Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,908 Posts
I’m glad Honda came through for you. It’s a shame that you had to have the transmission replaced at such a low mileage, but at least it didn’t cost you too much considering the circumstance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am in my 70's and owned 25-30 vehicles some purchased new some used. My first Honda was a 1981 Civic purchased new that was just fine and sold when I moved overseas.

My current Honda is a 2015 EX, I have never been more disappointed in a vehicle that I have owned. I have owned vehicles that were more troublesome however I didn't have high expectations from them as I do from the EX. This vehicle has been meticulously maintained with every service recommended and called for preformed. It has 59,150 miles on it and I have it since new 73 months. It had the vibration at idle issue. It was brought back to the original dealer on Long Island NY and addressed, however the fix was not done as the TSB indicated, they only raised the idle to 800. The fix obviously didn't last and 18 months later I brought it to a dealer in Florida where I now live. They checked with Honda and did the repair as specified in the TSB and got it fixed to a tolerable level, although there still is enough vibration to be noticeable. At 53,000 miles I had to replace the starter. According to the mechanics I have asked, more than a few, that is definitely a premature failure. Of course the EX is on its 4th battery. It has also had a rear window motor and regulator replaced on a window that has been lowered and raised less than 100 times.

Now for the big one the CVT transmission needs replacement. Every single recommended, or required maintenance item has been done on schedule at a dealer or a mechanic that is highly qualified.

The dealer said they will contact Honda and see what kind of financial accommodation they are willing to make with me on the cost of the transmission.

I do not have any complaints with the dealer who has been servicing the car for the past three years and treated me very well.

However after this transmission is replaced I will keep the vehicle until the next significant repair is needed and never purchase another Honda.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I bought my 2014 CR-V two days before the new year. I was offered either the one year old new 2014 or the 2015 and we chose the AT5 speed 2014. My guess was right, sorry for your luck buying such a radical transition.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I bought my 2014 CR-V two days before the new year. I was offered either the one year old new 2014 or the 2015 and we chose the AT5 speed 2014. My guess was right, sorry for your luck buying such a radical transition.
Yep... either the 2014 or the 2016. ... same with the 2017... either 2016 or, I'd go 2019 or even 2020 since it took a while to work out all the bugs. I love my 2016... there were still some TSB updates, but the dealership took care of all of that before I got her.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am in my 70's and owned 25-30 vehicles some purchased new some used. My first Honda was a 1981 Civic purchased new that was just fine and sold when I moved overseas.

My current Honda is a 2015 EX, I have never been more disappointed in a vehicle that I have owned. I have owned vehicles that were more troublesome however I didn't have high expectations from them as I do from the EX. This vehicle has been meticulously maintained with every service recommended and called for preformed. It has 59,150 miles on it and I have it since new 73 months. It had the vibration at idle issue. It was brought back to the original dealer on Long Island NY and addressed, however the fix was not done as the TSB indicated, they only raised the idle to 800. The fix obviously didn't last and 18 months later I brought it to a dealer in Florida where I now live. They checked with Honda and did the repair as specified in the TSB and got it fixed to a tolerable level, although there still is enough vibration to be noticeable. At 53,000 miles I had to replace the starter. According to the mechanics I have asked, more than a few, that is definitely a premature failure. Of course the EX is on its 4th battery. It has also had a rear window motor and regulator replaced on a window that has been lowered and raised less than 100 times.

Now for the big one the CVT transmission needs replacement. Every single recommended, or required maintenance item has been done on schedule at a dealer or a mechanic that is highly qualified.

The dealer said they will contact Honda and see what kind of financial accommodation they are willing to make with me on the cost of the transmission.

I do not have any complaints with the dealer who has been servicing the car for the past three years and treated me very well.

However after this transmission is replaced I will keep the vehicle until the next significant repair is needed and never purchase another Honda.

Well, if you are comparing your '81 Honda with your 2015 Honda - there is your first problem.
Look in the mirror....you will see him standing there!
I worked in a Honda and Olds dealership in '81, those were bullet-proof appliances. They were great drivetrains and got you from a-to-b, but terrible in comfort and crappy bodies. RUST!

Jump to 2015. Honda brought the first CRV to the US in '97, and they have gotten better every year since. I will say great in most every way - until 2015. Honda added a CVT, replacing the greatest 5 speed auto ever. I had one, you have one. Most had the shake, as Honda decided to lower the idle speed for .1mpg gas mileage add. Do - did you know what a CVT was, and if so - why did you buy one? I had experience with Nissan CVT's, so I wasn't scared - but realistic.
So, you've had 25-30 cars in your 70 years. I've had 147, in 60. I can tell you all kinds of stories. Maybe you have a bad one? Don't know, did you have trouble with the other 24-29? You should sell it and buy one of these new techno-nannied-to-death new ones (see how much fun you have there - like driving a bad laptop with poor internet connection and every automaker sells these), or let me say if you want reliable....go find a low-mile 2012-2014 CRV. EX preferred.
My current one has 70K miles, my prior one went 282K, both never had anything but maintenance items. I drive 100k+ miles a year. Best '2' vehicles I've ever had, out of that 147. Quit whining and sell it and go on with life! 🤠

·
Premium Member
34 Posts

I’m on my second CR-V, a 2009 EX bought used and except for a A/C failure & computer failure (not happy!) has been solid. With all that I’ve read here about newer Hondas, especially CR-Vs, I’m very, very hesitant to buy again. The CR-V form factor and amenities are a sweet spot for me and yes, I know that the defect and problem rates probably are below what the anecdotal cases here might led one to believe.

But I’m retired now, so a fixed income dictates that I need to be very careful. If money were no object I might explore the Ridgeline, BUT a plug-in electric vehicle would be a better choice. I’ll be looking at those from other manufacturers. Honda is way behind the hybrid/EV curve.

·
Registered
2017 Civic EX Sedan, 2020 CR-V Touring
52 Posts
Now for the big one the CVT transmission needs replacement.
Age is mostly irrelevant. I reread the thread and your posts and I can find no note on the mileage when the transmission died.

I had a 2001 Civic EX that I owned for 16 years and the transmission died in it after only 155,000 miles. It also had very few other repairs on it over my ownership. What you listed off is more like a good GM or Ford experience. Quality is a long term odds thing. I am on Honda 5 and 6 right now and none of them have been perfect but when I compare my ownerships to everyone around me that refuses to buy Honda or Toyota? Ya, no. Good luck with that.

• 1989 Accord EXi - Drove it till it rusted to hell and then I sold it (Had 240k miles when I did). Owned as a young man so managed to wreck the engine and trans.
  • 2000 CRV EX AWD - No warranty repairs and no repairs outside of normal wear items.
  • 2001 Civic EX - Two struts replaced under warranty. Instrument cluster replaced under warranty. Exhaust manifold had to be replaced due to crack in O2 sensor hole, missed TSB by enough to have to pay out of pocket ($900 Canadian). And of course the Tranny died at 155k miles.
  • 2010 CRV LX AWD - One TSB that I didn't even know about. One warranty claim for paint coming off the roof bars. One "failed" AC compressor (Clutch engagement issue)
  • 2017 Civic EX Sedan (Current) - AC issues dealt with under warranty (Whistle of torture from siphon hose)
  • 2020 CRV Touring (Current) - Transmission mount replaced under warranty in first month of ownership (Known issue with TSB posted in both US and Canadian market)
Your sample size is too small and your expectations are too high. You do you and all that cute sayings stuff but I go by broad overall numbers and the numbers say Honda and Toyota. You want deadly reliable go full Toyota and get a Lexus. But that reliability comes with a hefty price tag.

·
Registered
648 Posts
According to RepairPal (real world repair data from the past 10 years to current models) lists the following most reliable brands:

1. Honda
2. Acura
3. Kia
4. Hyundai
5. Mazda
6. Lexus
7. Toyota
8. Nissan

Those are the top players -- with domestics being less reliable and/or having higher maintenance costs. I'd say we're in a good spot to stay!

·
Registered
7 Posts

From a former 2016 owner,in the daytime turn your 'regular headlights' on,it increases the idle enough to smooth it out. It works! I have gone thru so much trying to get it corrected and the dealer is of no help. I did finally trade in in this past dec. Mine only had 14,000 miles on it too.

·
Registered
2015 Honda CRV EX
44 Posts
So when Sis bought Her V, she said I hate it! let me know when you want it? why did she hate it. Personal preferences, like TOO BIG! b/c coming from the list of cars I noted she came from a Corolla 2007 ten-year-old car. I can totally agree with Her on the 2 inch increased size. When we were in the HRV, she liked that better, but she really wanted the Rav-4. what stopped Her, Dealership got no clue what they sell! she hated the Black with Orange stitching. Today she got no problem at all with the V
my complaint is the POOR turn radius on all Electric steer cars. But let me tell you as I write this, she is out in the Snow and not the one stuck or feeling like its not safe, its all about how each treats one another. get A good car, it will go a long way. Not one single issue we have like all these forums talk about.
"I can totally agree with Her on the 2 inch increased size. When we were in the HRV, she liked that better"

Size matters! :))

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dear OP -you won't get any sympathy in here. The last Honda I will ever own is the 2005 CRV EX that my daughter drives. It's simply falling apart.

The starter died - well known issue. Replace the points if you're handy but it's a bitch getting to the starter.
The locks are failing.
I have a leak somewhere in the rear passenger door.
The master window switch needed replacing. Heh fixed that 2 years ago, just now got the recall notice.
Had to replace the ac compressor - well known issue.

Was in the market 2 years ago for a small SUV. I would not touch the latest gen of CRVs with a 10' pole. I just don't think Honda stands behind their product any longer. I had a 2003 Acura - yep tranny issues. I really believe if they don't get their act together, they'll go by the way of Nissan.

·
Registered
187 Posts
As for turbocharged direct injection engines not lasting long, tell that to Ford -- with their 3.5 EcoBoost engines going over 10 years and 300,000 and 400,000 miles! Honda should be every bit as reliable as Ford.

While my wife's 2012 feels stronger from initial acceleration (since there is no spooling), once my 2016 starts moving, it has a lot more power. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Having said that, I would NEVER buy the 1st model year change.
"Never buy the 1st model year" has been a known adage for most domestic cars, but not so much with Honda. Our 1st gen Fit (2007) had only 1 issue, the ignition coils; which were redesigned and those are flawless. Granted the 1st gen Fit only lasted 2 years and they redesigned the engine in 2009 (made it much simpler for maintenance like replacing the thermostat or radiator or cooling fans, etc. Still have the original starter, alternator, water pump, entire A/C system, power windows, etc., etc. It's been great for a "1st year model". I know Honda had issues with their 1st attempt at a CVT back in the early 2000's (remember the Civic HX?) where it barely lasted 60,000 miles. I haven't heard anything similar with the new CVTs that first appeared in 2015 on select models and in 2016 ALL 4 cylinder Hondas had them (the V6 still uses conventional trans; I suspect the CVT can't handle the power from those engines).

CVTs probably won't ever be used in high powered vehicles as they won't last. Explains why my Mustang GT has a 10-speed automatic instead of a CVT. In fact, even manuals may have issues which is why the current Shelby GT500 only offers a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic; gone is the manual trans (which previous years had a lot of issues).

·
Registered
648 Posts
"Never buy the 1st model year" has been a known adage for most domestic cars, but not so much with Honda. Our 1st gen Fit (2007) had only 1 issue, the ignition coils; which were redesigned and those are flawless. Granted the 1st gen Fit only lasted 2 years and they redesigned the engine in 2009 (made it much simpler for maintenance like replacing the thermostat or radiator or cooling fans, etc. Still have the original starter, alternator, water pump, entire A/C system, power windows, etc., etc. It's been great for a "1st year model". I know Honda had issues with their 1st attempt at a CVT back in the early 2000's (remember the Civic HX?) where it barely lasted 60,000 miles. I haven't heard anything similar with the new CVTs that first appeared in 2015 on select models and in 2016 ALL 4 cylinder Hondas had them (the V6 still uses conventional trans; I suspect the CVT can't handle the power from those engines).

CVTs probably won't ever be used in high powered vehicles as they won't last. Explains why my Mustang GT has a 10-speed automatic instead of a CVT. In fact, even manuals may have issues which is why the current Shelby GT500 only offers a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic; gone is the manual trans (which previous years had a lot of issues).
Well, every vehicle is different, and sometimes, you luck out. As for CVTs... the Williams CVT was used back in 1993 to test as a prototype and after several trials and errors, they finally made a push belt CVT to handle 850hp and 15,000 RPM! So, the technology is definitely there... it's just the cost of producing stronger CVTs and cooling systems that is limiting CVTs to around 250hp right now -- but even the current second generation CVT is 17% stronger than the Honda 5A. That cost will come down as the technology becomes more prominent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm the OP and as I said the dealer was going to see how much American Honda would cover. The vehicle being serviced mostly at Honda dealerships was a factor even though it's over a year out of warranty and the dealer was able to get American Honda to cover 70% of cost so I am out the door $1920 including tax.

Common problem with Honda and other manufacturers. There is a crossover from the coolant system through the transmission, supposed to cool the transmission. The connectors or pipes tend to leak over time. The dealer doesn't routinely check for this at service interval. Sometimes they do noting a small leak and recommending a complete replacement of the crossover. But they will tell you "it is not critical and you can wait". UNTIL your transmission fails because the coolant leaks into the transmission fluid and it dissolves the friction plates. Result: transmission replacement plus radiator and pipes. It happened on my 2004 Acura MDX. The time frame for failure is between 60K to 120K miles. Thus the failure despite complete Honda servicing. Very common flawed design in coolant system. There should be redundancy in the crossover system to circumvent leaks since the two system fluids are incompatible.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Common problem with Honda and other manufacturers. There is a crossover from the coolant system through the transmission, supposed to cool the transmission. The connectors or pipes tend to leak over time. The dealer doesn't routinely check for this at service interval. Sometimes they do noting a small leak and recommending a complete replacement of the crossover. But they will tell you "it is not critical and you can wait". UNTIL your transmission fails because the coolant leaks into the transmission fluid and it dissolves the friction plates. Result: transmission replacement plus radiator and pipes. It happened on my 2004 Acura MDX. The time frame for failure is between 60K to 120K miles. Thus the failure despite complete Honda servicing. Very common flawed design in coolant system. There should be redundancy in the crossover system to circumvent leaks since the two system fluids are incompatible.
Now that is very interesting

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring AWD, Lunar Silver Metallic, Gray Leather
24 Posts
My history with Honda only goes back to 2013, but I have paid attention to the badge since the Civics in early 70's. I believe the largest dilemma that ANY manufacturer has is adherence to escalating gas mileage mandates, while satisfying the consumer's desires. So much Green, chip, sensor and Tech is necessary to deliver enough horsepower, with little fuel, and still make the drive feel like they are driving in style in a powerful machine. My point is that the number of possible failures on current vehicles is astronomically more that when my muscle car need a tune up with a dwell tach and a timing light. We now have greater chance for some sort of failure with these gazillion components, no matter the badge. All things considered, I like our Hondas, which were made here in a America, and worth keeping up with good maintenance to stay rolling in style. Anyone can get a lemon, I get it.

·
Registered
91 Posts

If you are so disappointed with you car, I see the easy fix is to sell it trade it in on a Toyota or Mazda. I owned 6 brand new GM cars in the 70s and 80s. All of them were junk! Most would leave me stranded on the freeway....... just plain old shut off and wouldn’t start back up for at least 30 minutes. Not to mention numerous interior parts that broke, cracked or fell off. I never owned one longer than 3 years...... maximum 42,000 on any of them. I walked away from GM products and went with Honda starting in 1990. There have been minor issues with some of them, but none as serious as the GM cars. So again, sell it or trade it in. Why put yourself through misery with a car you are unhappy with?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
If you are so disappointed with you car, I see the easy fix is to sell it trade it in on a Toyota or Mazda. I owned 6 brand new GM cars in the 70s and 80s. All of them were junk! Most would leave me stranded on the freeway....... just plain old shut off and wouldn’t start back up for at least 30 minutes. Not to mention numerous interior parts that broke, cracked or fell off. I never owned one longer than 3 years...... maximum 42,000 on any of them. I walked away from GM products and went with Honda starting in 1990. There have been minor issues with some of them, but none as serious as the GM cars. So again, sell it or trade it in. Why put yourself through misery with a car you are unhappy with?
Here is the reason I don't sell/trade
Purchase price on January 25, 2015 $27,367 out the door includes all fees and tax. $550 new starter at 53,000 miles
$525 rear window motor and regulator on Dec 18, 2020 $2,280 for the transmission and some sway bar links that had to be cut off because of rust. The car has 59,250 miles. So I am in for $30,722 if I trade I can expect $13,000
I have $3,355 in non recoverable cost leaving me with $9,645.

Not worth trading. It makes more financial sense to keep until the next major expense occurs and then dumping it, or hopefully get 150,000 additional miles with just routine maintenance

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,328 Posts
Not criticizing your decision, just discussing your comments. A car is not an investment. You have had it for six years. You can't count repairs against the value of the car. (what is spent is spent) Based on your estimate of the trade in value, you will get $13,000 for it, not $9,645. Even with your odd math above, your claimed "in it" price of $30,733 minus your assumed trade in value of $13,000 leaves $17,733. Yourownership cost per year? (Not including taxes, lic, maintenance, financing, fuel) $2,955. Compare with Edmunds below.

Your claimed repair costs are $3,355, in SIX years. Edmunds figures $3,108 over FIVE years, so you are ahead of the game! (IF it IS a game!)

From Edmunds:
Selected Model: 2015 CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)
Ownership Costs: 5-Year Breakdown
Year 1Year 2Year 3Year 4Year 5Total
Tax Credit$0$0$0$0$0$0
Insurance$853$879$905$932$960$4,529
Maintenance$1,045$195$2,141$494$1,336$5,211
Repairs$449$520$605$708$826$3,108
Taxes & Fees$1,518$221$185$155$130$2,209
Financing$1,069$864$643$403$147$3,126
Depreciation$3,596$1,416$1,246$1,104$990$8,352
Fuel$1,249$1,286$1,325$1,365$1,406$6,631
True Cost to Own®$9,779$5,381$7,050$5,161$5,795$33,166

·
Registered
648 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I go to an independent service dealer instead of the dealership. The dealership around here is HORRIBLE about inspection. This is also one of the reasons why my shop changes the external transmission line filter... they can make sure all of the connections and seals are in working order -- before they become an issue.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring AWD, Lunar Silver Metallic, Gray Leather
24 Posts
Thankfully we have a Regal Honda here in Lakeland, FL. We have bought two Honda cars, from 'Done Deal Dave', get great service on a first name basis, and prices good enough that I buy my tires there. I prefer OEM parts, including windshield replacements No pressures, courtesy shuttle to and from my office, when I drop car off for service, and always get a courtesy carwash and vacuum. This is not a commercial, but it is why I keep coming back. I can imagine that this may not be the case for everyone, elsewhere, and OEM alternatives are needed.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts