Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CR-V SE 4WD (Rhonda), Redondo Red Pearl
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
April 20th, 2021: Instagram and Import Fees

Hey y'all

So basically the idea of what a "realistic budget" is has been bouncing around my head for the past little while. After giving it a bit of thought, I'd rather not spend over $300 for the bull bar/roof basket/side steps, and no more than $1000 overall. This obviously is going to restrict my abilities for upgrades, but without having a steady income at the moment, I'm gonna have to unfortunately think things through logically in terms of cost. I was feeling pretty good on my choices so I figured I'd hit the checkout on CARiD to see if there was going to be any other expenses. NOW, when I first came across CARiD, I was under the impression that it was a Canadian based site, and that shipping would be free. Obviously, I was wrong.

As a result, my order cost more than doubled from the prospected $750 CAD to $1,880 CAD.

This is a little too steep for me, so I'm going to be taking a new, more cost friendly approach to obtaining accessories. In other words, It'll be back to the drawing board for now.

In other news, I stumbled across some pretty cool CR-V Instagram pages last night while browsing the #overlanding, #crv, and #crv2ndgen tags:

• @chill_roam_vibe: Guy has done various mods to his CR-V and takes it on adventures. It also looks pretty close to what I'm aiming to get mine to look like. (2006 CR-V, Red)
  • @crv_wander: Another close representation of how I want my V to look (also I think he's friends with the guy above? lol) He's done a few different cool mods as well. (2003 CR-V, Silver)
  • @wangtastic: While not CR-V related at all, he's a distant friend of mine and provides a lot of inspiration and motivation to my project
  • @CRVdad: Based out of California, this guy has a lot of cool posts and seems pretty personable (I've gotten pretty quick responses from him) . Another great role model. (2002 CR-V, Brown)
  • @SoCalCRV: All things CRV in California. Includes posts on both dropped and lifted CR-Vs of all types. Great for finding more pages.
This has got me inspired to start a page dedicated to Rhonda's progress once I actually begin building and upgrading a bit more.

Jeff

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
April 24th, 2021: The Project Begins

Howdy y'all

So basically, I was able to get my hands on a few pieces of hardware over the last 2 days:

• Curt roof rack + extension + cargo net came in the mail ($442 CAD)
  • Jerry can holder came in the mail ($42 CAD)
  • ~50 smaller planks that run the width of the interior of my V to act as cross supports for the bed (Free, was being thrown out by my student society)
  • Thicc ass foamy to act as the bedding (Free, my GF has a few that she never uses)
  • Black fabric for curtains (Free, old tablecloths I had)
I was also able to ditch all of the stuff I had stored in my truck/backseats that needed to be dropped off at the university, so Rhonda's ready to get some work put in :) While I may still have a final this Monday and Friday, I'm pretty tapped out in terms of studying. This project is really acting at the light at the end of the tunnel and it's taking a lot out of me to stop myself from just heading out to the garage and messing around with designs.

I've also got my Instagram account up and running @xXCRV_LOVRXx! I'll be posting similar content there, but also sharing a lot more of the inspiring stuff, travel photos, and maintenance/work shots.

Jeff

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
April 27th, 2021: Mail to the Chief

Howdy, y'all

For the last few days, the mail has been good to me. I not only got my cargo basket, net, extension, and jerry can holder, but also the 2x fog lights. I decided to start piecing the basket together to make some space in the garage and because I'm getting pretty excited. From what I've read online, a lot of people have issues with the Curt/similar style roof baskets, so I anticipated this as-well. After unpacking, I found that the rack was missing a "rubber stopper" at the end of one of the extension tubes. I didn't think too much of this, as I was aware that the stoppers really didn't stop water from getting into the pipes anyway. I also noticed that the "back panel" piece did not actually screw into the rack, despite their instructions (the tightness of the fit without attaching with any hardware is already decent, so I didn't look too much into this either). I read online that it recommended that you fill all of the connection points and weld points with caulking before use, so I did exactly that (I used white caulking at the connections + on the underside of the top bar where the welds exist)

I figure by the time I get home from work today it should be dry. To really make sure things don't rust and to give it a cleaner look, I'm going to be wrapping each of the potential exposed parts in black electrical tape. Afterwards, I'm gonna check arounds and see if I can get any nice white decals to slap on the wind guard.

While I'm excited for things to arrive, I'm also a bit stressed as to how I will be connecting the fog lights to the system. From what I've seen online It doesn't look to hard, but electrical work has always been out of my expertise. Regardless, I'm prepared to work with it. Adding to this, of course, I found these on my local marketplace:

I'm not sure of the width of the light bar, but I figure with it being the same colour as Rhonda and since I was looking for some roof lights anyway, these might be perfect. As far as the wheels go, I'm waiting on a response from the seller to check the bolt pattern.

After work I'm gonna hit up princess auto to grab a jerry can and maybe check out everything else they have lol. Realistically I should put an IMMEDIATE CAP on spending, but we'll see what the summer brings I guess.

EDIT: Aw shit the jerry can mount doesn't fit. I definitely should have taken a closer look at some of the images other people have shared, I now see clearly that the had to add a spacer to account for the frame + jug clearance. In other news, I taped up the cargo basket and she's good to hit the roof!

Jeff

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
April 29th, 2021: Rolled over 200K!

Howdy, y'all.

Last night Rhonda rolled over 200K. To celebrate, I fixed her up with the finished cargo basket, and she's lookin pretty hot 🥵🥵🥵 Additionally, I was able to score a few more pieces for my camper project, and may have found a solution for a spacer for my jerry can mount. Unfortunately, I can't really mess around with any of it until Monday, as I'll be writing my last final tomorrow, and I'll be celebrating my GF and my birthdays over the weekend.

Jeff

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
May 4th, 2021: Anyone Thirsty?

Good morning, y'all.

Yesterday I was able to mess around with the jerry can holder, and I worked out a temporary solution. Basically I put in 2" spacers on the licence plate holder to attach the jug, and then used a bungee to secure the bottom part of it by attaching one end to the bottom of the frame, and the other end to the storage space on the inside of the door. Unfortunately, the bracket that is used to secure the jerry can is only compatible with a different type of jerry can, meaning that it was too short for my jug. To get around this issue, I found 2 scrap pieces of aluminum, ran some bolts through them, and threw on some combo locks. While this looks secure, it can fairly easily be moved to the side to access the jug (PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY JUG).

I really like how it looks, but I'm still gonna have to rip off the back panel to make sure that the mount can sustain a full load of water. Also in the last few days I was able to get my hands on the foam pad, and came up with a solution for the awning. Basically, I will be mounting the projector screen (8' long, screen projects 6ish' out) to the driver side of the roof rack. Upon pulling it out, I will have 2 tripod supports (already have these thankfully) to keep it up, along with 2 ropes ion each corner to keep it from falling over in the wind. I have yet to determine how I will be mounting it to the roof rack itself without damaging it too badly, but I don't suspect this to be too difficult to accomplish.

Jeff

·
Registered
2004 Honda CR-V EX 5 Speed Manual
83 Posts
Nice build so far! I see you got some rear sag with all that extra weight! What I'm using to reduce the rear sag are Sumosprings for the rear coils. CSS-1125 | Coil SumoSprings for various applications / 1.25 inch inner wall height | Left/Right Pair | Made in the USA | SuperSprings® International, Inc.

these spring helpers have attached in between the spring coils and really help with rear sag. I use them because I have a rotopax fuel mount on my spare tire and I'm planning on getting a hitch as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Nice build so far! I see you got some rear sag with all that extra weight! What I'm using to reduce the rear sag are Sumosprings for the rear coils. CSS-1125 | Coil SumoSprings for various applications / 1.25 inch inner wall height | Left/Right Pair | Made in the USA | SuperSprings® International, Inc.

View attachment 147413

these spring helpers have attached in between the spring coils and really help with rear sag. I use them because I have a rotopax fuel mount on my spare tire and I'm planning on getting a hitch as well.
Uh oh, this could be a setback. After looking through the photos, I've noticed it has ALWAYS looked that way. I went for a walk around my neighborhood this evening and checked one of the other 2nd Gens to see if they had a similar sag (they did not). Is this something I should be worried about? How might this affect my plans to lift it? tyia.

Jeff

·
Registered
83 Posts
Uh oh, this could be a setback. After looking through the photos, I've noticed it has ALWAYS looked that way. I went for a walk around my neighborhood this evening and checked one of the other 2nd Gens to see if they had a similar sag (they did not). Is this something I should be worried about? How might this affect my plans to lift it? tyia.

Jeff
Are the coil assemblies in the rear and front of the original equipment parts? You might want to check to see if they are still good or if they are leaking oil. Also try the bounce test and see if they just bounce up or down a few times or just bounce once or twice.

Also, do you have a lot of stuff in the rear?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Are the coil assemblies in the rear and front of the original equipment parts? You might want to check to see if they are still good or if they are leaking oil. Also try the bounce test and see if they just bounce up or down a few times or just bounce once or twice.

Also, do you have a lot of stuff in the rear?
Solid point. I bought it second hand and luckily for me, the owner kept a history of all the work that they had done on it. Might have to rip through that tomorrow to check. As for the rear load, I'd say I have roughly 80 lbs - 100 lbs located in the back. I don't entirely believe this is the cause due to all of my previous photos showing sag in the rear (but I will definitely try removing everything while it's on a flat, level surface).

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
After doing a bit more digging, I'm suspecting that the rear springs may need to be replaced entirely. This wouldn't come as a complete surprise as the family that owned it before me bought it new and had used it for quite a few camping trips with their children (I can only assumed that they hauled quite a bit of stuff around regularly as well).

That raises the question then; if I'm going to replace the rear strut assembly, should I also replace the front?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah when I got my crv a year ago I have to change all the struts. I got parts from 1aauto but sadly they don’t ship to Canada anymore. I heard KYB assemblies are really good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah when I got my crv a year ago I have to change all the struts. I got parts from 1aauto but sadly they don’t ship to Canada anymore. I heard KYB assemblies are really good.
Yeah that's what I've been seeing as well. It looks easy enough to replace the set at about $350, although I've also read this might affect the wheel alignment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
A good saying to follow “maintenance before mods”.
Yeah no kidding, I'd rather my vehicle be operable before anything else lol. No point in prepping it for a long road trip if it can't leave the driveway. Had you not pointed out the sag it would have been a while before I actually noticed it, so thanks for that!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Springs sag over time, normal wear and tear. If you're planning on doing a lift, I suggest Dobbinsons springs. They are a reasonable lift for the Gen 2, that doesn't put extra stress on driveline parts. I've had them on mine and highly recommend them.

·
Registered
2003 CR-V EX AWD
8 Posts
@Spideypop how do the lifter/stiffer springs affect the ride quality?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts