Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100. Not too fancy since it's my first but it's awesome!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let's Try This Again

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. You already have it sideways and you are not even in the water! :)
Haha! I do hope to buy a whitewater kayak some day. For now, I'm trying to stay high and dry!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the same kayak and wondered if the tailgate opens with the kayak on the roof? Can you move it around town without bow lines?

·
Registered
37 Posts
how much did you pay for it? I'm looking for an entry level kayak as well, plastic material to cut the cost...

·
Registered
586 Posts
07exlowner, I just got in from a 2 hr. paddle in my Wilderness Pungo 100 Light blue. Very well built kayaks. :D I've had mine since Dec. ,a Xmas present. I would post a pic. but don't know how to. Enjoy, H

·
Registered
352 Posts
Cool. I've yet to buy one but I know both EMS and LLBean run good package deals for entry level stuff.

My major question is, how hard is it to get it up on the car? Despite how they look, kayaks aren't actually all that light and the cheap ones are generally on the heavier side, so is it easy to get it up and down by yourself?

Don't want to hurt myself ... or drop it on the side of the car ... a CRV isn't exactly the shortest car on the planet :p

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am wondering the same thing about lifting up the kayak. I just put the factory roof rack on, now I need J Hooks. Was thinking of the Yakima bow downs that fold flat, they are made of composite figure no rust that way. I figure I will need a small steo to heist it onto the rack but not positive yet.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Most single place kayaks are only about 40 lbs. or less so you should not have a problem. Tandem kayaks are 65 lbs, and are awkward for one person. H

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a wilderness system pamlico 120 kayak. I think it's about 56 lbs. It's not really a problem at all getting up and I also have the bow downs with yakima roof rack. If i get a chance i'll have to take a picture...

·
Registered
104 Posts
New carrier

Put new Thule carrier on and gave it a trial fit. Heavy, but definately doable. Need to find just the right lift I guess.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 10' Pelican, with the Sportrack J's and found that the front tiedown scratched the paint on the hood. Anyone else have this problem?

I thought about adding a bullbar, but it doesn't look like they are high enough to make a difference. You only need the taglines for highway speeds, so I decided to just stay off of them, for now. Any other ideas to fix this problem would be appreciated, as I pretty well have that puppy on my roof for the entire fishing season.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Although it is a very nice rig, I'm afraid it would not be very practical to haul around a trailer, as much as I carry my yak. Maybe for the planned, long hauls though...no the wife would probably go nuts on me, if I had that sitting in the yard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm 6' tall and found the CRV to be a pain to carry kayaks. It sits just a bit high for my shorter wife to reach. We used our roof racks only once. I added "quick loops" to the hood hinges that I could access with the hood closed to avoid paint rub from bow and also used stern tie downs to the hitch. The only thing I miss about my old truck is the bed to easily carry things like kayaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
you can Thule tie down straps, basically a 12 or 13 inch strap bent over on itself and a grommet. I tie ours on the inside engine compartment fender area there is some bars to wrap it around. then hang it outside of hood, close hood and run boat lines to the loop and its done. plus it pulls those lines away from middle of hood. In the back I have used the tow hooks to latch onto. Thule straps last about 10 years or so, then I buy new ones. I tried rope in the past and found they wear out faster than the Thule strap line.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts