Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say thank you all for this awesome resource for all things Honda CR-V. I have a 2003 V with some water leak issues. I've searched high and low on your boards and cannot find anything pertaining to my issue. Sorry for the long story, but here goes.

Bought our used V in May of 2013. 140K. No "known" accidents. EX model with sunroof. (Let me say, I'm in love with this car. We'd had a Grand Caravan prior and HATED it.)

Had some water/condensation showing underneath the floor mats throughout the winter months here in Maryland. I started to notice a "musty smell". So, I started googling my problem. I've seen the cowl issue here on this forum, but that was not the problem. The issue was a moon roof drain. Took it to a local Honda dealer, and the leak doctor fixed the messed up passenger side moon roof drain. (We were getting water along the front side of the headliner. I diagnosed the problem myself by pouring water at both drains, and the passenger side drain did not move the water away. Leak Dr. replaced the passenger moon-roof drain for $150) When the drain was plugged my V had quite a bit of moisture under the carpet. I used shop towels to dab up the moisture and once it was nice out I left my windows open to "air" it out. I never had a lot (standing) of water in the car. Just drips from the headliner and some wet spots along the passenger footwell.

Fast forward to today, 2 weeks after the drain was fixed, I'm still seeing a quarter sized amount of moisture in the passenger side foot well. It's only in one spot. I can only find it when I press down on the carpeting with a shop towel. (The "moisture smell" is gone but I'm afraid it'll return...) Thoughts? I don't hear any liquid "sloshing" and my AC drain appears to be working under the V (A nice size puddle on a warm day). I really would like to have a sense to what the leak might be before I call the "Leak Dr." again...

Anybody seen this before?

IMG_2112.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: So, I just pulled up the carpet to take a peek, and the entire padding portion of the passenger footwell is very damp. Gonna try and dry it out by vacuuming the moisture out. Will see if moisture returns. If so I'm thinking I've got the cowl leak issue. I was shocked by how damp the padding was...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hate that you are having these issues on a really nice looking CRV. I think your in the right direction, and I don't think the LEAK DR. is the answer, since he has had a shot @ it at the cost of $150.00 out of your pocket.
Don't forget the windshield, could be a small pin hole that's been there for a while. Rain water is much softer than spicket water and much harder to duplicate. Go to wally world and get a roll of the blue painters tape and start @ the upper right corner of the windshield and go to the inside mirrow area, leave it on until it rains. Be sure you cover the rubber windshield moulding. JMHO, good luck.
david g.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Southwind, Thanks for the input. From the dampness it seems that the water is coming from the A-pillar and not the firewall area. Mind you, it has been rather dry here for the last week and a half so I haven't had a chance to watch where the waters coming in. We are scheduled to have a good soaker over the next 24 hours so I hope to find the area water is coming in (if it is). I have the carpeting almost dried out so I should have a good idea where the water is coming from if I start to see moisture! I'll def try the blue tape if I start seeing water over the next 24 hours.

To be honest, I'm hoping I don't see any water. We had a storm dump 5-6 inches of rain about a day before the "leak doctor" fixed my moon-roof drain about a week and a half ago. I'm hoping I've cleaned out the rest of the remnants of that leak. *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
705 Posts
My 93 Honda Civic gets water like this on the passenger side. It's definitely a windshield or thereabouts leak. If I take it through a car wash, I can see water dripping from under the dash. I haven't cared enough to get it fixed yet. I haven't even taken any molding or flashlight to the area to try pinpoint the exact leak. If you flood your windshield with water though, I bet you'll get it to drip and maybe find the culprit hole.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, over the night we've been getting drenched with rain. I pulled up and rolled back the carpet and padding two days ago so I could hopefully see where the water is coming from. It appears the water is coming in somewhere above the moon roof drain line exit inside the cab. Water is dripping down along the tube and dripping into the a-pillar area. The water is coming from somewhere forward of the windshield. I'm wondering if water could be coming in at the antenna seal and dripping down on the moon roof drain line and dripping in there? I'll take pics once the rain moves out of the area.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Fairly certain we found the issue. At the end of the storm there was about 8oz of water at the front of the footwell closer to the a-pillar side. I took it to be looked at by a neighbor who is a windshield guy. He said it's not the windshield or the cowl. We found a missing "freeze ring" insert thing. Lol. Don't know the mechanical name. So we replaced it and siliconed it in. We ran a leak test with a "shower" hose on it for 45 minutes and no more leak. *crossing fingers*

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok, finally have a moment to upload the pics. So far, no moisture in the passenger footwell... Think we found the problem! Here are the photos of the fix. (This was the second water issue we had with the V, the first being a clogged moon roof drain and air couldn't clear it.)

First shot is a close-up of the siliconed "freeze-ring" (Forgive me if I get the name wrong.)
IMG_2120.jpg

Second shot is a pic of the location from under the wheel-well...
IMG_2121.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, been a few weeks since the fix and no moisture. Even the wet smell is gone! I'm thinking it's fixed!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts