Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Honda Crv SE AWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so my thermostat failed about a month ago, and finally got around to fixing it, so I brought my new thermostat to my mechanic and said he wouldn't need it cause he said he would cut the thermostat I already have and leave it half open just a bit, so coolant can constantly flow through engine without burning to much gas and stuff he said. He also mention that newer thermostats are to hard or stiff and that older engines can't withstand the pressure of newer thermostat and cause my engine to fail or blow a headgasket persay, and that I wouldn't need to have a newer thermostat cause I live in Florida and it gets to hot here already to be putting in newer thermostat, so he left it half open. While my another mechanic is saying that my I need to put in a new thermostat cause of other said issue that can happen or is happening, and that I should have one actually working. Can anyone give me ideas or what should I really do, cause last the thing I want to do is spend money on a new engine.

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
214 Posts
Get a thermostat from honda and put it in. I don't recommend aftermarket thermostats in hondas. Just because someone calls themselves a mechanic, does not mean that they are. The guy probably has good intentions but you don't go accomodating for issues that hypothetically could exist. Fix it correctly. There is a laundry list of reasons why you should run a thermostat.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,075 Posts
You say your two machanics, I say get together with them as a Team, and have one of you do what @JohnTaper said

get a Original one at honda, they will not fail you wrong. You can not do the job then tell the person to do the job

Reactions: rocky

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,932 Posts
X2 the suggestion to get a Honda t-stat.

On Gen1s, aftermarket 'Stats make the engine run hot. In fact, some Canadian owners prefer that, so that they get more heat. But you sure as heck don't need that in sunny Florida!

With the 'cut' thermostat, the engine will not warm up as fast, and may in fact cause the automatic transmission to stay in 3rd rather than shift to 4th (OD). ( It does that to warm up the engine quicker...EPA thing.)

Reactions: rocky

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,820 Posts
That's the last time you should use that so called mechanic. What a half assed job. Your life is in their hands. I wouldn't want a half assed brake job from them.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Honda thermostat for the win.

Although I've used Stant (they were a local company) and had no issues in my '97.

With the 'cut' thermostat, the engine will not warm up as fast, and may in fact cause the automatic transmission to stay in 3rd rather than shift to 4th (OD). ( It does that to warm up the engine quicker...EPA thing.)
Yep--when my thermostat was bad in my '97, it would take about 20 minutes of freeway driving at 70 MPH+ before the torque converter would properly "lock up" and run the engine at the proper RPM, vs. about 500 RPM higher. I seriously thought it was a transmission issue until I replaced the thermostat.

That's the last time you should use that so called mechanic. What a half assed job. Your life is in their hands. I wouldn't want a half assed brake job from them.
That mechanic is a complete and total idiot. I've never heard of "cutting" a thermostat--that's a new one on me. Those types of hack mechanics give them all a bad name, unfortunately. The coolant system is designed as it is for a reason, and the thermostat helps retain that delicate balance of keeping the engine running at an exact temperature. And now some hack "armchair engineer" thinks he knows better than Honda and suggests altering a thermostat?

That's the type of person who would screw up a one-car funeral...

·
Registered
2001 Honda Crv SE AWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honda thermostat for the win.

Although I've used Stant (they were a local company) and had no issues in my '97.

Yep--when my thermostat was bad in my '97, it would take about 20 minutes of freeway driving at 70 MPH+ before the torque converter would properly "lock up" and run the engine at the proper RPM, vs. about 500 RPM higher. I seriously thought it was a transmission issue until I replaced the thermostat.

That mechanic is a complete and total idiot. I've never heard of "cutting" a thermostat--that's a new one on me. Those types of hack mechanics give them all a bad name, unfortunately. The coolant system is designed as it is for a reason, and the thermostat helps retain that delicate balance of keeping the engine running at an exact temperature. And now some hack "armchair engineer" thinks he knows better than Honda and suggests altering a thermostat?

That's the type of person who would screw up a one-car funeral...
Yeah, I have no clue why he did this, cause now my catalytic converter went bad on my CRV sounds like something is rattling inside of it, and my car feels sluggish after he did that to my CRV, he told me that the thermostat is a system that he said "he eliminates" cause he told me that newer thermostat are designed to be too stiff or something and that my old engine wouldn't be able to maintain the pressure of the new thermostat.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just some food for thoughts.
An open or partially open T. Stat WILL destroy yor catalitic converter. The engine never warms up to normal temps so the ecu keeps dumping fuel to raise the temps. This is exactly what happens when the engine is dead cold. Have you ever wondered why the rpms are higher when you first start your car in the morning? Once you drive the engine warms up and idle drops to normal.
If you are concerned about aftermarket thermostats go with Honda, if not make sure you buy a fail safe thermostat if available.
If they fail under hot conditions they are designed to stay open to allow a free flow. I've used them and no problems so far. The down side is that if you don't remove and reset if it activated the fail safe mechanism the engine will run cold until replaced, assuming you fixed what caused it to overheat and did not serviced the thermostat.

And as said before your transmission ALSO needs the engine cooling to operate at a temp range(thermostat running as designed by honda.)
I bet you don't make 25 miles a gallon.
Your engine will wear out faster than normal as well, that excess fuel will dilute the engine oil as well degrading it.
The only time removing a tstat was a so or so practice under normal condition was back when cars used carburetor AND on very hot climates.

Lol yes I've been around cars that long. People used to do that back in late 70s and early 80s when fuel injection cars started using computers and fuel injection systems(electronic or mechanical F.I. systems)

Just my opinion and. 02 cents

I'm in central FL btw

1 - 8 of 8 Posts