Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeap.

Well, what can i say? Definitely i am not happy with the AWD system.

I was recording some images with my drone in the dunes near to the farms in Al Ain (i live in UAE). After got some videos, i realized that the car was starting to lose grip, at that moment i saw that the car was not capable to clime a small dune with less them 1,5 metter. I decided to reverse just to avoid the risk of getting stuck in the sand, but it was too late. The car was not moving to any directions. One thing i have seen, the AWD (rear traction) was not engaging when i was trying to reverse to release myself from the sand.

I don't know why, looks like the rear traction does not have enough torque to move the car without the front traction. Suddenly i saw myself stucked under 41掳 Celsius. Thanks, god a local neighbor was passing around and he was able to pull me out using a Nissan 4 x 4 truck.

My impressions. Unfortunately the AWD system is not efficient like 4 x 4 system.
  1. Don't try the same thing i did 馃槀
I will upload a short video showing the place and I will put the link here.

Unfortunately, I did not get on video the moment I got stuck in the sand

V铆deo

Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
Welcome to the forum! The thing about the CR-V is, it is not an off-road vehicle. It's a grocery getter. Having owned Jeeps and 4x4 F250s, I can vouch for that. But it is not marketed as one, either. The AWD system is strictly there to help with traction issues in urban and suburban settings and conditions.

The reasons I have a CR-V now are fuel economy, ride, fuel economy, comfort, fuel economy, and ease of handling/driving/parking. Oh, and fuel economy.

Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
I wouldn't even dare to go near sand in the CRV. I am assuming you have all season tires also.
However, with the best winter tires (Nokian Haka) and deep snow I have driven through snow touching the bumper with no problem.
Nice drone video. I wonder if you have some good offroad tires would you still get stuck. Nothing crazy but maybe BFG all-terrian or somerthing.

Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
A Jeep it is not. I got rid of my Jeep when I had no need to travel threw the mountains on non-existant roads. I loved it, but now that I'm a city driver the CRV is great.

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
Same situation, but in a gen5, with tires with good tread, and I bet you would not have gotten stuck. :)

Reason: contrary to common beliefs among owners......Gen5 CRVs have a new AWD traction system, where there is some traction applied to all 4 wheels literally any time you have any acceleration applied. And it appears most often to be roughly 60/40 between front and rear axles under slow speeds or notable acceleration. Not as good as true 4WD.. but in my experience... pretty close.

This is also one of the main reasons gen5 CRVs handle so well under many variable road conditions, and particularly on cornering and turns.. when all 4 wheels receive torque traction.

Registered
A big problem, everyone keeps calling these AWD. They ARE NOT. Till the new ones. They are an automatic 4wd system.

Not the CRVs fault you got stuck in the sand, likely using crap highway tires and not understanding how to deal with the drive system. Plus didnt you park on the sand? Not a good move when you dont have something equipped for it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
The Gen 2's say Real TIme 4WD. Gen 3's say AWD. Mine has it on the back window. Neither is really accurate. The new ones are still not real AWD or 4WD either. They may be slightly improved, but they are still just better versions of the same thing, which is not real 4x4 or AWD.

Registered
They are all AWD (all wheels get some sort of torque at some point of time but not necessarily simultaneously), the RTWD is just Honda's brand name for a particular technical solution. Other popular solutions in regular road cars are Haldex and Torsen, plus all the new electronic solutions.

Reactions: williamsji

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
A big problem, everyone keeps calling these AWD. They ARE NOT. Till the new ones. They are an automatic 4wd system.

Not the CRVs fault you got stuck in the sand, likely using crap highway tires and not understanding how to deal with the drive system. Plus didnt you park on the sand? Not a good move when you dont have something equipped for it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
No, I did not park on the sand. I got stuck when I was driving through, exactly like on the video. It happened on the second time I tried, the car lost the traction and it was not able to move anymore.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts