Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving a 1997 CRV since 2006, it was a great ride and had 330.006 miles on it when I retired it. So, I got me a 2008 model which I love. This truck is nothing like my 97 model, especially in the way it drives. The one thing that bugs me is a slight hesitation between shifts, most noticeable from 1st to second and second to third. Is this normal? I was told that the shifting is computer controlled in the 3rd Gen and this may be what I am feeling?

Any Help will be appreciated,
Derek

·
Registered
901 Posts
I still own my 98 crv and yea the build quality and materials used are different nowadays. Now cars rust as soon as they leave the showroom. Before it was real metal but nowadays they use cheap metal like aluminum and put a shiny metallic polish on it. So when you buy it the polish shines, but after a few years the cheap metal starts to rust and trouble. To answer your question I think their is a ECO mode to save fuel. You have to turn that off.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. 330,000 miles is a huge accomplishment. I plan on keeping my V until I hit 200,000 miles, which at this rate I will have it for about 20 years haha. Let's see some pics of the new and old V's.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Don't know about the shifting, but be sure to check the atf for color, clarity and smell.(red-pinkish,clear, no burnt smell)
Very easy to change it, if needed. Use either Honda DW-1 or another compatible synthetic atf. Lots of owners have had great results with Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc atf (around $18/gal at Walmart).
If the fluid is not looking good, do 4 drain and fills with driving in between.

Not sure if your '97 had a cabin air filter in it, but your 08 does. Worthwhile to check it.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
280 Posts
The 97 has a cabin filter, but it was a pain to change, had to take the cross member off that holds the glove box out to get the filter out. I traded our 97 just this year for a new HRV, it only had 186000 miles. One of the used car guy at the dealer has it now as his winter beater. It was a great car, too bad the rear quarters were rotting away.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took care of it but also mistreated it. It was taken off road very frequently. It took me to over 200 waterfalls in the Carolinas, Georgia and Tennessee. It took me on countless hours and many miles of forest roads looking for reptiles, amphibians, arthropods and birds. Every time I got back from a trip it got cleaned inside and out. I always kept up with all of the maintenance. It only broke down on me once, at 329,481 miles. It was a $30.00 part for the distributor, I think a relay? It just cut off while I was on interstate 385 in Greenville SC. So cool that it broke down at home instead of 200 miles away. That is when I decided it was time to start looking, cause I dont want to break down 200 miles away. I really feel like I could have got another 100,000 out of it. I really hope the new one will be as good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bchan42, a couple years ago my family took a trip to Maine. I could not help but notice how everything up there was rusting away, bridges, cars, etc. We dont have that problem here. Have you ever tried spraying undercoating on all exposed areas under your vehicle? We saw vehicles that were not even old rusting away, I would be so pissed if I spent 50 grand on a new Sierra or F250 and it started rusting 2 years later.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
dthor68
You can buy a case (12 qts) of Honda DW-1 on ebay with free shipping for under $100. That is enough for at least 3 drain and fills.
Valvoline MaxLife Dex\Merc atf is under $60 for 3 gal (12 qts) at Walmart. Not much for either one when talking about the health of an automatic transmission.

3 drain and fills gives you around 80% new fluid. 1 drain is around 40%, 2 is around the mid 60% area.

If the old fluid looks good, why bother except it may have Honda Z-1 still in it.

Buffalo4

PS: Nice looking 2008!!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
nice gen1 you had there and congrats on the newer gen3 CRV. Do you plan to offroad it like the gen1 ? If so I would be interested to hear how you find it in comparison to gen 3 ? I take mine on forest roads and mild off road with ground clearance being the big limiting factor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vhercules, I was hoping that I could take it to all the places that I did with the gen1 but I just don't see it. The gen1 was 4x4 and had at least an inch more of ground clearance. Looks like I will be walking more, that's fine. What I am getting with the gen3 is better gas mileage, better looking, much more comfort and much better audio. I pulled the audio system out of my 97 and installed it in the 08, it is so much nicer in the 08. I am sure the 08 is much safer too. I think the trade off will work well and as long as the forest roads are not to muddy it will do fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts