Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I have a problem regarding engine idling. A few times when my wife comes home backing the car into the car port, the kitchen windows rattle. I pop the hood and check the engine idling and it's shaking like a leaf. On other occasions it's somewhat OK. Slight vibration, but not as bad. When we first got the vehicle the engine idling was steady as a rock. Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this before I take it in to the dealer and get a "nothing wrong here" answer?

Thanks folks.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,143 Posts
Is the engine sufficiently heated etc?

Because if she has gone out for a short run etc, its bound to vibrate as its still cold and not at ambient operating temperature. Engines do that.

And if the rev-counter is stable at idle, why worry?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Because if she has gone out for a short run etc, its bound to vibrate as its still cold and not at ambient operating temperature. Engines do that.

This was noticed after coming home from work. Same trip back each time showing different idling results. Engine is fully warmed up. I recall when we first test drove the car. Came back to the dealer, popped the hood while engine still running and it was steady as a rock as mentioned. Engine idle after the same trip back home is inconsistent. That's what's got me concerned. Thanks for replying.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,143 Posts
Engines can be like that.

Of course, take it to you dealer if you fear something is up - but if its running fine, I wouldnt bother. Thats just me though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Engines can be like that.

Of course, take it to you dealer if you fear something is up - but if its running fine, I wouldnt bother. Thats just me though.
Thanks. I will call the dealer Monday morning and set up a time to bring it in. Something is causing it to be inconsistent, and having it idle rough at times signals that. Certainly not smooth running before we purchased it.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Never hurts to look at he engine bay, see if anything looks different, a filter off can cause shake a hole in a vacume line, etc, just saying. maybe a plug is Missing fire. Stay safe number one priority!

Reactions: agentl074

·
Registered
656 Posts

Never had a modern computer controlled engine in a car in the last 30 years “shake like a leaf” because it was used for a short trip, or cold. Must be something only you consider normal.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
Considering the corona virus situation, I've decided to hold off taking the car in for service at present. The idling is not a big issue, so it can wait.
Yeah... all the dealerships in my 6 county area here in northern California have ceased showroom sales operations, under compliance with the multi-county shelter-in-place order.

Service departments are considered an "essential business" for the community, so they remain open... some at reduced hours, and I am sure they have modified their customer interactions to stay compliant with county distancing orders.

If one of my vehicles needs service during our shelter-in place, or afterwards, I will plan it all out in advance to minimize any contact with COVID-19. I think the biggest issue is not knowing who was sitting in your vehicle, and what they touched... so that requires some thought to mitigate that (large trashbags covering the front seats, that I can simply remove and toss right there, as well as plenty of BKZ handwipes to wipe things down that I might touch on the drive home. After that.. just let the vehicle sit for 72 hours and any virus traces would be dead by then). I'll check the oil level 72 hours after I get the vehicle back home.. so be sure I know if they over-filled or not.

The dealer where I buy my Hondas though.. always progressive in business.. has a complete suite of online shopping and buying services which remain open and active for buyers. You literally can shop for and purchase a vehicle, and then go in and finalize the paperwork and payment and take delivery on a new vehicle. I honestly doubt there will be many buying in this method right now, though it might be a great way to score a Hybrid CRV over the next month.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah... all the dealerships in my 6 county area here in northern California have ceased showroom sales operations, under compliance with the multi-county shelter-in-place order.

Service departments are considered an "essential business" for the community, so they remain open... some at reduced hours, and I am sure they have modified their customer interactions to stay compliant with county distancing orders.

If one of my vehicles needs service during our shelter-in place, or afterwards, I will plan it all out in advance to minimize any contact with COVID-19. I think the biggest issue is not knowing who was sitting in your vehicle, and what they touched... so that requires some thought to mitigate that (large trashbags covering the front seats, that I can simply remove and toss right there, as well as plenty of BKZ handwipes to wipe things down that I might touch on the drive home. After that.. just let the vehicle sit for 72 hours and any virus traces would be dead by then). I'll check the oil level 72 hours after I get the vehicle back home.. so be sure I know if they over-filled or not.

The dealer where I buy my Hondas though.. always progressive in business.. has a complete suite of online shopping and buying services which remain open and active for buyers. You literally can shop for and purchase a vehicle, and then go in and finalize the paperwork and payment and take delivery on a new vehicle. I honestly doubt there will be many buying in this method right now, though it might be a great way to score a Hybrid CRV over the next month.

Still waiting to bring the car in to have it checked out. The issue still exists, but it can wait.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts