Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a STI but I figured I would post as you could use similar process.

The vehichle was in rough shape tonnes of scratches in the clear and a 4.5 foot key scratch on the passenger side.
First I taped off portions of car that I did not want to get wax splatter and the sort all over. Its a good idea to tape all black trim off as a orbital can do wonders to the soft plastic.
For the Bad scratch I started with 2000 grit sandpaper and water--don't sand to deep just enough so it looks like the scratch is gone when wet. This method won't work if the scratch is deeper than the paint below the clear.
nasty scratch

After sanding I used a wool pad with orbital using heavy cut cleaner mequiars no 4

I continued with the heavy cut over the whole side as the car was a mess.

Be careful to not burn the paint by varing location of orbital--takes practice.

Then I moved to a fine cut cleaner mequiars no 2 and completed the whole side again.

Inspect for issue spots and repeat if necessary.

Now its time to make it shine.

Some polish and a foam pad. Followed by wax.

Side with scratch gone

REst of vehicle

It was a lot of work but will worth the effort--I recently did the same to an IS300 I sold in August next victim is the STI in the spring.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wow that looks great! Very nice job. I messed up waxing my car and I have swirls in the clear coat, really noticeable in the sun. Would this stuff get rid of those?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same scratch on my v ..Im going to need you to come over thanks for the inspiration. I havent been motivated to fix it and the scratch occured 4 years ago.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that looks great! Very nice job. I messed up waxing my car and I have swirls in the clear coat, really noticeable in the sun. Would this stuff get rid of those?
It should remember I used a cutting product for swirl marks the fine cut would work followed by polish then wax :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts