Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there. I could really use some wisdom of the forum. I've tracked down a water leak in my wife's 06 CR-V. It's leaking at the firewall seam sealant behind the blower motor housing at the exact same spot as this post by ksem (it's the dark stain (water mark) in the sealant)

What's the easiest/best way to get at this? I was thinking maybe remove the entire blower housing but I'm not having much luck. Has anyone ever done this? Is there another way to get at it?

I'd really appreciate any ideas!

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That the drain ?
The pink/black thing in front is electrical conduit. The leak is at the firewall behind the blower housing. Water enters through old decayed seam sealant from the windshield drain trough under the cowl. FYI, I'm aware of a related TSB regarding sealing a firewall seam, which I've already done. But it doesn't apply to this problem. I know that other forum members have dealt with this exact issue but I didn't read how they reached the faulty sealant!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After 2 days in the garage I "think" the leak is fixed. To properly access the faulty seam sealant I dropped the blower motor housing. I tried to take pics of process but they didn't turn out well. IF you want to attempt this (and I hope you don't) I'll offer the following tips/tricks:

1. You'll need a fair assortment of long ratchet extensions, universal adapters, etc.
2. There are several hidden 10mm (head) nuts and bolts that secure the housing. To access these you'll need to disconnect the wiring harnesses and the silver metal junction box immediately to the left of the housing (sorry, don't know the proper name).
3. You'll also need to disconnect the metal brace that the glovebox mounts to in order to drop the housing.
4. Given the tight quarters, I found a mirror to be essential.

The good news is that I was able to seal the leak using grey Dynatron autobody seam sealant from Advance Auto (a 3M product--very good stuff).

Hope this helps a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.