Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting Guys,
So i just purchased my first car ever, a Honda CRV 2008 with 56,000 mileage on it, and i am like a kid in the candy store, reading everything up and shopping for my oil change from amazon and other necessary original parts that i may need.
So please offer recommendations on the basic things i need to change and look out for.

thanks

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum and a CRV owner.
Replace the cabin filter and air filter...the cabin filter may have never been changed...if not sure where it is or how to replace it just do a Google search and you will find You Tube videos on how it is done.

Probably good idea to replace the transmission fluid.
Have the engine coolant checked...perhaps replace anyway but replace if necessary.
Check wear on the brake pads...it might be worth it to replace them, one set at a time even, if worn but not damaging the rotors...you might get more life out of your rotors this way...as long as new pads don't start a vibration issue when braking. I did this several months ago on my 2012 CRV...the rear pads were down to the rotors so I replaced rotors and pads on the rear brakes...mechanic said the front pads were just about at the half way point and the rotors were in great condition so I had him replace the pads only and the brakes work great with no vibration issues at all.

Good luck with the V...we love ours.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Welcome to the group hope your first car becomes a positive memory !! More info would be helpful for these folks to give you the best suggestions possible ! Buy from a private party or a dealer (CPO car or ??) What level of mechanical experience do you have ?? I too buy maintenance parts and fluids off Amazon. If you shop carefully, you can get free shipping and no sales tax. VERY low mileage on a 7+ year old car !! Between this group and things like youtube, you should be OK. Have fun. Craig

·
Registered
776 Posts
Take the owner's manual to bed with you and read it thoroughly (great for insomnia). It will answer all or most of your concerns. Filters and fluids are your main concerns initially. You can take it from here. Craig

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Everybody, for your useful information.

drivezki, LOL, not my first time driving, just my first time my name will be appearing on a car lease :)
magnumpii, i read the PDF copy over and over before i even got the hard-copy from, so i knew what to look out for. I got it from a private party, it was used by a lady, but unfortunately i was not able to get the oil from amazon as it would have taken weeks to deliver, had to buy it from a local shop in my area. I'm more of an instrumentation/electrical guy but very much a DIY guy, so would definitely experiment in future.

thanks otto888man and Coastie05 :) unfortunately it didn't come with a maintenance record but it is in very good condition engine wise, (interior is a different story).

Kai Winters, I'll take ask the mechanic to change the filters on Monday as i skipped that part today. I have replaced all the engine oil, transmission oil, break fluid. All the breaks were checked and in good condition and i can drive it for sometime.

I still need your help, I took the V for servicing today but i was unable to get the recommended oil based on the manual, instead the mechanic got a Mobil 1 Oil 5W-30, as against 0W-30, can i still go with this? also my location is Nigeria, based on the humid condition will this affect the choice of oil i should use? as I'm guessing from people's comment on that 0W-30 is really good for the cold period in between. Also the total quantity of oil i bought was 5 liters, is that too much?

The interior of the car has some major issues, that will be handled on Monday, but I'm very satisfied so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
776 Posts
As hot as it is in Nigeria, I'd think you can use that oil with no problems. An oil change with filter takes a splash over 4 quarts. I have a friend inthe State Department who was just transferred out of Lagos about 2 months ago !! Evidently, driving is quite an adventure there !! His HHR Chevy survived so you'll be just fine as well. Had we known your location, we might have answered some of your concerns differently !! Craig

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Congrats Abita! Your '08 CR-V looks to be a jewel in the rough. Under your care I'm sure you can restore it to the condition it deserves and will serve you well for a long time to come. Yes, your owner's manual is your best friend. This is a very good forum and members here will respond to help you when asked. Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts