Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I compared both.

Basically,
EX has moonroof, which is unnecessary in Texas, nevertheless it lowers the roof. LX doesn't
EX has keyless access and start, and LX is old school
EX has power seat adjust with heating, and LX doesn't, all manual
EX has lane-change camera, and LX doesn't
EX has touch screen LCD with larger view when back the car, LX only has the small LCD
EX has lighted mirror, LX doesn't
EX uses some sort of privacy window, LX need tint
EX has fog light, LX doesn't

Does that justify the $2000 difference? In dealer tag, tint is $383 extra

I am currently drive a LX, and I never need a fog light

·
Registered
453 Posts
I love the right camera. It has saved me many times! And honestly, I wish I had gone with the Rogue as it has all around cameras. I wish my Honda had a left camera.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Bottom line: are the extra features worth $2000 to you?

Personally I liked the idea of messing with the touch screen, the butt warmers for the single digit high days, the fog lights for when it rolls in from the lake, and the keyless access especially for when gloved hands can't spare the dexterity to fiddle with keys. The EX made sense for me, but your climate may vary.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yes, if it is still affordable for you and your budget. You will enjoy the added amenities and in the future it will add to the resale value. Cheers!

·
Registered
772 Posts
The EX in my opinion is a wise investment, also as suggested by jimbob15. I would compare from Dealer to Dealer for the best deal. Find one you really like, that's when you will get your best deal. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
David g.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Ok, here I go once again doing this although its been just over a yr since the last time I did this.

I went to kelly blue book dot com, put in just the standard stuff for a 2015 model EX and then LX. Both FWD only as the OP is in Texas so I doubt they are looking for an AWD model. Both with the default mileage of 13,545 in very good condition with silver being the color for both and these are the results.

The LX model gave a private party price of $19,251. Trade in value of $17,070.

The EX model gave a private party price of $21,475. Trade in value of $19,972.

So that being said, the EX has a private party retail of $2,224 more than the LX model. If you were to trade it in, the EX is worth $2,902 over the LX.

Remember, you said it was $2,000 difference in price. Well you don't lose it. I personally like the extra features.

If I hadnt spent the last 10 minutes doing that but of research I would have search for the thread I did this in before over a year ago. The results were the same as I what I just got here.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Not gonna put down all the numbers but did the samething but with 2006 models. So 9-10 yrs down the road. The EX was worth $1,000 plus more than the LX. This time both had a default mileage of under 115,000 miles.

Hope this aids in your decision.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all!!! It does help me to make the decision. Consider the reselling value, probably the touchscreen and right camera do justify the investment down the road. People now are growing up with touchscreen. I did purchase the LX model when I was buying my 2006 CRV, and I only compared the specs and felt the base model already meet all my needs.

The right camera may help avoid potential side collision. Although I am not a big fan of it, since I drive pretty carefully, I believe many would love to have it. The only major problem I am against EX is the moon roof. It costs 2" of head space, and in Texas, I've had enough of sunshine without it.... The 7" LCD does look nice. The 17" wheel does add 2" clearance. The benefit of all the nice features, plus the holding of reselling value. It does make huge sense to go for an EX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bottom line: are the extra features worth $2000 to you?

Personally I liked the idea of messing with the touch screen, the butt warmers for the single digit high days, the fog lights for when it rolls in from the lake, and the keyless access especially for when gloved hands can't spare the dexterity to fiddle with keys. The EX made sense for me, but your climate may vary.
Actually, I talked to a sales early today. He is an old guy. I don't see any chance here in Texas we need a heated seat, but he brought a good point. He like the heating, very comforting especially after driving 2 hours or longer. So, sometimes you never know what people are looking for.

I've been in Texas for quite a few years, and I only had one time experience with the fog, but it was really thick. With regular headlight, I was hardly able to see anything, but when I turned on the high beam, I was basically driving against a white wall right in front of me. It is the worst experience I've ever had with fog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, here I go once again doing this although its been just over a yr since the last time I did this.

I went to kelly blue book dot com, put in just the standard stuff for a 2015 model EX and then LX. Both FWD only as the OP is in Texas so I doubt they are looking for an AWD model. Both with the default mileage of 13,545 in very good condition with silver being the color for both and these are the results.

The LX model gave a private party price of $19,251. Trade in value of $17,070.

The EX model gave a private party price of $21,475. Trade in value of $19,972.

So that being said, the EX has a private party retail of $2,224 more than the LX model. If you were to trade it in, the EX is worth $2,902 over the LX.

Remember, you said it was $2,000 difference in price. Well you don't lose it. I personally like the extra features.

If I hadnt spent the last 10 minutes doing that but of research I would have search for the thread I did this in before over a year ago. The results were the same as I what I just got here.
Just want to mention, I really like these numbers :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, if it is still affordable for you and your budget. You will enjoy the added amenities and in the future it will add to the resale value. Cheers!
Everything is about resale value... When I was shopping a house, my agent constantly planted the idea of resale value in my head. She told me, when you want to sell it, you really want to sell it well and fast.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Everything is about resale value... When I was shopping a house, my agent constantly planted the idea of resale value in my head. She told me, when you want to sell it, you really want to sell it well and fast.
I only buy used cars. Honestly, decent EX or EX-L model will sell faster than a clean LX most times. Just watch the Craigslist of major cities.

As for head room, you super tall or you just enjoy wearing cowboy hats while driving? If its the second option, George Barris did do some raised roof conversions on cars for none other than John Wayne so he too could drive around while wearing his cowboy hat. :)

As for the sun, just keep the shade closed. And/or have 5% tint put on it to darken it up. Ive done that on all my Hondas and like them that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only buy used cars. Honestly, decent EX or EX-L model will sell faster than a clean LX most times. Just watch the Craigslist of major cities.

As for head room, you super tall or you just enjoy wearing cowboy hats while driving? If its the second option, George Barris did do some raised roof conversions on cars for none other than John Wayne so he too could drive around while wearing his cowboy hat. :)

As for the sun, just keep the shade closed. And/or have 5% tint put on it to darken it up. Ive done that on all my Hondas and like them that way.
Well, I am not super tall, but someone once complained to me regarding how the moonroof cuts short the internal height, so I got this idea. The 2015 looks a lot lower than my old 2006 though. Smart people can always cut a good deal from craigslist. It might be a good idea. When I bought my 2006, Honda had a very nice loan APR, but it seems the good old days were gone for good now. It seems I need to also do some shopping on craigslist now.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I suggest you get the power seats. CRV seats without adjustments are terribly uncomfortable on long drives (little thigh support due to short seat). If you only use it for short trips, you should be ok.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am 5'10" with my height mostly in my torso (vs my legs). If my seat is up all the way, my head does hit the ceiling. So I recline it a little bit. Last month, I did an 8 hour road trip and the EX-L seats were really uncomfortable so I went to Sam's Club the next day and bought a Sharper Image cushion. So then, I had to recline the seat even more for the trip home!

I have run into this height issue with a lot of vehicles in this class. I don't consider myself a tall person compared to my friends.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am 5'10" with my height mostly in my torso (vs my legs). If my seat is up all the way, my head does hit the ceiling. So I recline it a little bit. Last month, I did an 8 hour road trip and the EX-L seats were really uncomfortable so I went to Sam's Club the next day and bought a Sharper Image cushion. So then, I had to recline the seat even more for the trip home!

I have run into this height issue with a lot of vehicles in this class. I don't consider myself a tall person compared to my friends.
With my 5'9" I too am genetically adapted to movie theatres and airline travel, sitting like someone who's close to 6'2". If I straighten my back as straight as it will go I can bump the ceiling of my 2015 EX, and in any case it's tricky to scratch one's head without bending down a bit. In coming from a moonroofless 1997 LX I lost 2.5" of headroom and now at 38" it's pretty much the lowest front headroom in the class. So it was a concern for me, but I can just about get away with it - just.

With the CR-V's relatively high seating and my eyeballs near the roof I can also see over the tops of sedans in front of me, which is helpful.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I'm just over 6'1". Never have I had issue and Ive only owned Hondas with factory roofs. I do adjust the seat down though closer to the floor.

There have been complaints about the comfort of the 4th gen EXL front seats. Theres more than a few threads on this forum about it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm just over 6'1". Never have I had issue and Ive only owned Hondas with factory roofs. I do adjust the seat down though closer to the floor.

There have been complaints about the comfort of the 4th gen EXL front seats. Theres more than a few threads on this forum about it.
Believe me - my seat is adjusted as low as possible.

I will probably trade this CRV off due to almost touching the ceiling and the uncomfortable seats in my EXL. I didn't realize either of this when I test drove the car. Once my life calms down......

Your height must be in your legs.

I have never had a problem before with other cars (previous car Camry which had better seat adjustments) and better seats!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts