• Keep it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost a year ago, my 16 year old son bought a 98 CR-V with 220,000 for $1800.

Since then I have made the following repairs/maintenance items:

• 4 new tires
  • New brake pads on the front, new shoes on the back
  • New head gasket/timing belt/fuel filter
  • New thermostat and thermostat housing
  • New distributor cap and rotor/spark plugs and wires
  • New fuel tank filler neck
My wife is ready to sell the vehicle because it still has issues. I would put the vehicle in the 85-90% reliable category (she wants 100%). Luckily, no issue has left my son (and other kids) stranded on the side of the road.

This last weekend I pulled the valve cover gasket to get better access to cylinder #2, so that I could wick coolant out of the combustion chamber. We continue to struggle with an inner-engine coolant leak. Most of the time the vehicle starts/runs with no problems. Other times, it barely starts, chugs for a few minutes then smooths out and runs fine (this causes the CEL to flash, though, indicating a cylinder misfire). I've used my code reader at these times and confirmed the misfire is the same cylinder with the coolant leak.

This morning, after filling the gas tank, I noticed gas on the ground under the car. I noticed it again this afternoon. I have not noticed if there has been a leak after the tank was filled since the repair to the fuel tank filler neck was made.

My thoughts:
  • Cylinder leak is most likely due to a warped head. When I replaced the head gasket, we did not have the money to have the head machined. I cleaned it and checked it for level with a good metal straight-edge but I did not take it to be professionally tooled. I've tried 2 different coolant additives and one engine oil additive to combat the leak but no luck.
  • Fuel leak may be due to old hoses between the fuel tank filler neck (ftfn) and the fuel tank. When I replaced the ftfn the tank had just been filled and I had no way to drop the tank to remove the hoses so the originals were reused.
At what point does one decide to sell a vehicle "as is" and try his luck with another? My thought is that we'd be taking just as much of a crap shoot with another vehicle in this price range as we currently are taking with this one. At least with this one we know what's been done.

Any advice you can offer will be appreciated.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
My opinion would be to sell it simply because you've already dumped a ton of money into it and it still has some serious issues. Just to get the head machined to hopefully fix it correctly is going to be a lot of money. I'm sure you've spent more on it than what it cost your son to buy. I would sell it, save a bit more money, and buy an old Civic or Accord off Craigslist for $2,500-$3,000 range which should put you in the 150K mile range.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Most people sell cars because they want a better more reliable car; which means the one they are selling may have problems. So buying another used car may put you in the same boat. New CR-V's are 25 to 30k. So putting a 1000 or so into your car may be the way to go. I haven't seen or driven your car so can't give a definite answer. The way I view used cars for every $1000 I expect to get 1 year or 10,000 miles more miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts