Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in my 70's and owned 25-30 vehicles some purchased new some used. My first Honda was a 1981 Civic purchased new that was just fine and sold when I moved overseas.

My current Honda is a 2015 EX, I have never been more disappointed in a vehicle that I have owned. I have owned vehicles that were more troublesome however I didn't have high expectations from them as I do from the EX. This vehicle has been meticulously maintained with every service recommended and called for preformed. It has 59,150 miles on it and I have it since new 73 months. It had the vibration at idle issue. It was brought back to the original dealer on Long Island NY and addressed, however the fix was not done as the TSB indicated, they only raised the idle to 800. The fix obviously didn't last and 18 months later I brought it to a dealer in Florida where I now live. They checked with Honda and did the repair as specified in the TSB and got it fixed to a tolerable level, although there still is enough vibration to be noticeable. At 53,000 miles I had to replace the starter. According to the mechanics I have asked, more than a few, that is definitely a premature failure. Of course the EX is on its 4th battery. It has also had a rear window motor and regulator replaced on a window that has been lowered and raised less than 100 times.

Now for the big one the CVT transmission needs replacement. Every single recommended, or required maintenance item has been done on schedule at a dealer or a mechanic that is highly qualified.

The dealer said they will contact Honda and see what kind of financial accommodation they are willing to make with me on the cost of the transmission.

I do not have any complaints with the dealer who has been servicing the car for the past three years and treated me very well.

However after this transmission is replaced I will keep the vehicle until the next significant repair is needed and never purchase another Honda.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,273 Posts
Sorry to hear, Best Honda I ever owned, let me see.
Honda CRX, No 1990's
Honda Civic No 2000's
Honda CRV, no 1997
Honda CRV No 2002
Honda CRV, NOPE 2017
Toyota Corolla SR-51984
toyota Corolla 1990
Toyota Corolla 2007,
Toyota Corolla 2010
Toyota Corolla 2013
Toyota Corolla 2016
Toyota Corolla 2020
Toyota Celica 1990's
Acura Intregra 1990's
Chevy Beretta 1994
Chevy Camaro 1977
Chevy camaro 1976
Chevy camaro 1971
Mitshubushi Starion ESI 5 spd
Misthubishi Starion ES auto
Amc Hornett
Oldsmobile??? 1970's.

Now ask me what troubles I had the most, the least.

I hear what you're saying, if not happy, Sell, sounds that simple, it's not, there is something you like about the car, and that is where we need to make a decision, and we wish all the best.

Honda has not been like they used to be, the new one to me are just too much Green going on.

Reactions: Tobo1

·
Super Moderator
4,273 Posts
I'm calling BS on this!

OP, not all vehicles are created equal. It seems like you've had more than your fair share of issues with this one. If I were you, I would cut my losses and move on.
Lol mistakes happen, and that is what we all learn when buying cars, you do not want to make a bad mistake. agree resell value is there, but the times to Buy & Sell may not be today. and with all the complaints we read. is it just a fraction that is out there, or not?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Honda has not been the same since Soichiro Honda died. He was an engineer. His replacements have all been bean counters.
I will not buy another CR-V because they went turbo and 92 CID. (that is what 1.5L is) they will not last like my 1990's Hondas did.
My 2016 is probably my last CR-V - I really don't like the CVT - my 2013 CR-V got better MPG than the 2016 does. I think they just want to get better EPA numbers and don't care about longevity of the vehicles anymore.
Soichiro Honda must be spinning in his grave.

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
155 Posts
Forums are interesting places, sometimes a microcosm for complaints and problems. I've been driving Hondas for at least 30 years, almost always have had a good relationship with my dealer and used a specific mechanic and took the time to be on a first-name basis with the service manager. As all the (usually) government mandated adaptions to lower emissions, improve mileage etc have made their way into our vehicles and added more complexity, the manufacturers have struggled to maintain reliability and driveability. Realizing the potential issues that all this brings, I have, since about 2000, always purchased Hondacare almost like insurance against higher repair costs due to out of warranty repairs. Surprisingly, I have had only a few instances where it was needed, but it sure paid for itself a couple of times. Honda's have been almost boringly reliable for me, admittedly, I don't extend service intervals, probably go a bit overboard in that area being a believer in proactive rather than reactive. Would I prefer a conventional automatic transmission to the CVT, would I prefer a port-injected NA engine to the 1.5t? Certainly, but I've now owned 6 Honda vehicles with a 1.5 CVT setup without any issues. Do I like the additional complexity and direction that our vehicles are taking, no, but so far Honda's have treated me well. I guess, like some here, eventually I'll be dragged kicking & screaming into a hybrid or electric vehicle, but will probably stay with Honda, and Hondacare.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
399 Posts
I do agree they dont make the hondas like they used to. I dont have any issues with my 2016 CRV, but I also dont have issues with my 2013 Venza either...like literally nothing done other than regular maintenance items. My next vehicle will likely be back to a toyota again or a used Lexus if I can find a good deal.

·
Super Moderator
4,273 Posts
So when Sis bought Her V, she said I hate it! let me know when you want it? why did she hate it. Personal preferences, like TOO BIG! b/c coming from the list of cars I noted she came from a Corolla 2007 ten-year-old car. I can totally agree with Her on the 2 inch increased size. When we were in the HRV, she liked that better, but she really wanted the Rav-4. what stopped Her, Dealership got no clue what they sell! she hated the Black with Orange stitching. Today she got no problem at all with the V
my complaint is the POOR turn radius on all Electric steer cars. But let me tell you as I write this, she is out in the Snow and not the one stuck or feeling like its not safe, its all about how each treats one another. get A good car, it will go a long way. Not one single issue we have like all these forums talk about.

Reactions: PhilF

·
Registered
608 Posts
Never buy the first model change. There have been several TSB updates for the 2015 -- almost as many as the 2017! The biggest one was that, if the CVT software is not updated in accordance with the TSB, it may fail. Not many people understand that TSBs ARE NOT recalls -- and are purely voluntary, but are a very big deal. Honda designed their second generation CVT to be stronger than the 5 speed automatic that it replaced. Both automatics and CVTs can be designed strong, but they both also suffer from the occasional programming error that can cause a fluid pressure issue that can break either design.

As for turbocharged direct injection engines not lasting long, tell that to Ford -- with their 3.5 EcoBoost engines going over 10 years and 300,000 and 400,000 miles! Honda should be every bit as reliable as Ford.

While my wife's 2012 feels stronger from initial acceleration (since there is no spooling), once my 2016 starts moving, it has a lot more power. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Having said that, I would NEVER buy the 1st model year change.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm the OP and as I said the dealer was going to see how much American Honda would cover. The vehicle being serviced mostly at Honda dealerships was a factor even though it's over a year out of warranty and the dealer was able to get American Honda to cover 70% of cost so I am out the door $1920 including tax.

·
Premium Member
CRV-Hybrid EX (actually, my ex is a Prius)
233 Posts
Interesting.

I dodged Honda (sounds like a pun, huh?) twice, in 2007 and 2015, because I just couldn't see how the cars I was looking at were worth the money. Cute, with unremarkable specs and features, 20% above what I would pay for them.

Was hoping to upgrade my sweet Prius to a RAV4 In 2020, but I hate the way the current RAV4 looks, plus there was a Toyota shortage when I was looking. I quite like Blanda as a car, but as a hybrid it's disappointing, and it doesn't seem to be as meticulously thought-out as Toyotas are. My intuition is telling me that post warranty it will have a poor resale value, and unless I become a lot poorer (or a lot richer), I'll be trading Blanda before it hits 36K miles in for a RAV4 Prime, a new Sienna or perhaps a Highlander. Or, if they start making Prius Prime with AWD, that would be of interest, too.

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
155 Posts
I'm the OP and as I said the dealer was going to see how much American Honda would cover. The vehicle being serviced mostly at Honda dealerships was a factor even though it's over a year out of warranty and the dealer was able to get American Honda to cover 70% of cost so I am out the door $1920 including tax.

Thanks for following thru with the outcome, always appreciated. I've always thought that a verifiable service history and a dealer who wants to help are good things when things go awry. No car is perfect and occasionally you get the one that's far from it, I've been lucky I guess. Glad to hear you got a break on this.

Reactions: agentl074

·
Super Moderator
4,273 Posts

Awesome Discount that really is a excellent Resolution, Is there an Expiration to the service and are you going to be doing this soon. we are happy to see this resolved and appreciate the follow up

Fish

·
Registered
197 Posts
I like my CRV, i'm 5'10" and it's perfect. IMO the 2.4l is a great engine that has enough GO for me and coming from a 2009 Civic sedan, theres tons of room either for people or hauling stuff in the trunk area. This is my first CVT tranny so i've been changing the fluid roughly every 28K miles instead of every 30K under extreme conditions. I change the oil filter every change and that the air pressure in the tires is around 34 to 25 psi. Now compared to my mother's 2017 or 18 like she claims, i hate that one. it's always beeping drives differently and the infotainment system is just weird.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am glad that Honda came through! There are some other aftermarket options for those outside of the 36,000 mile warranty, but under 50,000 miles (for initial service). For example, some shops offer transmission, engine, and fuel system protection for 300,000 miles, so long as you keep up with the required services.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles, DoubleTap, but glad they were resolved at less than full price (I'm guessing a transmission is probably around $4,000 or so?).

I have averaged about 6,000 miles a year since buying my 2012 new, and the only major repair I was told was necessary but have so far avoided is a heater-box replacement, which the dealer told me would cost $3,000. (A couple years ago, the heater started making a groaning noise when I first turned it on and cranked the control past the 2 or 3 position. After completely disassembling the dashboard, the dealer said the heater box had to be replaced. I decided to just not crank the control past the 2 or 3 position, and all has been fine since. The air conditioning has not been affected.)

Before the 2012, I owned a 2003 CR-V LX and a 2006 CR-V EX, bought bought new but neither of which I had long enough to cause mechanical problems for me.

Edited to sub in "heater box" for "blower motor." Just checked my maintenance record.

·
Registered
37 Posts
DoubleTap, I feel where you're coming from and I'm glad that your dealer and Honda of America were able to come to a better resolution for you. I'm definitely not in my 70s, but I've been around cars my entire life. My 2016 CRV is my second Honda, which replaced a 2012 Civic. I had owned nothing except American cars before owning both of them. The car I had the longest was a Ford Focus that I bought brand new. True story - that car got rear-ended five times, and it operated just fine when I finally sold it 12 years later. Before that, I had a Taurus that blew a whole engine out, a Chrysler Sebring that was a horrible, horrible vehicle that I purchased impulsively, a Lumina that just straight-up died at six years old, and a Mustang that was totaled out while parked on the side of the road by a drunk driver - I don't have a lot in the way of confidence that vehicle would've lasted very long.

My Civic only needed routine maintenance while I had it. I sold it only because I desperately needed a larger vehicle more consistently after I bought my first home. About two weeks after I bought this 2016 CRV, I needed to replace a harness in the wheelwell that I can't even remember now. I was absolutely livid. It cost about $50 to replace and I did so myself. Outside of that, it has been tires that needed to be placed on that car that were kind of expensive. I recently swapped out the head unit to get CarPlay and I've put a dash camera in the car. As a grown man, I can tell you right now with a little of time separating me from that harness failure, that I enjoy every single aspect of this car now. I haven't wrote all this to hijack your thread, but more so to say this: There are car companies that are vastly better than others in terms of quality. That's something pretty much all of us know. But even the best car company does not get everything 100% correct all the time. If you make enough of anything, something somewhere is going to get screwed up. And it really, really sucks when it happens to you. I'm sorry that it happened, and I hate what happened to the CVT. I'm at 91,600 on mine, and just did an oil change and flushed out the transmission fluid with the new HCF-2 stuff Honda's got out.

There was something about the car that appealed to you when you bought it. Give it some time after the transmission is replaced and see if owning it is better for you after that. If not, you should sell. With that kind of mileage and maintenance history, you will get quite a bit of money for it. It sucks that it came to that, but if it fixes all your problems with the car, then I bet you'll love the vehicle like I do.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had the rough idle issue. Dealer cleaned the throttle body and did the idle relearn procedure on it. Issue is almost all gone. I may need engine mounts to totally remove any vibration but it's barely noticeable now.

Mine is a 13 with almost 100k.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DoubleTap, I feel where you're coming from and I'm glad that your dealer and Honda of America were able to come to a better resolution for you. I'm definitely not in my 70s, but I've been around cars my entire life. My 2016 CRV is my second Honda, which replaced a 2012 Civic. I had owned nothing except American cars before owning both of them. The car I had the longest was a Ford Focus that I bought brand new. True story - that car got rear-ended five times, and it operated just fine when I finally sold it 12 years later. Before that, I had a Taurus that blew a whole engine out, a Chrysler Sebring that was a horrible, horrible vehicle that I purchased impulsively, a Lumina that just straight-up died at six years old, and a Mustang that was totaled out while parked on the side of the road by a drunk driver - I don't have a lot in the way of confidence that vehicle would've lasted very long.

My Civic only needed routine maintenance while I had it. I sold it only because I desperately needed a larger vehicle more consistently after I bought my first home. About two weeks after I bought this 2016 CRV, I needed to replace a harness in the wheelwell that I can't even remember now. I was absolutely livid. It cost about $50 to replace and I did so myself. Outside of that, it has been tires that needed to be placed on that car that were kind of expensive. I recently swapped out the head unit to get CarPlay and I've put a dash camera in the car. As a grown man, I can tell you right now with a little of time separating me from that harness failure, that I enjoy every single aspect of this car now. I haven't wrote all this to hijack your thread, but more so to say this: There are car companies that are vastly better than others in terms of quality. That's something pretty much all of us know. But even the best car company does not get everything 100% correct all the time. If you make enough of anything, something somewhere is going to get screwed up. And it really, really sucks when it happens to you. I'm sorry that it happened, and I hate what happened to the CVT. I'm at 91,600 on mine, and just did an oil change and flushed out the transmission fluid with the new HCF-2 stuff Honda's got out.

There was something about the car that appealed to you when you bought it. Give it some time after the transmission is replaced and see if owning it is better for you after that. If not, you should sell. With that kind of mileage and maintenance history, you will get quite a bit of money for it. It sucks that it came to that, but if it fixes all your problems with the car, then I bet you'll love the vehicle like I do.
Thanks for taking the time for your reply. I am going to keep the vehicle unless there is a a major repair required. The reason is I have more dollars in the car than I could recover in the short term. If I get 5-7 additional years out of it it works out to $285-400 additional cost annually. Not fun but not life altering.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts