Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 2016 Touring yesterday with 20,000 miles. Always garaged and looks like new. This will be my fourth Honda. I currently have an 2008 Accord with the V6 and have dealt with the spark plug fouling due to VCM and the short life span of rear brake pads.
Don’t want to start any long winded discussion, but would like to know what to expect going forward With the CRV.
Thanx

·
Registered
254 Posts
For the CRV 4th gen grouping, I've noticed common pattern of:

- Weak head light lighting. Some folks install LED or HID in the front head lights. Some folks (like me), configure its factory FOG lights to be ON with High Beams as well. IMO, this should be factory build.

- Some rear wheels have strange tire wear - due to improper vertical lean. Some folks install 3rd party adjustable arms - to correct this lean. re: Amazon - Dorman xxxx Rear Upper Suspenson Control Arm for Honda CRV models.

- If came with factory remote starter, do be prepared to "over fuss" with it. My wife's remote starter is so complex, we no longer use it. re: Press this button, then that button, then that button again. Way too complex.

Like they say... NO vehicle is perfect....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

- Weak head light lighting. Some folks install LED or HID in the front head lights. Some folks (like me), configure its factory FOG lights to be ON with High Beams as well. IMO, this should be factory build.

- Some rear wheels have strange tire wear - due to improper vertical lean. Some folks install 3rd party adjustable arms - to correct this lean. re: Amazon - Dorman xxxx Rear Upper Suspenson Control Arm for Honda CRV models.

- If came with factory remote starter, do be prepared to "over fuss" with it. My wife's remote starter is so complex, we no longer use it. re: Press this button, then that button, then that button again. Way too complex.

Thanx for the info. Still has the OE Dunlop’s and they are wearing evenly so far. Doesn’t have the remote start but I may consider aftermarket later.
I’ll have to check the headlights. Haven’t driven at night because of the lockdown. I have the same issue with the hi beam/foglight on my Accord. Is the fix a work around or is it rewiring?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
European HID headlights are pretty good. High beams could use more power but that's easy to add. Dipped beam is great.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You can find the TSBs applicable to your vehicle at the NHTSA site under "Manufacturer Communications". You have to drill down to find the pdf of each TSB under "Associated Documents"

I've seen various threads of the engine stalling when backing up immediately after starting the vehicle when it has sat for several hours. The fix is a new transmission, which is covered under the 5 year powertrain warranty. For the 2016 it only applies to certain VIN ranges as listed in the TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10166783-0001.pdf

Enjoy your new vehicle.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Since original poster is located in USA, I assume he's talking about a CRV built for USA (not for Europe regions).
Okay, I'll explain. People have ordered European lights before. Needs wiring mods but it'll be an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Of course. It's expensive and usually unneccessary. A good LED bar for high beams is much more sensible solution.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Picked up my 2016 Touring yesterday with 20,000 miles. Always garaged and looks like new. This will be my fourth Honda. I currently have an 2008 Accord with the V6 and have dealt with the spark plug fouling due to VCM and the short life span of rear brake pads.
Don’t want to start any long winded discussion, but would like to know what to expect going forward With the CRV.
Thanx
Dang! And here I am, crystal ball on the fritz and in the shop! :) That said, there is probably not a CR-V made (for the US anyway) that couldn't use some help in the headlight department. If you are prepared to do your research, it will take some time, but there are a lot (a lot!) of posts on here about headlight upgrades, mostly in the Generation, Accessories, and DIY Mods sections. There is also a lot of info on YouTube. I've had my '07 for over a year now and I'm still working on a plan. There are a bunch of different ways to go, and many of them are either illegal (important at inspection time) or just don't pan out well. But there are also some folks who have jumped in and are very happy with what they did.

Anyway, enjoy that new V, and keep us posted on what you decide to do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am past the age of doing mods. This is likely my last vehicle and I hope it lasts that long. I average keeping a vehicle ten years plus. At this point I just want to be aware of possible unexpected major problems so I can budget. My 2008 Accord has been very reliable except for the V6 plug fouling issue. Replaced the alternator and the CEL indicates a catalytic converte. It has 175,000 miles so that is expected. I bought it used nine years ago and only brakes and regular maintenance.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I'm in that boat too! Old and retired. My V is also likely my last vehicle and will probably outlive me. I hope so, anyway. My only real issue so far was that I had to get the A/C recharged. After eleven years and no A/C service it was about a half pound low on gas. Not too bad. That was a year ago and it is still ice cold - important here in Texas where we are closer to the sun. The other issue I'm having now is the battery. The tiny lawnmower sized Group 51R battery that comes in CR-V's is notoriously inadequate, and you can find info on this all over the forum. I got the car a little over a year ago and had to replace the battery shortly after that. Now it's going away again. One issue is that I don't drive that much any more, especially right now while we are all in virus lock-down mode. So, I am about to do the Group 24F battery upgrade, as discussed here:

Larger Group 24 Battery Install

51 battery replacement

Using the battery tray, box, and hold-down from a 2014 Odyssey, I am going to do the mods and upgrade to a battery with far more reserve and cranking power. I also got a NOCO Genius 5 smart battery tender. I'm going to install that and keep it hooked up between outings. I will go from 400 to 725 CCA. THis will also be of good service when I upgrade the audio system later this year.

The only thing I know about the 2016 is that I would keep a close eye on the CVT transmission, and stay current on the maintenance of it - fluid changes, etc. But you can peruse the Gen 4 section for a lot of good information, too. Otherwise, enjoy it! And stay safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.