Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my CRV a week ago and drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco on the 101 freeway, which is about 350 miles. I know the trip quite well and don't need navigation but like to keep it on so I know how much further I have to go.

However, once every 10 miles, I would hear this from the navigation: 1) In a quarter mile, continue on the 101 freeway 2) in 600 feet, continue on the 101 freeway 3) continue on the 101 freeway for X more miles (where X was somewhere between 10-12 miles)

This was super annoying and I had to turn off navigation because of it. I've never had another navigation system do this and it makes it almost unusable. Why does it keep telling me every 10 miles to continue on the highway that I'm already on? Is there a way to turn this off?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't have nav, but were you passing exits when that occurred? Sounds like it was trying to inform you to stay on the road when an exit or intersection allowed for you to leave the highway. But yeah that would drive me nuts!

·
Registered
438 Posts
We have no clue about model year and software version for that MY. Can you elaborate and also indicate if you updated to the latest available software version, either DVD or USB download.

As to our 2013, 2014 and now 2016 Touring models, all have the very latest software updates and no such thing occurs when we drive 500 to 1000 km trips across southern US states. There are several levels of guidance modes, user configurable and these are explained in the Navigation manual, also available online at owners.honda.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have no clue about model year and software version for that MY. Can you elaborate and also indicate if you updated to the latest available software version, either DVD or USB download.

As to our 2013, 2014 and now 2016 Touring models, all have the very latest software updates and no such thing occurs when we drive 500 to 1000 km trips across southern US states. There are several levels of guidance modes, user configurable and these are explained in the Navigation manual, also available online at owners.honda.com
Sorry, it is a 2015 CRV Touring. I don't know which software is on it, I haven't updated any software (I just purchased it a few days ago). How do I tell which software version it is?

Which guidance mode would fix this?

@TomKatt - Yes, each time I was passing by exits...but that seems a bit ridiculous to tell me not to exit the highway I'm already on every 10 miles...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, read the entire navigation manual. The only thing I saw in there that could be relevant is:

Enhanced Voice Guidance: Sets whether to read out certain routing points (if
stored in the database) during voice guidance.
On: Voice guidance includes certain routing points.
Off (factory default): Disables the feature.
However, factory default is enhanced guidance Off, and mine is off, so I believe turning it ON would just give me more voice navigation.

I notice you didn't mention 2015 year in your original reply, does that mean you haven't tested 2015?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't believe you have an actual issue.

My 09 Civic navi tells me to 'continue straight on X road' when there are several merging roads/exits/on ramps, etc. I only find it annoying when I'm in/near a major city.

After looking at a route from LA to San Fran, I can easily see how you'd find it annoying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't believe you have an actual issue.

My 09 Civic navi tells me to 'continue straight on X road' when there are several merging roads/exits/on ramps, etc. I only find it annoying when I'm in/near a major city.

After looking at a route from LA to San Fran, I can easily see how you'd find it annoying.
interesting...my prius didn't do that and yes, it was quite annoying. i wish there was a way to turn down "sensitivity" of the navi. i take quite a few long drives like that so i hope it doesn't happen on the other routes. the problem is it not only said "continue.." but it said it three times in a row (takes about 20 seconds to speak all 3 each time)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Maybe in the future navigation will be available with different channels. Like radio stations. You dial up what you want to hear and see. Aggressive driver? New driver? Known route driver? Constant lane changer? Avoid all exits? Take your pick. But keep those pictures coming. :D

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you know the route well, why aggravate yourself - just turn it off. You should know the mileage by now, I'd think. A friend of mine would say "rich people's problems" !! CCL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you know the route well, why aggravate yourself - just turn it off. You should know the mileage by now, I'd think. A friend of mine would say "rich people's problems" !! CCL
is that really a solution? it tells me to continue on the highway at every single off ramp. there must be a better solution

·
Registered
776 Posts
You sound like one of those folks who's addicted to technology !!! Cellphone in the bathroom ??? Texting while driving ??? Cellphone at the dinner table ??? Yea, turn it off !! It IS a solution. Craig

·
Registered
252 Posts
I understand the humor in this situation, but really this does demonstrate how poorly implemented many of the vehicle interface features are from most manufacturers (Honda is hardly the worst, but they could do better)... They just don't seem to get it. I prefer most of the consumer navi products to built-in offerrings, not to mention they're cheaper to keep up to date. Hopefully CarPlay and Android Auto will start to take off - leave the vehicle engineering to the auto manufacturers and the interface design to the tech companies who are more in tune with how people use these things (and provide more user options and/or updates).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just went on another long trip (another direction) and it did the same thing. Every 10-20 miles I get the 3 GPS warnings...it makes keeping the GPS on unbearable. I don't accept the solution of "turn the gps off"...this is extremely annoying, not sure how I'm the first to bring it up?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts