current output. I searched turbocharged engine reliability issue and found out the main problem was engine knocking. The gas mixing with oil would be the result of engine knocking, or engine damaged by knocking. Thus, Honda recalls 1.5L turbo charged engine CRV for engine emission, not oil dilution.

Oil dilution isn’t a big problem. The oil dilution reliability issue could be resolved by more frequently oil change and maintaining oil level between dipstick two marks to prevent overfill damage engine head cap gasket.

I have a friend who owns a 1998 Honda accord LX. The car has 240k miles but the engine is very quiet, no any noise. His secret is only pumping premium gas. I hear that many dealers suggest using manual specified octane gas until engine knocking, and using premium gas when engine knocking. In order to prevent potential engine damage by knocking, I use top tier premium gas in my 2018 CRV.

·
Registered
115 Posts
By the end of last November, I brought a 2018 HONDA CR-V EX FWD. On 2013, Honda released that 1.5L turbo charged engine would be used in CRV in 2015. I noticed every new year CRV mode and finally found 2017 CR-V with 1.5L turbo charged engine. I hear many complaints about turbo charged engine in the past. I asked a 2017 EX-L CRV owner about car engine problem. He told me it was very good, strong power, good fuel efficiency. I noticed the oil dilution problem in China and US, but didn't take too serious and decided to buy the car.

When I drove the car back to home, I checked the oil level. The oil mark was on the end of the yellow plastic over the top mark. The oil was dark color with strong gas smell. After I wipe out the dipstick and re-checked the oil level, the oil wasn't the dark color and gas smell wasn't that strong. I used a syringe to drain out about 2 and half bottles oil. One bottle is about 15 oz. After 200 miles, I found the oil level increased to top mark from the middle level. I realized that my car had the oil dilution problem.

After I searched turbo charged engine reliability and Honda oil dilution youtube, I realized that the oil dilution would be related to engine knocking. That was a common problem in turbo charged engine. Combining Honda's explanation, I used ECON mode to avoid to put too much gas and use top tiers premium 93 gas into the car. After that, I kept oil level check everyday and didn't find any oil level increase. On Christmas holiday, we drove the car to Florida. During the travel, I often checked the oil level and didn't find any change. When we came back, I changed the car oil. The mileage is about 3000 miles. The oil was dark color, but not gas smell. I put costco mobil#1 0W20 oil. After 300 mile driving, the oil was clear yellow, not gas smell. the oil level wasn't changed.

So I think top tier premium gas 93 and ECON mode help me to prevent oil dilution problem. If you have similar oil dilution problem, you could try to use premium gas and ECON mode. This may be a easy solution.
Knocking is only going to happen when deposits form on top of the pistons creating higher compressions or hot spots. Running premium when not recommended is a waste of money. Take care of the deposits and you shouldn’t experience knocking.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Knocking is only going to happen when deposits form on top of the pistons creating higher compressions or hot spots. Running premium when not recommended is a waste of money. Take care of the deposits and you shouldn’t experience knocking.
Call me dumb, but how does one do this?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Call me dumb, but how does one do this?
Run top tier fuels and run a fuel system cleaner every oil change. It will never be perfect but minimize the deposits goes a long way.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
So.......LSPI is a fig newton of the imagination?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On quora.com, there is a thread to discuss about turbo charged engine vs premium gas. https://www.quora.com/Do-turbocharged-cars-require-premium-gas The answer is generally turbo charged engine needs premium gas. “Turbo charged cars usually are equipped with a knock sensor. This will allow the engine to run on lower octane fuel, but it will make less power, will get less mileage, and will shorten the lifespan of the sensor.”

My first tank fuel was filled by dealer. It was 87 gasoline. My commuter is 80% highway/20% city. I got 30 MPG for 87 octane gas. After I filled Costco premium 93 gas, I got 34 MPG. Theoretically say, it should be no difference between any grade gas over 87 octanes. However, I saw a significant difference. The engine sound is also quieter than that with 87 octane gas.

For small displacement turbo charged engine, low speed pre-ignition is another kind of engine knocking. As LSPI most commonly occurs at low speeds during a period of rapid acceleration, ECON mode will make slowly acceleration and would help to prevent LSPI knocking. For a new car, you may not find oil dilution problem, but there is a potential risk to have LSPI and engine damage. As one CRV owner mentioned that his first 4000 miles without oil dilution, but next 4000 miles occurring oil dilution. It would be better to use ECON mode.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Run top tier fuels and run a fuel system cleaner every oil change. It will never be perfect but minimize the deposits goes a long way.
On my 2014 CRV, I always use top tier fuels and add fuel injector cleaner before every oil change. About 120k miles, I found my engine noise was loader than before. However, when I put COSTCO premium gas, the engine sound became quieter and gas mileage improves at least 1 mpg.

·
Registered
541 Posts
On quora.com, there is a thread to discuss about turbo charged engine vs premium gas. https://www.quora.com/Do-turbocharged-cars-require-premium-gas The answer is generally turbo charged engine needs premium gas. “Turbo charged cars usually are equipped with a knock sensor. This will allow the engine to run on lower octane fuel, but it will make less power, will get less mileage, and will shorten the lifespan of the sensor.”

My first tank fuel was filled by dealer. It was 87 gasoline. My commuter is 80% highway/20% city. I got 30 MPG for 87 octane gas. After I filled Costco premium 93 gas, I got 34 MPG. Theoretically say, it should be no difference between any grade gas over 87 octanes. However, I saw a significant difference. The engine sound is also quieter than that with 87 octane gas.

For small displacement turbo charged engine, low speed pre-ignition is another kind of engine knocking. As LSPI most commonly occurs at low speeds during a period of rapid acceleration, ECON mode will make slowly acceleration and would help to prevent LSPI knocking. For a new car, you may not find oil dilution problem, but there is a potential risk to have LSPI and engine damage. As one CRV owner mentioned that his first 4000 miles without oil dilution, but next 4000 miles occurring oil dilution. It would be better to use ECON mode.
Most regular gas is 10 percent ethanol..
Most premium gas is 100 percent gasoline.

"Real gas" will get 10 percent better mileage than ethanol blend.

Guess what? 10 percent of 30 mpg is 3 mpg... So that accounts for your better mileage of 34 mpg.

Btw, I get worse mileage on the highway in ECON mode..

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.