Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an automotive mechanic for 24 years, I have seen a lot of cars and their problems, driven them and heard the patriotic cry...Ford!; Chevy!; Dodge!; Honda!; Toyota!...etc. For me and my family, reliability, enough power to sooth the vroom in us all once in a while, and ergonomic (user friendly) are what are important to us. I've been driving Honda for twenty years and no regrets. From the economical civic, 85 CRX Si and 91 Accord with a MT (the most fun cars), and the last 6 yrs with CRV, there is something that fills our needs. I'm looking forward to hearing how you use yours and maybe learn a thing or two.

I hope Honda straightens out the Auto trans problem before their reputation is shot.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I like your post. Honda's 'fix' is now available and first reports are positive. Ours has been perfect from day one. So glad others now will be restored as they should be. It took way too long. Now it will take a lot of miles, time, reliability, and great performance for owners to regain confidence in Honda.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Honda is a great brand. My lease on my Civic is up in the fall of '17 and we want to get a bigger SUV since we're going to start a family. We don't like the Pilot though, so we're probably going to get a Highlander. Unless Honda does a midlife on the current Pilot.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Honda is a great brand. My lease on my Civic is up in the fall of '17 and we want to get a bigger SUV since we're going to start a family. We don't like the Pilot though, so we're probably going to get a Highlander. Unless Honda does a midlife on the current Pilot.
Just curious as to why you don't like the pilot ? The new pilot has moved away from the boxy shape and I believe has the highest passenger and cargo volume in the segment. I kind of liked the boxy look more !
Also the new select terrain system is fantastic and I have seen videos of the pilot tackle tough terrain with ease.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just curious as to why you don't like the pilot ? The new pilot has moved away from the boxy shape and I believe has the highest passenger and cargo volume in the segment. I kind of liked the boxy look more !
Us too - which, helped by model end clearance prices, made us jump on the '15 Pilot bandwagon and get one before they changed. The old AWD system is good enough for our needs (especially with the ability to manually enable it) and is tried and tested so I know it works. Not really a fan of the new model's look.

But to the OP, yes Honda has served us well over the years too. I'm a bit disappointed by the '15 CRV shaking and to a degree how it's been handled, but even Honda is not immune to new design growing pains. I think all this high technology is impacting the reliability of all manufacturers across the board. I'd love to feel that I could "buy American" and get equal value and reliability, but so far US manufacturers have not demonstrated that to me.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Also the new select terrain system is fantastic and I have seen videos of the pilot tackle tough terrain with ease.
I guess I just don't like the design a lot. The back seems too plain and the side profile is just blah. Not to mention that the wheels on the EX-L look far too small for the vehicle and have balloon tires on it. I did a comparison between the Highlander and the Pilot and you get more with the Highlander for the same money. Not to mention the 5,000lb towing on just FWD with the Highlander vice the 3,500 on the Pilot FWD. I do not want or need AWD. However, Honda has my loyalty and I am hoping they do something by Oct of 2017 when I'm due for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my Honda. This is the second one I had since 1995. I bought my first, two door Accord in Oklahoma, it had a stick shift with over 200,000K. Some jerk sideswiped me in a parking lot in 2007. Since I now live in an area with a very high volume of traffic, I decided to buy an automatic. I sold my Accord (as is) on eBay, the young man who bought it looked at it before bidding. He was a graduate of an auto body school and could repair the damage. When he lifted the hood, he said, " Wow, it's not burning oil!" I lost track of him, but I hope my Accord is still going strong! If you "baby" your Hondas like I do, it will last a long time!! :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
But to the OP, yes Honda has served us well over the years too. I'm a bit disappointed by the '15 CRV shaking and to a degree how it's been handled, but even Honda is not immune to new design growing pains. I think all this high technology is impacting the reliability of all manufacturers across the board. I'd love to feel that I could "buy American" and get equal value and reliability, but so far US manufacturers have not demonstrated that to me.
So what is your definition of 'Buying American'? Place of manufacture does not count?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
So what is your definition of 'Buying American'? Place of manufacture does not count?
I would say "buying American" is an American manufacturer like GM or Ford. I understand the import brands builds cars in the States and Canada, but the money for the vehicles still goes back to Japan or Germany and so on. The problem is that domestic brand cars a crap. They only know how to build the big SUV's and trucks. Just my .02

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
U.S./Canadian Parts Content of 70% were used in the manufacture of my 2015 Honda CRV. It was assembled in East Liberty, Ohio by United States tax paying citizens. The origin of the Engine and Transmission is U.S.A. The majority of the profits made from the sale and my purchase of this Honda manufactured vehicle remain in the U.S.A.

I AM BUYING AMERICAN as much or more so than anyone who buys some vehicle tagged as domestic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts