Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I am posting this for my mother)
She took her CRV to honda to have the airbag computer replaced or updated ( im not too clear on what for), While they were replacing it they short circuited the computer and all of the airbags went off.
They called her to let her know this happened, and the cost to repair it is more than the car is worth, so they are only offering her KBB trade in value for the car. She just had the timing belt replaced and put new tires on it, so she surely isnt wanting the measly 4K they are offering her. None of this seems right. If they "totaled" her car, they should have to fix it. They gave her a loaner and she is discussing what to do with a lawyer.
Has anyone had a situation like this, or have any advice?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'd think they'd have to give her KBB + the cost of the recent work she had done/parts/labor/tires etc.
I'm sure if a lawyer is getting involved they will do right by her, hopefully.
She should not have to suffer the diminished value either as if they did fix it it would most likely have a 'salvage' added to the title.
Good luck, hope it all turns out for the best.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mr. Elliott, I'll take a shot at this.

You didn't mention the year, model, condition of your mother's CR-V or what she was having done with regard to the air bags in her car, but whatever may have been the condition of her CR-V and its airbags, the sole issue now is how to make your mother whole. Your mother (and you, I assume) want her CR-V fixed, whatever it takes. That's one possibility, and a lawyer may actually be able to make that happen. That said, you and your mother might want to take a step back and ask if there's not a better choice available. And, while you are mulling that, have you considered what the lawyer is going to charge to make this happen?

Just spit-balling some numbers: Let's say the high book value of your mom's CR-V is $6000, to which you and your mother want to add the cost of the recent repairs ($1000) and her new tires ($700). Let's round that up to $8000 and further assume that her lawyer negotiates a settlement for that amount. Of course, then the lawyer is going to want a third of the settlement. That's not much of a solution.

Option 2: Replacing the air bags is a potential solution, but is that really the best option? The answer, I think, depends on the condition of your mother's CR-V. If it's in really great shape, low-mileage for its age, etc., I can understand why she (and you) would consider replacing the air bags as the best solution. One fly in the ointment, however, may be state law depending on where you live. State law may require the dealership to report the replacement of the air bags to the state DMV. That will likely result in a salvage title. There simply may not be any way out of that box. In that event or if your mom's CR-V is not in great shape, she might be better off -- indeed, a LOT better off -- if she thanked the lawyer for his initial (and hopefully free) consultation, and considered taking a top-dollar settlement -- which you ought to be able to negotiate without a lawyer -- and put that amount toward a low-mileage, certified replacement. Mom could be a lot better off at the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Ratchet - WELL DONE!

Mr. Elliott, I'll take a shot at this.

You didn't mention the year, model, condition of your mother's CR-V or what she was having done with regard to the air bags in her car, but whatever may have been the condition of her CR-V and its airbags, the sole issue now is how to make your mother whole. Your mother (and you, I assume) want her CR-V fixed, whatever it takes. That's one possibility, and a lawyer may actually be able to make that happen. That said, you and your mother might want to take a step back and ask if there's not a better choice available. And, while you are mulling that, have you considered what the lawyer is going to charge to make this happen?

Just spit-balling some numbers: Let's say the high book value of your mom's CR-V is $6000, to which you and your mother want to add the cost of the recent repairs ($1000) and her new tires ($700). Let's round that up to $8000 and further assume that her lawyer negotiates a settlement for that amount. Of course, then the lawyer is going to want a third of the settlement. That's not much of a solution.

Option 2: Replacing the air bags is a potential solution, but is that really the best option? The answer, I think, depends on the condition of your mother's CR-V. If it's in really great shape, low-mileage for its age, etc., I can understand why she (and you) would consider replacing the air bags as the best solution. One fly in the ointment, however, may be state law depending on where you live. State law may require the dealership to report the replacement of the air bags to the state DMV. That will likely result in a salvage title. There simply may not be any way out of that box. In that event or if your mom's CR-V is not in great shape, she might be better off -- indeed, a LOT better off -- if she thanked the lawyer for his initial (and hopefully free) consultation, and considered taking a top-dollar settlement -- which you ought to be able to negotiate without a lawyer -- and put that amount toward a low-mileage, certified replacement. Mom could be a lot better off at the end of the day.
Well thought out and well said!

Thank You.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would contact her Insurance company immediately. They will be the proper authority reporting the VIN # and damage report to the current state where it is insured. That is the 1st step of a Salvage vehicle, if it applies. JMHO, hope that helps.
david g.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts