Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm new here but a long time lurker. I'm currently shopping for a 2012 EX-L AWD in Opal/Beige. I live in the midwest and the closest dealer is about 40 minutes from here (we'll call it Dealer A - this is the place we will have service done on the new vehicle). Second closest dealer is about 90 minutes away (Dealer B). Neither dealer has this vehicle in stock - both claim they could get one within a few days. It appears, however, that there are only 2 or 3 of them in the state in that color combo.

Dealer A hasn't given me a price yet but claims they will be competitive. Dealer B is a "no haggle" dealership and has quoted 28003 (which includes pin stripes and splash guards - not incl. TTL). I am not convinced either could actually get the car I want and neither has attempted to do so yet. Apparently, they would need to be able to trade something back to the other dealership in exchange for the CR-V.

I don't really know what to do next. Should I take that 28003 number to dealer A and ask them to match it or should I go with the "no haggle" dealer B to see if they can actually get the car. Will it be more beneficial to purchase from Dealer A since we will be getting service done there? The last option, I suppose, would be to get a quote from the dealers who actually have the exact car I want - but they would be 2-3 hours away.

From a timing standpoint - we would purchase next week if a car is available because we are heading on vacation the following week and would love to drive the new car. If the deal doesn't get done this week - we are in less of a hurry but still thinking about purchasing sometime this summer (as we have to drive son down to Alabama for college in the fall.)

I was hoping one of the sales people I was dealing with would take the initiative to determine if they could actually get the car I want - but neither realize they have a deal in place if they would only put in a little extra effort. (It should be every sales person's dream to have a customer walk in wanting a vehicle to replace the identical vehicle they already have and know exactly what they want! We are currently driving a 2005 CRV.)

I am not real great at the negotiating side of things and just don't know what to do next. Any advice? (Is this even a good price?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't know about the price. I would tell dealer A I want this car for less than dealer B and I want it tomorrow. If they give you a hard time tell them to earn your business. I know that you control the deal not them, if they tell you otherwise remind them who is paying. Good luck and I am sure someone will comment on the price. I have heard the best price you will get is online......

·
Registered
633 Posts
When I bought my 2011 in the DC metro area---I emailed close to 20 dealers in the area and told them exactly what I wanted---and what I expected in the return email--no phone calls, out the door price. I Was very upfront that I was emailing other dealers. Some sent emails with what I requested, some just stated they would match the best offer! I widdled it down to 5 and called them, just to make sure they realized I was a genuine buyer. But I refused to negotiate on the phone. I did it online. 1 dealer even stated I was lying on 1 of the prices I had been offered, but I wasn't. When I thought I was close to what the bottom was--I went to a dealer and he was close but not close enough, so I walked, so I felt I was pretty close to what the rock bottom was! Emailed a few others that i was in touch with, and actually got lower than what I expected! Email is a great tool as your at your strong point---your home!!! When I was at the dealer, I almost felt like throwing in the towel, so glad I didnt. I resided at the time in Virginia, but bought in maryland. They still handled all the VA tax stuff. Part of the savings was that in MD they charged a flat $100 processing fee, but in VA it was like $395. Best of luck

·
Registered
439 Posts
The dealers paid Honda the same for the vehicle, and being so close to each other local market forces are the same (unless one is in a large city and the other is in the boonies), so in theory you should be able to get the same purchase price from either dealer. EX-L AWD seems to be the easiest model to find lately, and dealers do swaps between themselves to get cars the need, so I'd just pick the dealer I'd rather do biz with, maybe the one with the better service department if you plan on using it for a lot of your maintenance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts