Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, I bought my car on saturday. Upon purchasing it and driving at night for the first time, it felt like I was driving with no headlights at all. I'm used to HID headlights and when you switch from one car with HIDs and another without one, the difference truly is night and day.

So, I purchased a $29.99 amazon HID kit made by Innovated. 6000 Kelvin temperature rated bulbs which should give it a crisp white color. Not a fan but they did not have the 4300 Kelvin in stock. So, I opted for it.
Now, I know I will get the whole "cheap kit you get what you pay for" and that's okay. I'm just testing it out at the moment.

So, onto my installation, supplies needed:
- HID kit
- Velcro mounting tape.
- Zip tie(just in case)
- Pliers(to rotate the bulbs once in place)
- Scissors(if needed)
- Electrical tape(if needed)

20171219_191220224_i_OS.jpg

Upon looking at the kit itself, I noticed a few things wrong already. The return wire on one of the bulbs is not what it should be.
bulbs.jpg

I'll let that go for now.
Now, time to prep the ballasts. Using the velcro in place, put them on the flat side.
20171219_191525209_i_OS.jpg

Now, to look for the perfect mounting position for the ballasts. I found these to be optimal FOR MY CASE. IT DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL WORK FOR YOU BUT USE THIS AS REFERENCE.
- Passanger side will be next to the wiper fluid reservoir in a vertical position.
20171219_191842541_i_OS.jpg

- Driver side will be on the wheel fender itself.
20171219_191847010_i_OS.jpg

Went to test out the HID kit before I install them and what do you know?
The polarity is reversed! So, I cut the wires ON THE KIT and wired them the other way around. Black with red and red with black. DO NOT TOUCH THE CAR HARNESS AT ALL.

Now that I know they work correctly, I go onto mounting installing the bulbs and ballasts.
For the Passanger side, there will be a tight fit. So, with a flat screw driver, pop the plastic piece out and move the wiper fluid reservoir to the side. You do not need to take the whole thing out. Put the bulbs in and easy peasy.

Now, installing the ballasts. They go in the same place I told you about. Next to the reservoir. Once installed, pop the clip back in and you're good to go.

Moving onto the Driver side. This one is MUCH EASIER.
Here is where I mounted the ballast. Since it's attached to the wheel fender and it's plastic, you push the ballast with your left hand towards the ground, then your right hand will push towards the hood creating pressure so the stickiness of the back side of the velcro strips will adhere.

And that's all there is to it!
Now, I will be waiting until it gets dark out to adjust the headlights to the correct height!
So, I'll be updating this tonight!

Edit:
How to properly aim your headlights. This is a drawing I just made. This works with everything whether it's halogen, LEDs or HID's.
Improperly aimed headlights with such height will, regardless of what you use, blind oncoming traffic.
The height from the ground to our low beam is 37" whereas a normal passanger car will be at 29.5".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:
Aiming done. Just needed not even a quarter of a turn.

And this is how it should be:

Perfect aim adjustment will always hit the beam under side mirrors:

Cost was only $29.99. Hopefully they will last. At least I'm guaranteed 2 yrs out of them. I have my backup. 2 Matsu****a gen3 ballasts found on nissan/infiniti cars. But lets see how these hold up.

Here's a video:
Not the best video because I only had my iphone and it was on 720p mode so i won't have to upload a gigantic video. But I just want you guys to see the crisp cut-off line and how it never goes above side mirrors for either the car in front of me or oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why did you choose not to use a relay just wondering.
thanks for the post!
There is no need. Our cars already have separate fuses for each headlight low beam. So, in essence, a relay will prevent voltage drop but our cars already regulate that. Not only that but the power to the ballasts is 35w yet our cars are made to handle 55w. We are way below that.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Since the reflectors aren't designed for HID bulbs, how are you addressing the glare that oncoming vehicles will be exposed too?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since the reflectors aren't designed for HID bulbs, how are you addressing the glare that oncoming vehicles will be exposed too?
The CR-V has no reflector housing but projectors instead. That's why it's okay but to be honest, the beam spread isn't that impressive. I used to be into the whole retrofit.
However, my civic is no longer in service. I woke up to this. But it's only the hood, bumper and my retrofitted headlight that needs a swap. Nothing else was damaged.
The alarm didn't even go off so I'm kinda pissed off still. Drives fine. For now, it's parked on my driveway instead of the street until I can fix it up. It'll cost as much to fix as my deductible so ehhhh

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
The CR-V has no reflector housing but projectors instead. That's why it's okay but to be honest, the beam spread isn't that impressive. I used to be into the whole retrofit.
I wasn't aware that the CR-V headlights had changed to a projector.
Some quick searches and that appears to be a change with the 2015 models.
So I apologize for my comment about glare.

BTW you might want to update your profile, as it says you're driving a 2000 LX.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't aware that the CR-V headlights had changed to a projector.
Some quick searches and that appears to be a change with the 2015 models.
So I apologize for my comment about glare.

BTW you might want to update your profile, as it says you're driving a 2000 LX.
So you just came to this section to trash on things you don't know? Come on!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Someone has thin skin :=) Racoon asked a valid question and I didn't think he trashed your very nice write up.
I think you should apologize
Remember this Holiday season

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry I offended you. I'll avoid commenting on your posts in the future.
oh wow I did not mean it like that lol. No worries as i said in my previous comment. I was just trying to use sarcasm but it obviously did not register that well

·
Registered
6 Posts
How are the HID's holding up? I have been reading the posts in the LED bulb thread and saw that you went with a HID kit instead of a LED kit. I'm looking for a upgrade that will be brighter than stock.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How are the HID's holding up? I have been reading the posts in the LED bulb thread and saw that you went with a HID kit instead of a LED kit. I'm looking for a upgrade that will be brighter than stock.
It's not bad! The light flickers but its not that on-off flicker or those disco-lights flickering. It's just as if something is moving or loose on bumps I know it's not the ballast or bulbs because it does the same with the halogen bulb. That's to do with the projector and how it secures the bulb to it. It's called the bulb holder. It's poorly designed. So, when there's a harsh bump, the bulb itself will move. That causes the "flickering" effect. It's not distracting at all though.

With regards to the HID kit itself, I'm very happy. Everything works as it should. At -19F, both bulbs fired right up without any issue. I've yet to encounter a problem. For $29, it's well worth it. Width from the projectors is Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide. Not as wide as a real HID projector but it still 3x better than what I'd get from an LED bulb and 5-6x better than what I'd get from the stock halogen bulbs. The difference is truly night and day. If i were to change something on installation, it'd be to use those ez-pass velcro strips instead of the cheap generic velco strips i bought. Those really do hold up the ballasts well enough. But hey, the cheap velcro strips I used are still holding strong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I pulled the trigger and got the same set up for my CRV I ordered them on a Thursday and got them buy Saturday. Thanks to your pictures it only took my about 15 to 20 min to install them. I did not cut the wires like you did. I flipped the pull over and tapped the connection with electrical tape instead. I can really tell the difference at night and now my wife wants me to get a set of HID for her 2016 Civic.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I pulled the trigger and got the same set up for my CRV I ordered them on a Thursday and got them buy Saturday. Thanks to your pictures it only took my about 15 to 20 min to install them. I did not cut the wires like you did. I flipped the pull over and tapped the connection with electrical tape instead. I can really tell the difference at night and now my wife wants me to get a set of HID for her 2016 Civic.
Best upgrade to my crv to date!
Next is the chinese leather steering wheel cover for $19.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Congratulations on installing illegal headlights on your cars. No matter what you do to "point them to the ground" you still get blinded depending on terrain. Also they are great when someone is behind you and is blasting in your mirrors.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
19 dollars is too much. I paid 3 bucks for this
Sweet!! But this is the one I bought:

Congratulations on installing illegal headlights on your cars. No matter what you do to "point them to the ground" you still get blinded depending on terrain. Also they are great when someone is behind you and is blasting in your mirrors.
Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know the projectors on the car that came with my CR-V had no cutoff shield thus producing no cutoff at all and blinding oncoming traffic.
Oh my god the halogens must've been doing the same! I should sue Honda!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts