Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching on this topic for a while but there seems to be mixed opinions on this.

I have a 2018 CRV LX AWD with 14.5k milleage, bridgestone ecopia hl 422 plus 235/65R17. Manufacturer showing the tread depth to be 10/32".

I went to my honda dealership after my right rear wheel got 2 nails on it. They recommended replacing the 2 rear tires.

Will this be alright with the front tires having 14.5k miles wear on them? I have not checked how much tread depth is left on the front tires. It is already at the dealership for replacing 2 rear tires, but how much tread depth difference between front and rear axle would be acceptable? or should I just replace all 4?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Where were the nails in the tire? Depending on how severe and where the punctures were you might have been able to just have them patched or plugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where were the nails in the tire? Depending on how severe and where the punctures were you might have been able to just have them patched or plugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was on the tread but it punctured pretty deep in diagonal angle and deflated little bit as well. They told me they cannot patch it up because of the angle.. something like that.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,015 Posts
Replacing the tires in a pair is totally acceptable considering you have only 14k on the tires.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Any puncture in a tread can safely be patched as long as it's not a cut.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any puncture in a tread can safely be patched as long as it's not a cut.
It was a puncture but then about 2-3cm line extending from the puncture point. Can that be patched? They are already replacing the rear wheels though.😭

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replacing the tires in a pair is totally acceptable considering you have only 14k on the tires.
Do you know how much of tread depth difference it can tolerate? I am in upstate ny, pretty rough weather and road condition. I am not sure if the wear difference would be okay.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It was a puncture but then about 2-3cm line extending from the puncture point. Can that be patched? They are already replacing the rear wheels though.😭
Oh, sure. I once ran over some metal shavings and there was a penetrating cut over the edge of the tread, extended to the smooth side, about 2" total. Brand new Cooper Cobras. I took it to a couple of places, both said "NOOOOO!". So the third (IIRC) place said wait a minute, I'll get the best guy from the back. Dude said it can be done but keep it in the back. He cut a chunk of rubber out and vulcanized a patch on it. The tires lasted 50K miles to bare, no wobble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, sure. I once ran over some metal shavings and there was a penetrating cut over the edge of the tread, extended to the smooth side, about 2" total. Brand new Cooper Cobras. I took it to a couple of places, both said "NOOOOO!". So the third (IIRC) place said wait a minute, I'll get the best guy from the back. Dude said it can be done but keep it in the back. He cut a chunk of rubber out and vulcanized a patch on it. The tires lasted 50K miles to bare, no wobble.
Smh.. I guess this is an L.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I just picked up my car. Tread depth difference between old front tires and the new rear tires is going to be 4/32". Fronts are at 6/32", rears are at 10/32". Do you guys think that is a tolerable difference? Same brand, same model.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,474 Posts
I just picked up my car. Tread depth difference between old front tires and rear tires is going to be 4/32". Do you guys think that is a tolerable difference? Same brand, same model.
Should be fine front to back.. different drive axles. Just be sure and only do front-2-back tire rotations (no cross coupled rotations).

At 4/32 tread left (~ 50% useful tread left) .. yeah... replacing both rear tires was the right choice in your case given the punctured tire could not be safely patched. Otherwise.. even with the same brand and model tire.... you would likely put undue stresses on the traction control on that axle, which at a minimum will make for a noiser ride.

My tire service provider (Americas Tire, part of Discount Tire) generally says if you have 75% or more tread on the good tire, it is OK to replace only the bad tire as long as it is same make and model of tire.

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
567 Posts
I'd consider putting the new tires up front, so they wear faster and become more even with the rear tires, wear-wise. Normally it's best to put the new tires on the rear, but in this case I think I'd put them up front.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd consider putting the new tires up front, so they wear faster and become more even with the rear tires, wear-wise. Normally it's best to put the new tires on the rear, but in this case I think I'd put them up front.
thats what I was thinking because the front wears faster.. but dealer insisted on putting new ones in the back..

·
Registered
92 Posts
The only other thought I can add that hasn't already been expressed is that by putting new tires on the rear now all 4 tires will have the essentially the same usable life. Otherwise you will be living with the tread depth and mileage difference for as long as you have these tires, and will be faced with another "Do I replace just 2 or all 4 tires?" decision once the front tires wear out. It's your call.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,474 Posts
thats what I was thinking because the front wears faster.. but dealer insisted on putting new ones in the back..
If the CRV is AWD..... all 4 tires wear pretty evenly. They just wear a bit differently in most CRVs front vs back... due to how Honda aligns the wheels (slightly toe in on the front and toe out on the back). The front wheels will wear more on the outside tread, and the rear wheels will wear more on the center of the tread... though the toe-in toe-out settings by Honda will insure that with regular rotation the tires will wear evenly across the tread surface.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the CRV is AWD..... all 4 tires wear pretty evenly. They just wear a bit differently in most CRVs front vs back... due to how Honda aligns the wheels (slightly toe in on the front and toe out on the back). The front wheels will wear more on the outside tread, and the rear wheels will wear more on the center of the tread... though the toe-in toe-out settings by Honda will insure that with regular rotation the tires will wear evenly across the tread surface.
Yes 23K miles on 2017 tires and seem pretty even wear. The tire shop measured 7/32 in the front and 5/32 on the rear but I thought they were even front and back. Who can a person believe these days?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts