Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggest I am one to do all I van to prevent issues from occurring if I can

I just bought a Honda crv 2.0 es auto 82k miles.

Not much history with the car but it drives spot on.

I have no clue about these cars though in terms of what can go wrong if not maintained etc...

I am putting her in for a service but should I be doing more....

Rear different oil ?
Auto box oil?
Springs/shocks?

Etc etc what is there to service which I can get my garage to.do to.prevent any issues or common issues occurring etc.

Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I think I'd treat this like I would any used car that doesn't have a history with it.

You need to set a baseline for the maintenance schedule you will be following.

To do this thoroughly, you need to change all the fluids (oil, coolant, trans, diff, brake) and change out belts and hoses too.
By doing this you KNOW when it was done last and you're not guessing about it in the future.

I'd also inspect the brake pads and change as req'd. Knowing you're going to be able to stop in a panic situation makes the ride more enjoyable, at least for me. And while you're at it, you might just want to check the tire pressures also.

My $.02 for free.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
393 Posts
This is a good question. Assuming you have the mm system, maintenance items are listed in the owners manual, you can rely on the mm system to alert you to needed items as they come up. But what do you do if you buy used and you have no reliable records? Do everything? One item that may not be in the mm system, replace brake fluid every 3 years (some folks just dip and refresh every oil change). Also at spark plug time (100k) many recommend a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the issue im at now.... ive called HONDA and to do the "works"

engine oil
all filters
auto box oil
rear diff oil
cambelt
brake fluid
and all other checks its costing

£891.19 in total!!

I bought the car for £950 so...... not happening

hence why I ask is there any common things I deffo should do on a CRV in particular...

I will do the engine oil and filter that's normal... BUT I cant afford to go the whole way

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Since you're not telling us how OLD the car is, I guess you'll be rolling the dice as far as the cam belt goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah sorry its 18 years old 2000 model.

ive booked her in for full service/ inc diff and auto box

going to roll the dice and hope someone in the last 18 years has changed the belt... although upon inspection Honda said it doesn't look perished.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Maybe it's just conservative old me, but I would have done the belt. Chances of someone having done it already with only 82k miles showing is, well, slimmer than the oil needing changing IMO. While it is cheaper to change the oil(s), if the belt goes the engine more than likely will be trashed and it won't matter how new the oil in it is.
Good luck!
Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Depends on the RPM when it let's go. If it let's go when your trying to start it chances are it'll be fine as cam will center out. Driving down the road not so much because hondas run very tight tolerance between valves and piston clearance.

When you buy a used vehicle NEVER EVER hope the previous owners changed a timing belt. Just do it unless that have a shop receipt showing it was done in the last couple years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
As the title suggest I am one to do all I van to prevent issues from occurring if I can

I just bought a Honda crv 2.0 es auto 82k miles.

Not much history with the car but it drives spot on.

I have no clue about these cars though in terms of what can go wrong if not maintained etc...

I am putting her in for a service but should I be doing more....

Rear different oil ?
Auto box oil?
Springs/shocks?

Etc etc what is there to service which I can get my garage to.do to.prevent any issues or common issues occurring etc.

Hope this makes sense.

Here's the way I look at it after buying an older used car. Unless I find a glove box full of recent receipts for various maintenance items/services, I presume nothing has been done, maintenance wise. I start by systematically replacing/flushing this, that and the other as my budget/pocket book allows.

I find it much easier to replace a wear/maintenance item in my driveway/garage (before it breaks) on a Saturday/Sunday when all the auto parts stores are open, than it is to replace a broken/worn out maintenance item on the side of the road, when all the auto parts stores are closed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Maybe it's just conservative old me, but I would have done the belt. Chances of someone having done it already with only 82k miles showing is, well, slimmer than the oil needing changing IMO. While it is cheaper to change the oil(s), if the belt goes the engine more than likely will be trashed and it won't matter how new the oil in it is.
Good luck!
Hope it works out for you.
Agree with this. My Hondas have required a belt change at 75k miles. IMO the belt hasn't been changed because they sold the car. Cost was too high?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Timing belts are cheap to do. Many people are stuck on the "a car is junk at 100000 miles" mentality. So they sell and buy something new.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Timing belts are only cheap to do if you've budgeted for them in advance. Lots of people don't do that.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Timing belt on a Honda compared to most is CHEAP. It's about labor hours and they take nothing to do. Hell a V6 4runner is 4 hours labor time.

It's taking it to the dealership that's pricey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts