Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let a friend of my youngest BIL start the process to change out the starter on my daughters 2005 V. While taking off the intake manifold he managed to round out two of the 18mm bolts that keep the manifold attached to the head/block.

I asked him to stop as he didn't have the extraction tip for a drill and I didn't want to leave the heads exposed until I had replacement bots.

The problem is that I have no service manual and have no idea of these crucial bolts length or threads per inch/cm so I don't even know where to source replacements. It's been 2 weeks and he hasn't returned leaving the throttle body exposed to natures wrath, even underneath a closed hood.

Soon we will start getting heavier frosts and snow. Had I known he was so irresponsible I wouldn't have bought a replacement starter and could have taken the V to a local shop and had the starter swapped out for around $400, with the part.

No I need to fix this in a quick way.

Can anybody give me the length and thread count on the bolts that fasten the intake manifold to the engine, so I can get the job finished. I've thought about going to my local dealer but that's a 15+ mile drive. Regardless this needs to be done ASAP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know the most tedious part of this job is removing all the stuff that lay in between engine/tranny and the radiator. The full air induction system has been removed to just the throttle body valve. I just need some good info please.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Should be on this page:

I let a friend of my youngest BIL start the process to change out the starter on my daughters 2005 V. While taking off the intake manifold he managed to round out two of the 18mm bolts that keep the manifold attached to the head/block.
The bolt in question should be in this parts diagram:

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2005-honda-cr-v-5dr_lx_4wd-ka-5at/intake-manifold.html

You are correct about using the "right" bolt. Any Honda dealer should either have them in stock or be able to get them over night.

And, What does "round out" mean?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The corners of the hex head have corroded and the guy used a cheap socket and the corners of the bolt rounded out. I think we are going to put back everything he took out and have it worked on by a Honda specialty mechanic. He should have all the correct bolts in stock or available to him. I got a note from the you tube videographer on the 2005 starter change out and he said to pull one of the undamaged bolt and take it from auto shops to hardware places because you certainly need the proper bolts. His change out was so much more simple than about 90% of the other videos. One guy removed the radiator cam and hoses. Jeery_Rig removed the battery and the hood latch but keeps the air box where it's at just removing tubing between air box and throttle control unit.

However since we live in a heavy corrosion zone and this car wasn't rust protected, I'm begging there will be several other bolts needing replacement. Best to get it into the hands of a Brick and mortar Hinda repair facility. They have good relations with the local dealers. One gave us a price quote of $200, plus shop fees (bolts and such) using the remanufactured Starter we have purchased. A completely fair deal as its cold, wet and windy with snow in the 10 day forecast. 3 out of the last 4 years we have had permafrost from Thanksgiving all the way to mid April. Snow belts kind of suck in Winter.

My back patio last year. Under that snow drift is a full sized grill. The front side was almost as bad. Mandatory plow contracting unless you have a spare back or enjoy operating a snowblower all day and night.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bolt in question should be in this parts diagram:

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2005-honda-cr-v-5dr_lx_4wd-ka-5at/intake-manifold.html

You are correct about using the "right" bolt. Any Honda dealer should either have them in stock or be able to get them over night.

And, What does "round out" mean?
Hey. I really appreciate you paring this. It's item 29. Good chart to have. We will be buying one of these for the older V. I do appreciate the help.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would recommend to use 6 point sockets instead of 12 points for prevention from the damage of the bolts and nuts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would recommend to use 6 point sockets instead of 12 points for prevention from the damage of the bolts and nuts.
Absolutely. I sourced this out to my youngest BILs friend who is trying to start his own shop. I never use that 12 point sockets it box wrench. The open ended wrenches always should be 4 sides of contact. Since I started working on motorcycles I don't even own the multipoint stuff. Garbage tools that can cause much harm on corroded bolts.

He's off the job now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The local mechanic got all things squared away with new bolts and a vacuum hose that the butcher wrecked as well. He even did an oil change. The 2005 V is all set for my daughter. I'll polish up the driver headlight a bit more tomorrow as it will be sunny and in the high 50sF.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts