Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,
Just wanted to share my early thoughts about our new 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX-L.

We bought it about 2 weeks ago, as a replacement for our 2012 Honda Odyssey for our family vehicle. As a family of 4, the youngest 9 years old, we didn't really need that much space with 3rd row anymore and wanted a smaller, nimbler, much more fuel-efficient, and safer car. This would also be my wife's car. We were considering RAV-4 Hybrid, CR-V Hybrid, and (a wild card) Tesla model Y*.

Two weeks ago, I found out that CR-V Hybrid was available for test drives (I thought it still wasn't available in dealers yet prior) so we arranged for a test drive for an EX-L and was lucky to do the same with RAV-4 Hybrid Limited the next day, the one we tested actually had all the available options, including a pano roof. We chose these trims because of the availability of memory seats. She is petite and I am not馃ぃ.

We decided on the CR-V EX-L for its smooth power delivery (like an EV), quiet and comfortable ride, roomier passenger space compared to RAV-4, and the lowest purchase price among all three we considered. We opted for Lunar silver because of its light gray interior. Didn't like the other exterior colors with the same interior.

I've put about 70 miles so far and really like it. It has similar acceleration (if not better) around town compared to the Odyssey, no shift shocks, super quiet and smooth, and best of all twice the MPG (38)!!!

Due to the current situation, she just started driving it yesterday and is still trying to get used to the EV-ness. All my commuter cars have been manual (the latest is VW Golf) so she never got to drive a different car. Test drives were too short to notice much for her. I am still confident she will get used to it soon!!!

I've put on Honda all-weather floor mats, splash guards, trunk tray, and a magnetic phone holder (on the right side of the shifter, below the EV button). Plan to plasti dip the wheels and the emblems black and that's about it.

*We actually put down 2,500 deposit for model Y in early Jan (right before they raised the price after their Q4 call) for a long-range dual motor model. We got notified in late March for delivery but decided to postpone to next March, hoping for better quality (Tesla is not known build quality) and the newness of Tesla Model Y to wear out. She didn't want attention, as where she works, people only drive "regular" cars. Her boss's cars were all bought from a special dealership specializing in salvaged cars. We test drove a performance model 3 (that's the closest our local showroom had) and I was really impressed by the smoothness and acceleration. She wasn't comfortable testing driving. There were articles claiming Tesla 3/Y would have also a comparable cost-to-own (long term) because of almost no maintenance and very low depreciation but we also decided not to take the risks owning such a very different car.

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
Nice i was looking at the y prior to covid madness since nj has $5000 off all evs but if something happened to my ex i鈥檇 prob get a crv hybrid at this point

The. Admin. Istrator.
Welcome!

Excellent review and good that you bought the CR-V and not the RAV4.

In true tradition, please do share your pics of the new machine! Look forward to seeing it!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. It looks just like other 2020 silver CR-Vs on the road. Will post pictures after I plastic dip the wheels.
Finally got around to paint the wheels!!!

I wasn't sure about black wheels in general but I also really didn't like the high contrast and flower-like design of the original 18" (US) EX-L wheels. (US Touring has 19" wheels which I liked better but I didn't want to spend the extra). Now with the wheels painted, I am in love. IMHO, having them painted black, matching the black cladding, gives the car a modern look and gets rid of the busy look of the original wheels. I know I am biased as I spent hours doing this. I also painted all the emblems with the same peelable paint.

Don't know how long this peelable paint will last but supposedly it should last about 3+ years.

Just some tips for anyone trying to do the same. When painting, try to hold the spray can closer to the wheel, perpendicular to the targeted surface (also watch for the tips from Dip Your Car on YouTube) to get rid of the very "texture" and rough finish once dry, which happened to me and the finish would catch lint from micro-fiber cloth. I wish I knew this. Luckily I was able to use a UV coat (designed for plastic trims) to get rid of most of this texture feel and make it smoother to the touch. It also gives the finish some sheen to make it look even more black. With this treatment, I can hand rub the caught lint off.

The. Admin. Istrator.
Quite partial to the orginal silver wheels actually. A design thats not available on this side of the pond sadly!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I like the design of this wheel as well, especially compared to earlier 5th gen CR-V wheel, that looks like Ninja weapon "shuriken". I just don't like the contrast (in certain lighting) and shape of the silver accents with the rest of the wheel (example below). Painting it black is one of the least expensive ways I could think of. I appreciate your honest feedback nevertheless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts