Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At approximately 41,000 miles, the Maintenance Minder on my 2017 CR-V popped up the A1 code. I understood this to mean it needed oil change and tire rotation. Since I’d had snow tires installed two weeks prior I made an appointment at my dealership just for an oil change.

While in the waiting room, the service rep came in and said the vehicle was also due for several other items, which I approved. On my bill they were itemized as:

Oil Change, (etc) $47.88

Air Filter/Air Cleaner Element - $45.00

Cabin Fresh Service/Filter Element/Frigi-Fresh - $89.95

Fuel System Service - $167.99

Ethanol Service - $30.00

As I was checking out I asked the rep if there was a chart available to let me know when service would be necessary. After all, I had come in planning to spend around $40, and ended up spending almost $400! It would be helpful on the budget to know in advance. Not to mention the time budget, planning on an hour and being there for 4 hours!

He informed me that, no, there is no chart—I would have to depend on the Maintenance Minder.

Later I thought about it and realized that the MM only indicated an oil change. How did the shop know that all of this other stuff was required? And if I had just gone to Jiffy-Lube as I originally intended, would needed maintenance have gone undone?

I’m not complaining about the work or the cost. Just a lot of questions on my mind about the process and wondering if anyone here has some insight. Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
They said you should do “this” you said okay, that’s what they count on to generate additional revenue.

Most of it was wasted money unless the filters were actually dirty, and if they were you could have changed them yourself for far less money.

What is “ethanol treatment”?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Oil Change, (etc) $47.88

Air Filter/Air Cleaner Element - $45.00

Cabin Fresh Service/Filter Element/Frigi-Fresh - $89.95

Fuel System Service - $167.99

Ethanol Service - $30.00
You can change the air filters, both engine and cabin filter, for a lot less than you were charged. Buy several of each filter type online, and then store the extras until the next change.

Frigi-Fresh is a chemical sprayed into the A/C system to eliminate musty or foul odors. Did you have bad smells in your CR-V when the fan or A/C was on?

Fuel System Service usually means cleaning the fuel system, which may include the fuel filter, fuel pump, and fuel injectors. Save yourself the money and add a bottle of Chevron Techron to your fuel tank a couple of times a year before you fill up the tank.

Ethanol Service is for cars that were designed to run on fuel that does not contain ethanol, which means cars made before about 1980. And most lawn mowers and gasoline powered garden tools don't like ethanol, so I add an appropriate amount of treatment to the gas can I use to fill up my mower and gas powered edger. I do not add it to my CR-V.

My suggestion is to find a different Honda dealer to have your CR-V serviced. For warranty purposes make sure you keep all of you receipts, even if you decide to replace the filters yourself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate all the “do-it-yourself’ advice, and in fact my husband used to do a lot of our maintenance. He passed away a couple of years ago and I’m 70+ and not in the best health so that is not an option.

Maybe my question was not clear. I’m not quibbling about the price, only the process used to determine that these things were required. If the Maintenance Minder did not indicate it, how would I know? My previous vehicles had a schedule in the manual. I haven’t been able to find anything for this one.

I live in a rural area and the next nearest HONDA dealer is about 250 miles away.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
So I have similar problems with my local Honda dealer.
I have a 2014 CR-V that does have the Maintenance Minder. The last time I took it in was just for a couple of things, and then the service writer came to me in the waiting room with a list of other things they were recommending. I told him that I brought it in for the Maintenance Minder codes, and I was not going to agree to, or pay for, any other services today. I had to be stubborn, but he got the message and they only did what the Maintenance Minder codes were indicating needed to be done.

So be firm, and refuse those "recommended" services. If they still push for additional services, ask to speak to the Service Manager.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If the Maintenance Minder did not indicate it, how would I know? My previous vehicles had a schedule in the manual. I haven’t been able to find anything for this one.
Look in your manual. I think there is a way to find out which maintenance minder codes are coming due, and what those codes mean.

$89 for changing a $20 cabin air filter is just plain wrong. It takes 5 minutes and no tools to do. If they charged you $30 that would be ok. I find it interesting that they charge $45 for the engine air filter, which takes a bit more time to replace.

·
Registered
101 Posts
There is no definitive time frame for some of these suggested maintenance items.

They just hope you’ll say yes during this visit, they’ll asked you next time you’re in too, even if it’s not that far into the future.

While I know you want to maintain the car correctly, most of it was unneeded.

Saying “no” is a good thing.

Now, if the cost is irrelevant to your financial situation, then there’s no harm in doing these things.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
343 Posts
To put it simply, they took you for a ride. The mm system on these cars is all that's needed except a couple items listed in the maintenance section of the owners manual. Brake fluid and possible valve adjustment for my 2011.
Most of the items listed would (and may still) come up on the maintenance minder. Things like Fuel Service only need done if performance indicates a need. It's just disgusting the way these folks take advantage of females. Write 'em a letter (Honda).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dealers make their money on service, not new car sales. Service advisors will try to sell you unneeded items all the time, that's their job. Keep a log book and fill it in with date and mileage info. I've caught them recommending service that they had done only 5k miles earlier. Got very quiet when I pointed that out and they looked in their record. My favorite scam is the power steering pump flush out, hydraulic fluid does not "wear out".

·
Registered
46 Posts
All good advice here for the poster. Having worked for a new car auto dealer (although not necessary to know this) I can tell you new car dealers make the largest part of their profit in the service dept. Too bad glomor can't do most of these tasks herself. The "fuel system service" is an old trick. Costs the dealer a few bucks in "cleaner" and labor. Margin on this is LARGE. Suggest asking around for a reference to an independent shop. Of course buyer beware here as well.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
My dealer suggest items in addition to maintenance minder. I just tell them MM items only and no on others. My dealer doesn't push. I get 4 wheel alignment when tires need replacing, and change air filter and cabin pollen filter every other oil change. I've found those filters get really dirty much earlier than MM indicates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts