Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all my 1st post here, just picked up a 2003 CR-V LX 4WD with 114K on it. Some old people owned it and really neglected it. Ive fixed a few things already but Im alittle stupmed on this one.

If I turn, even if its on to a street like a 90 degree turn, i get some bad shuddering, seems like its from the rear wheels. If i just do a straight up donut, it feels like it barely even wants to turn, it really bogs down and gets noisy. like a constant click or light clunk. The shuddering shakes the whole crv. Its pretty bad.

I was thinking a bad rear half shaft but oddly it will do this weather I turn left or right so now Im not sure.

Also worth mentioning is that If I go to back of the crv after I do some turns, I smell rubber from the tires and the inner top edge of the tire is warmer than the outer or middle.

Do i need to do the rear end fluid change / burnish thing? Or is my problem worse than that? Any one ever hear of this before?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Sounds like the rear end fluid thing. I was going to suggest you read those threads, but looks like you beat me too it. I never had the problem with mine, so can't offer any first hand knowledge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
definitely start by changing the rear differential fluid. I went through something similar when i first got the car (used). Wan't as bad, but the sound went away and everything was smooth after changing the rear diff fluid.
I do it every summer now. Half an hour per summer is worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just finished doing the rear diff fluid change and burnish according to the honda TSB # 07-024

Just went for a drive, made some sharp turns and all is good in the rear end now

I just cant get over the racket it was making back there is fixed by letting the wheels spin and some fluid changes :)

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Just finished doing the rear diff fluid change and burnish according to the honda TSB # 07-024

Just went for a drive, made some sharp turns and all is good in the rear end now

I just cant get over the racket it was making back there is fixed by letting the wheels spin and some fluid changes :)

Thanks for all the input!
Since it was making so much noise, I would recommend changing that fluid again (yep, again), as suggested in other threads. Be sure to only use
Honda's DPF recommended fluid to ensure the best results.
Buffalo4
PS: Since you did it once already, it shouldn't take you very long to do it again. :) (perhaps drive it for a wk or so first)
PPS: Since it takes just a little over 1 qt, perhaps you could reuse just a little of the old fluid to make up that 1/10 qt extra and save yourself some money since you probably have 9/10 of a qt left over from the first change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since it was making so much noise, I would recommend changing that fluid again (yep, again), as suggested in other threads. Be sure to only use
Honda's DPF recommended fluid to ensure the best results.
Buffalo4
PS: Since you did it once already, it shouldn't take you very long to do it again. :) (perhaps drive it for a wk or so first)
PPS: Since it takes just a little over 1 qt, perhaps you could reuse just a little of the old fluid to make up that 1/10 qt extra and save yourself some money since you probably have 9/10 of a qt left over from the first change.
Your probably right, thanks for the advice. Luckily I bought a extra quart cause I spilled some anyways so I do have enough to do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 99 crv had a mental grinding noise in both directions and I changed the rear diff fluid. It's quiet forwards and on full forward tight circles but in reverse the rear seams to really tighten up and the diff pulls right down onto the exhaust and screams on the propshaft any idears guys

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Sounds like it could be a rear spring problem or other suspension problem. Hopefully it is not a diffy problem.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My 99 crv had a mental grinding noise in both directions and I changed the rear diff fluid. It's quiet forwards and on full forward tight circles but in reverse the rear seams to really tighten up and the diff pulls right down onto the exhaust and screams on the propshaft any idears guys
Change that fluid again as was mentioned in an earlier post. It could take 3 changes before it's OK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts