Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 CRV and have a problem I have not been able to figure out.

Starting out cold, everything works fine. As I go 10-15 miles, I can feel the car start to drag, Within another couple miles, the car will not move. Once I let it sit for awhile, it will start out fine again. I can smell brake pads burning

I thought that it was a caliper hanging up so I checked them out and they are working fine. The emergency brake is not on and the brake pad smell is up front anyways. I changed the hoses from the caliper and did a flush of brake fluid and bled them out.

Could a bad bearing cause this? I have not heard any strange noises and when I grabbed the wheel I could not feel any play.

Any thought on where to next?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Was anything done before this happened? It sounds like the caliper is hanging up & wont release when it heats up. Try to release the bleeder see if the brake fluid squirts hard . Can you feel which wheel is hotter when it wont move? How about the sliders are they working properly? Let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, there was nothing done previous. The car was actually sitting out the winter and was just getting it back on the road.

I replaced the front calipers and hoses as I thought that one of those was hanging up. The sliders are all moving correctly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Michael, if you are 100% sure that all air is bled from the system then possibly it's a master cyl or ABS valve problem. Maybe they would show a code? Again, system is completely bled?? Did you use new fluid from an unopened container? Brake fluid unsealed can absorb moisture from the air, which is incompatible with brake operation, from my understanding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just did a complete flush with new fluid and bleed them out. No ABS on LX model.

Master cylinder is next I suppose.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Are the brakes a red herring? The 10-15 mile issue, then let it sit for awhile doesn't sound like brakes. It might be transmission fluid burning (getting too hot from low volume amount). Check your fluid level, it might be low.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,598 Posts
You can isolate a sticking brake by driving a couple miles, then feeling the center of each wheel.

A hot wheel indicates the one that is dragging.

I'm voting for a binding front caliper (especially since the V has sat idle for a long time). Rebuilt parts are cheap enough. (You didn't say that you replaced them in the first post, only the third. So I'm a little confused about what work you have done.)

Your symptoms are not likely to be a master cylinder or wheel bearing, in my experience.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My brother had a similar problem on some kind of Dodge. The problem was the rubber brake hoses to the front wheels restricted the brake fluid. He replaced them and solved the problem. It took a while to figure it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts