Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for another CR-V for my brother. I have a first gen 01 myself and love it. I told him it's probably best if he went for the second gen 05-06 for the 2.4L engine rather than my 2.0L. He's asked me to look in to the third gen for him, but haven't read much on them. His budget is around $10k and could possibly go either second or third gen. What are some pros and cons of the two generations? We're still hunting for a low mileage CR-V to replace his dying Mazda Millenia S. Any advice would be helpful in deciding either of the two generations. I know all of the problems of the first gen, but not the issues with second and third generations. Is there a particular year of the third gens he should look at like the 05-06 years? Another consideration is how much the cost of the engine it's self if a replacement is need down the road. I know you can get first gen's B20 engines for about $500-750.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
3rd gen CRVs seem to have the same A/C death issues as gen.2. I would get as new as possible, so I’m guessing you could get an ’09 CRV for $10,000, but don’t for what they go for in your state as I’m in Canada.

That’s what I would do!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight Rickman!

I found a 2005 CR-V SE with 39k miles for about $12,500. My brother seems to think that the 09 with about 48k is worth the $14,000 because it's 7 years old versus the 10-11 years old. Due to our state using salt during the winter has made him believe that the younger vehicle would have a bit more life before rust eats it...I told him regardless, it's how you keep your car clean that determines if salt will rust your car sooner.

He has also taken in consideration this website that logs complaints of each model...
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR-V/

I'm not sure where these complaints are logged from, but he believes in comparison of the '05 and '09 models he's found that he would go more towards the '09... I told him if he's going off that chart, than nothing is better than the '06 model...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Id have him look at both and see what he prefers better. I like the outside mounted spare as you get alot more interior storage on yhe gen 2.5, 05-06. Also like the windows flips up from the rest of the gate.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Honda4Life. I prefer the spare tire on the outside and hatch window. Does the 07-11 rear hatch window not open?

What is the difference with the engines in the 2.5 gen and 3 gen? I see it's the same 2.4L I4 engine.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Both the 05 and 09 would be equally reliable ! With the 09 you get a few more horses and torque compared to the 05, dont remember exact nos but you can find that easily. The 05 has more ground clearance and there will be a bit more noise and less refined than the 09. the 09 will drive more car like, also will have slightly more passenger and cargo room. |The hatch window does not open in the 09.
AWD system was tweaked in gen3 to react faster that the gen2.
my personal opinion would be get the 09 as it is newer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
@01CRVEX from your original post it sounds like you might be confused about the engines on the crv's.

1st Gen are years 97-01. These have B20 engines while the
2nd Gen are years 2002-2004.. This is when honda changed motors and these crv's have the K-24 motor.
The 05 & 06 Crv's also have the k series 2.4L motor and are "Gen 2.5"
3rd Gen Crv's are the 07-11.

For some input on the subject I've owned my 05 for about a year now and it's been great. I've also driven an 08 and if I were to choose between I'd go with another 05 or maybe 06.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@01CRVEX from your original post it sounds like you might be confused about the engines on the crv's.

1st Gen are years 97-01. These have B20 engines while the
2nd Gen are years 2002-2004.. This is when honda changed motors and these crv's have the K-24 motor.
The 05 & 06 Crv's also have the k series 2.4L motor and are "Gen 2.5"
3rd Gen Crv's are the 07-11.

For some input on the subject I've owned my 05 for about a year now and it's been great. I've also driven an 08 and if I were to choose between I'd go with another 05 or maybe 06.
Sorry for confusing you 05CRVEX, I do know about the engine in the first gen, but not the second or third gens. Did some research and looking at specs the 05-06 had a K24A engine (156hp?)and the 07-11 had a revised K24Z engine (166hp?)...

Thanks for your inputs vhercules and 05CRVEX! I'm taking my brother this afternoon to check out the 2005 CR-V SE with 39k miles in Pewter Pearl... I'll post back with pictures if he decides to purchase it!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sorry for confusing you 05CRVEX, I do know about the engine in the first gen, but not the second or third gens. Did some research and looking at specs the 05-06 had a K24A engine (156hp?)and the 07-11 had a revised K24Z engine (166hp?)...

Thanks for your inputs vhercules and 05CRVEX! I'm taking my brother this afternoon to check out the 2005 CR-V SE with 39k miles in Pewter Pearl... I'll post back with pictures if he decides to purchase it!
Yeah the hp that you have mentioned sounds about right. good luck, you wont go wrong with either as long as it has been maintained well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had an 2001 and wasn't impressed with it. The interior handle to open the driver side door snapped off.
Then we got a 2010 and, aside from the seats being uncomfortable for me, it was great. Loved the gas mileage, handled the road very well (although we got AWD because we have unpaved roads). Only got high-centered once and that was after weeks of rain and logging trucks illegally driving on the road and creating huge ruts.

I currently have a 2013-- which is the year that backup cameras became standard. I'm trying to remember what years the airbag recall affected-- I'm thinking up to 2011 or 12 in CR-Vs, but I'd have to check.

Edmunds.com lets you look up the vehicles and tells you the pros and cons and compares them. Consumer Reports website also had a thing that shows the ratings of the vehicles for specific years. I don't know if they offer trial memberships though-- a lot of their stuff you have to pay a subscription to access.

If you have a samsclub membership, you can get sometimes get additional discounts if you go to their site and put /auto after it.

I wish I could be more helpful on this.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had an 2001 and wasn't impressed with it. The interior handle to open the driver side door snapped off.
Then we got a 2010 and, aside from the seats being uncomfortable for me, it was great. Loved the gas mileage, handled the road very well (although we got AWD because we have unpaved roads). Only got high-centered once and that was after weeks of rain and logging trucks illegally driving on the road and creating huge ruts.

I currently have a 2013-- which is the year that backup cameras became standard. I'm trying to remember what years the airbag recall affected-- I'm thinking up to 2011 or 12 in CR-Vs, but I'd have to check.

Edmunds.com lets you look up the vehicles and tells you the pros and cons and compares them. Consumer Reports website also had a thing that shows the ratings of the vehicles for specific years. I don't know if they offer trial memberships though-- a lot of their stuff you have to pay a subscription to access.

If you have a samsclub membership, you can get sometimes get additional discounts if you go to their site and put /auto after it.

I wish I could be more helpful on this.
I love my first gen and would never give it up. If the engine goes, I'll put in another... You are correct about the rear cameras being standard on all models after 2013.

Just came back from 25 mile trip to see this 2005 CR-V SE with 39K miles and was disappointed to see the whole entire right exterior was ruined with multiple scratches. The previous owner seems to have definitely taken it down the woodsy areas and had twigs brush the entire right side. The dealer wasn't giving any wiggle on their $12,700 price tag, so we left. Went to another dealer around the way and was informed that most 02-11 CR-Vs are put away not for sale due to the airbag recalls which is understandable. Guess our hunt will continue in to late summer...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts