Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I purchased a 2018 Honda CR-V Touring vehicle.
Nicest car I have ever owned.

My trade-in vehicle had what was called an Envelope Style Trunk Cargo Net just inside of the lift gate.
And I would like to locate and install something similar in my Honda.

Some question:
Has anyone purchased and installed one of these on their CR-V Touring. (I've been led to relive that installing this net on a Touring model might be a bit involved. But, I could have simply misunderstood.)
Cuz there doesn't current seem to be any hooks in the automobile for the top of the net to connect to.

Any recommendations as to where I might purchase one ?

And lastly, has anyone seen a you tube video or something similar, that shows how to do it ?

Or, would I be better going to my Honda dealer and just ask them to do it for me ?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Ray in Wisconsin

·
Registered
204 Posts
I typed what you're looking for into duckduckgo and this was the first result: https://www.amazon.com/Envelope-Sty...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07GY1JBWK

Be warned, the description contains the following:

CR-V TOURING MODELS OWNERS CHECK YOUR TRUNK BEFORE PURCHASE FOR 2 POP OUT GROCERY HOOKS ! (to help you locate hooks please see our product photos with arrows) MOST TOURING MODELS ARE MISSING 1 TOP GROCERY HOOK DUE TO HONDA FACTORY DEFECT!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the (very) quick reply.
That was nice of you.

Sure enough, after reading your reply, I went out and checked my CR-V to discover that indeed I only have one(1) of those pop out hooks. (On the left.)

So I was wondering if anyone was able to pull off this feat (of installing one)
or did they cry "uncle" and ask Honda to do it
or did they just give up

Ray in Wisconsin

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I checked the 2018 Owners Manual and on Page 219 it shows that there are four Tie-Down Anchors in the cargo area.
The drawing isn't really clear, but it looks like they are folded flat by default.

The Cargo Hook on the driver's side is shown in the Owners Manual on page 220, with the caveat it's only designed to hold 6 lbs (3 kg).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And thank YOU for the reply.

AHA !
Thanks to you, I have found all 4 "tie down" anchors.
That's good to know in the event I need to stabilize cargo when I'm driving.

I also found the one(1) cargo hook on the driver side in the rear cargo area.

The manual (page 220) makes it sound as if the one cargo hook on the drivers side is by design.
And the manual doesn't reference a cargo hook on the right side at all.

The ad on Amazon, for an Envelope style truck cargo net states "MOST TOURING MODELS ARE MISSING 1 TOP GROCERY HOOK DUE TO HONDA FACTORY DEFECT! "

I wonder if that's just their opinion.

Oh well.
I'm planning on making a service appointment with my Honda dealer tomorrow to have a Class II trailer hitch installed.
I guess, I'll ask them what they think about installing an Envelop style truck cargo net as well as their opinion about a missing cargo hook on the right.

It certainly would have been easy to install it myself if I had 2 cargo hooks.
And it would be a lot cheaper to purchase as well.

It's one of those things I simply never though to look for when I was test driving the CR-V.

It's still the nicest car I have ever owned.

Thanks again for the reply.

Ray in Wisconsin

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I don't think there is anything "missing" from your CR-V, nor is it a "defect" that there's only one hook.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
And thank YOU for the reply.

AHA !
Thanks to you, I have found all 4 "tie down" anchors.
That's good to know in the event I need to stabilize cargo when I'm driving.

I also found the one(1) cargo hook on the driver side in the rear cargo area.

The manual (page 220) makes it sound as if the one cargo hook on the drivers side is by design.
And the manual doesn't reference a cargo hook on the right side at all.

The ad on Amazon, for an Envelope style truck cargo net states "MOST TOURING MODELS ARE MISSING 1 TOP GROCERY HOOK DUE TO HONDA FACTORY DEFECT! "

I wonder if that's just their opinion.

Oh well.
I'm planning on making a service appointment with my Honda dealer tomorrow to have a Class II trailer hitch installed.
I guess, I'll ask them what they think about installing an Envelop style truck cargo net as well as their opinion about a missing cargo hook on the right.

It certainly would have been easy to install it myself if I had 2 cargo hooks.
And it would be a lot cheaper to purchase as well.

It's one of those things I simply never though to look for when I was test driving the CR-V.

It's still the nicest car I have ever owned.

Thanks again for the reply.

Ray in Wisconsin
For my wife's Accord, I installed an evelope cargo net.. from the same company linked above, and she loves it. The Accord comes with left and right hooks already in place.

For my CRV however, as with prior CRVs I have owned.. I prefer a cargo trunk organizer instead. It is just a more flexible and useful option since I can and do end up putting a wide variety of things in the cargo hold. The one I went with for my 2017 CRV was this one, but there are lots to choose from over on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RQK1J95/ref=psdc_318295011_t2_B07R81J2Y9?th=1

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring Modern Steel
47 Posts
I bought the cargo net from Honda for my 2018 CR-V Touring and it installs on the 4 cargo hooks in the floor. It is a bit challenging at first to orientate , it actually folds in half with the opening facing to the rear. I think it was about $75 Canadian. In my opinion, it works quite well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For my wife's Accord, I installed an evelope cargo net.. from the same company linked above, and she loves it. The Accord comes with left and right hooks already in place.

For my CRV however, as with prior CRVs I have owned.. I prefer a cargo trunk organizer instead. It is just a more flexible and useful option since I can and do end up putting a wide variety of things in the cargo hold. The one I went with for my 2017 CRV was this one, but there are lots to choose from over on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RQK1J95/ref=psdc_318295011_t2_B07R81J2Y9?th=1
Bought that same organizer (from Amazon) and just installed it.
Nice !
My CR-V is mostly a "grocery getter". so that organizer will certainly stop things from sliding around.
Thanks again for the reply

Ray in Wisconsin

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought my 2018 Touring. Honda does not have a solution if you want an envelope style net. However, I found a solution. To do it you will need two things. 1. A package of 3M Command EXTERIOR hooks #17086S-AW Outdoor, Terrace Hooks. You must use the outdoor hooks or they won't stay on. 2. An envelope style net for the CRV. You can get one on ebay for about 17.95. Look for a picture of a white CRV with the tailgate open. That is my car. If you zoom in you will see how I did it. I attached the hooks facing each other, rather than the way the one existing hook is installed. I installed the hooks so the top of the part that attaches is 18" above the very bottom of the floor. The bottom brackets are already there. Be sure to clean the area with alcohol before you install the hooks. Once the hooks are attached, let them sit for about a day, pushing them every once in a while to make sure they are secure. Then you can attach the net. I have had mine installed this way for a year and a half. If you make a mistake, no problem. Just take the hook off - there are no holes - and try again. This solution should work for any CRV from 2017 - 2020. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought my 2018 Touring. Honda does not have a solution if you want an envelope style net. However, I found a solution. To do it you will need two things. 1. A package of 3M Command EXTERIOR hooks #17086S-AW Outdoor, Terrace Hooks. You must use the outdoor hooks or they won't stay on. 2. An envelope style net for the CRV. You can get one on ebay for about 17.95. Look for a picture of a white CRV with the tailgate open. That is my car. If you zoom in you will see how I did it. I attached the hooks facing each other, rather than the way the one existing hook is installed. I installed the hooks so the top of the part that attaches is 18" above the very bottom of the floor. The bottom brackets are already there. Be sure to clean the area with alcohol before you install the hooks. Once the hooks are attached, let them sit for about a day, pushing them every once in a while to make sure they are secure. Then you can attach the net. I have had mine installed this way for a year and a half. If you make a mistake, no problem. Just take the hook off - there are no holes - and try again. This solution should work for any CRV from 2017 - 2020. I hope this helps.
BTW: I am not affiliated with 3M or the net vendor. He just asked me to take a picture of the installation - if it worked. It did, and I did.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey "hubsm",

Thanks for the info.

I tried your suggestion but those 3M Command Exterior hooks, just don't want to stick in my 2018 CR-V.

I followed the 3M instructions to the letter, but the strips come right off.
I cleaned the surface with alcohol and let it dry before applying the strip.
But even after an hour with frequent pressure, they simply come right off. (I've tried 3 sets of hooks.)

I'm thinking the issue is, that the surface is too textured and there simply isn't enough area for the strip to stick to.

I'm wondering if you might have any additional ideas.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Get OUTDOOR rated double sided 3M tape rated to 5 pounds. It's typically gray tape with a red backing that you peel away to expose the sticky part. It comes in rolls, not individual squares like the indoor ones with green and white backing.

Apply it to the area of plastic trim in the cargo area you want it to stick to after not only cleaning it with alcohol and letting it dry, but also then heat the plastic with a hair dryer. Actually, you can use the hair dryer to evaporate the alcohol. This time of year, it's much more difficult to get adhesives to stick. Even if your garage keeps the temperature of the interior of the car near 50-60F, it's still not as good as 80-100F.

Once that's on there good, then stick the hooks to the exposed area, which should then have absolutely no problem sticking to the 5 pound rated mounting tape. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts