Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, so I live in a sort of hilly area with bumpy roads (not ridicolous but constant tho).

When I turn right corners the crv doesnt make a full turn. If I turn and hold the steering, it pushes its front out and then comes back in 3/4 way of the turn. Pretty awkward, but anyway I can get that fixed once a mechanic checks it.

Stuff like sway bar links (every couple of months), tie rods (1/2 years) and arm bushing (every couple of months) need changing alot. I need some help and advice.

What I'm looking for is advice on what exactly to change. I'm thinking fully adjustable coilovers (the crv makes a huge dip when turning corners its annoying! I hate original CRV shocks), a polyurethane bushing kit... but what else?

I have a GEN 1 1997 Real Time AWD CRV RD1 japanese model, no bodykit ( maxresdefault.jpg )

Even some eBay links would be helpful. PayPal is the best option for me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
sounds like your probably driving too agressivly and taking the corners too fast if all that stuff is wearing out that quick. my first suggestion would be to slow down for safety and decresed wear and tear. even though crv's are built like cars, they dont handle like cars so dont expect them to.

that being said, better shocks and possibly springs would probably be the biggest help in cornering. the old man emu lift kit (mild lift) which consists of springs and shocks, has pretty good reviews for improving handling.

poly bushings might make your cornering tighter, but would also make the bumpy roads allot more noticable. the flex in the stock joints is there for a reason.

as far as rod ends, ball joints and sway bar links, it certanly wouldnt hurt to replace them with some high quality, rebuildable and greasable metal on metal ones. the mevotech suprime and ttx ones i have heard good things about, but havent actually tried (will be my next project). i believe rock auto has most of their line for the crv, including ball joints, controll arms, tie rod ends and stabalizer bar links.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sounds like your probably driving too agressivly and taking the corners too fast if all that stuff is wearing out that quick. my first suggestion would be to slow down for safety and decresed wear and tear. even though crv's are built like cars, they dont handle like cars so dont expect them to.

that being said, better shocks and possibly springs would probably be the biggest help in cornering. the old man emu lift kit (mild lift) which consists of springs and shocks, has pretty good reviews for improving handling.

poly bushings might make your cornering tighter, but would also make the bumpy roads allot more noticable. the flex in the stock joints is there for a reason.

as far as rod ends, ball joints and sway bar links, it certanly wouldnt hurt to replace them with some high quality, rebuildable and greasable metal on metal ones. the mevotech suprime and ttx ones i have heard good things about, but havent actually tried (will be my next project). i believe rock auto has most of their line for the crv, including ball joints, controll arms, tie rod ends and stabalizer bar links.
Thank you. The bumpy roads may never change, sometimes you need to drive "aggressively" as you have things to do.

So basically my best bet is

Coilovers and rebuildable suspension parts?

What do you think about this kit https://m.ebay.com/itm/22-Pc-Complete-Suspension-Kit-for-Honda-CR-V-1997-2001-Front-Control-Arms-Set/272828721031?fits=Year:1997|Make:Honda|Model:CR%2DV

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have never heard of that brand, i would personally go with a reputable well known brand, and the price is low enough that id guess its not a verry high quality kit. but they do say lifetime warrenty so depending on how much of a pain it would be to get a warrenty replacement, they might be a good deal.

they mention some come with greese fittings some without, but that you can request ones with grease fittings you just might need to wait for them. id message the seller and see if they can guarntee you will get greese fittings on all ball joints and tie rod ends.

as far as rebuildable, im sorry i was thinking of another product i was looking at. dosent look like the joints i mentiond are rebuildable. Im not sure if you can get rebuildable ball joints and tie rod ends for the crv. but the ones i mentioned are verry well designed and high quality, and the ability to regularly greese them will make them last MANY times longer than a non greasable option. im guessing the cheap ones you linked almost certanly have lower quality plastic liners that the ball joint rides in, and thus even though greasing them will make them last allot longer, the plastic no doubt will wear allot faster. the mevotech ones are a sintered metal to metal joint, which if greased will last allot longer and stay tighter longer than one with a plastic liner, and theres also some nice design elements like they have a small one way valve in the boot for the greese to escape from, which is nice because otherwise it forces its way out under the
boot seal and can deform it / streach the retaining clip.

the mevotech kit here is $263, but its only for the front, and dosent have stabalizer bar links. the rear arms just have bushings so its not nearly as critical to get really good quality ones, although id get good quality rear stabalizer bar links. you can also just get an upper ball joint instead of a whole controll arm if the bushings are ok on your current one.

keep in mind you will also need an allignment when the work is done, especially if you replace shocks / springs.

make sure if you order from rock auto to look up a discount code, and use their "combine items to save money on shipping" feature.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,1998,crv,2.0l+l4,1315673,suspension,front+end+kit,15413

heres what you would need for a complete link / joint kit

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,1998,cr-v,2.0l+l4,1315673,suspension,stabilizer+bar+link,7580

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,1998,cr-v,2.0l+l4,1315673,suspension,control+arm,10401

1 - 4 of 4 Posts