Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • Take a moment to enter our new BBQ contest here for a chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card! The contest ends on June 30th, so don't delay!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed a comma two without issue.

Then it said randomly to check the connections. After that, it stopped working. I have checked the connections and it doesn't work. It seems to have broken something within the computer as the check engine light came on and it says that a lot of the features like high beam assist are saying they have stopped working.

I have attached a video of what happens when I attach the comma two.

If anybody knows what's going on, please help. I REALLY love the comma two and I hope to get it working again soon.

·
Premium Member
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
2,083 Posts
So the car runs fine with the Comma2 disconnected from the OBD port?
Sounds like it may be throwing garbage onto the bus.
This could be a dangerous situation.
I'd take it up with the Open Pilot people.
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
2,083 Posts
Do you mean the computer bus?

Yes the car runs fine when the OBD port is disconnected.
Called the "CAN bus", you might think it's "car area network" but no, it's "controller area network".
If it worked once, and now doesn't, I'd think it qualifies as "broken". Comma support is your only option AFAIK.
I assume you checked all the connections, the Type-C on the device, and all the included harness connectors.
I'd be most suspicious of the type C USB connector on the Comma device itself. Those connectors are not designed for mobile use in vehicles.
I actually own the kit, but it's one of those "maybe someday" projects. I'm waiting to see if the legal situation becomes more clear.
Unless I have it in writing that my insurance company will cover me with this device installed, I'm not going to do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the CAN Bus is the what the USBC connects to the top part of the car? And what you're suggesting is that it's broken. Like a wire doesn't work or something?

·
Premium Member
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
2,083 Posts
So the CAN Bus is the what the USBC connects to the top part of the car? And what you're suggesting is that it's broken. Like a wire doesn't work or something?
The CAN bus is accessed via the OBD connector.
I was just stating a general engineering principle, anything that isn't a locking connector of some sort doesn't belong in a mobile environment. :)
Of course I'd prefer proper Amphenol connectors, with locking ring, but it might reduce the MPG by .000023 and increase the cost by $7.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,027 Posts
Check the pins at the two connectors.
The one at the unit and the other at the DLC.
If necessary re-install the software for the comma two.
If that doesn't work then must contact customer support

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill double check the pins as well. I have a 2017 touring CRV. It was REALLY tight to get everything to fit in the rear view mirror compartment

1 - 10 of 10 Posts