Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to enter the world of CR-V. I have an old Accord so I love Honda, I just want an SUV now. I'm thinking about either a 2007 EX-L with 108k miles on it or the 2010 EX-L with 65k. The difference is price of course. One is sitting at about 12,500, and the other at 16,000. I just want to make sure I can get to at least 200k on it without major repairs. Please offer some advice.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Usually the newer one with the lower mileage is better than the 07 with the higher mileage. I think the best is to take the vehicles to your own mechanic for an inspection.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Describe the condition of the two CRVs. Good advice from 'otto888man'.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Depends on what you can afford. In my case I would go with the newer model but I don't know your situation.
The 2007 is bulletproof except for the A/C compressor clutch. Check and see if it's been replaced. They're known to fail between 90k and 120k. In rare cases they will explode and contaminate the whole cooling system requiring repair around $3,000.00. I haven't seen any cases
on the post 2005 models, it seemed to be a problem starting in 2003 and ending somewhere around 2005 when Honda finally upgraded the compressor. My compressor clutch died last summer around 120k miles and cost me $700.00 at the dealer. Probably $450 at an independent shop. Make sure you get the maintenance records on either one you decide to purchase. The 07 should of had the plugs replaced and the coolant changed, other than that's it just basic maintenance.

If they've been maintained properly either one should see 200k with no major problems.

The CR-V isn't much fun to drive but it's a bulletproof workhorse.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Make sure the recalls have been done on both V's for starters. Early 07's had issues with the rear diffs as well. This was resolved in 08. AC compressor issue continued on in to 08 as well. Not sure if they have the same issue in the 10's or not. Failure on the compressor on my 08 happened around 106K and cost close to 900.00 Honda stepped in with good will and cut that down to around 350 out of pocket. 07's and 08's were the last year Honda imported CRV's from Japan. 09 started the first full year of US production. The 10 was built in West Liberty OH, down the road from my house.

Our 08 has a bit over 158K on it now and it runs great. Drove it all day yesterday and averaged 28 MPG with a mix of highway and city. Body, fit and finish are tight. My only issues comes from our boys driving it and our large dogs being extremely hard on the leather.

Other things to look at on the 07 that may not be an issue on the 10:

Struts - check for leaks
Brakes- check for no pulsing during stops, pad and rotor thickness. At this mileage it should have had at least the front pads replaced
Fluids - Power steering, antifreeze, transmission, (transfer case, rear diff if AWD) should all have been serviced.
Accessory Drive belt - no cracks, damage. Replaced at 100K
PCV Valve - have dealer check for build up and operation. 10 buck part, easy to change with socket set.
Battery - If not new, then look at having to change in near future.

On both:
Check air filters (Cabin and engine ) for cleanliness. Will tell you what kind of maint was being performed.
Tire wear - Should be even all around
Pull dipstick on engine and tranny. Check for level and color. Both should be clear. No funny odors
Check PS fluid. Should be light color, no bubbles after running.

Either one you should be able to get 200K out of. Honda's are solid. If you can swing the extra 3500 then go with the newer one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm about to enter the world of CR-V. I have an old Accord so I love Honda, I just want an SUV now. I'm thinking about either a 2007 EX-L with 108k miles on it or the 2010 EX-L with 65k. The difference is price of course. One is sitting at about 12,500, and the other at 16,000. I just want to make sure I can get to at least 200k on it without major repairs. Please offer some advice.
Just for reference, I got my 07 with 170k for $5k. It's in great shape.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The 2007 is bulletproof except for the A/C compressor clutch. Check and see if it's been replaced. They're known to fail between 90k and 120k.
I will vouch for that. Mine went after about 110,000 miles. I had the 96/120 Hondacare but it went about 3 months after it expired. Cost about $1,600 to repair but that included a new water pump and all new belts too. Other than that, my 07 has been flawless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts