Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all!

I need some help diagnosing a squeaking sound with my 2011 CRV (it has about 124k miles). It started very faintly a few weeks ago, and at first I thought it was something with the suspension because I only noticed it while going over bumps/rougher roads. However, I was on a longer drive a week ago and I noticed the squeaking still happened while at a stop sign (ie the car wasn't moving), so I think it might be something under the hood. It seems to be coming from the right side of the car. The only time I've really heard it when the car isn't in motion is after it's been driven for a bit.

The other peculiar part that throws me off is that I can hear a single squeak if I close the driver's door with the normal amount of force (which again is weird because when driving it seems to be more on the right side of the vehicle).

I tried to record it earlier today, the video is below (it's pretty faint, it's the higher pitched squeaking). Up until the last two days it hasn't been consistent enough to really bring it in to a family mechanic, so I was just seeing if anyone had this issue here.

I don't think it's the serpentine belt because it was replaced back in April.

Any help is appreciated!

Premium Member
2009 CR-V EX-L (no NAVI)
Hi John.
The first thing that comes to mind, given the location, is the serpentine belt tensioner bearing. A quick search on this brings up dozens of posts with similar symptoms.
A quick check would be to give the tensioner a shot of penetrating oil to see if this cures the squeak temporarily or, just slip the belt off and spin the tensioner to see if the bearing is faulty.
Hope this helps? Keep us in the loop.

Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
You know of course there are a myriad of things on a car to make noise. Have you ever oiled your door hinges? Any of the shocks have signs of leakage? Not moving, is the sound random or does it follow RPM?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi John.
The first thing that comes to mind, given the location, is the serpentine belt tensioner bearing. A quick search on this brings up dozens of posts with similar symptoms.
A quick check would be to give the tensioner a shot of penetrating oil to see if this cures the squeak temporarily or, just slip the belt off and spin the tensioner to see if the bearing is faulty.
Hope this helps? Keep us in the loop.
Ok, I might try this! I'll have some time in the next week or two to really look at the car, so I'll let you know what I find.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know of course there are a myriad of things on a car to make noise. Have you ever oiled your door hinges? Any of the shocks have signs of leakage? Not moving, is the sound random or does it follow RPM?
Yeah, no I definitely went through anything in the interior (even like the glovebox) to find if anything was vibrating, but didn't find anything. I haven't ever oiled the hinges - though would that really cause squeaking while the car is idling at a stop sign?

When the car isn't moving, it will be random in occurrence, but when it does happen it's semi rhythmic, if that makes sense. Sorry that was a very unclear answer lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts