Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a 2015 CR-V Touring and would like to get some inputs:
1. The two vehicles that I want to choose from are, CR-V and Subaru Forester. The reason why I am a little bit more inclined towards the Forester is because of its AWD. We get a lot of snow here and I would like to make sure that the vehicle does not give issues during the winter. Can you guys give some inputs on how CR-V's AWD system performs in the snow and if you have faced any issues with it?
2. I did read about the engine vibrating at idle issue in 2015 CR-V, including on this forum. Is it straight forward to detect the issue during the test drive? Should I pay any special attention during the test drive or just a stop at idle will bring up the issue if the vehicle has it? Also, the vehicle has extended warranty till 2022. In case I am not able to detect the vibration issue before the purchase, will Honda fix it under the warranty?
3. Any other specific item to 2015 CR-V that I should pay attention to before the purchase?

Appreciate your inputs.

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
1. The Subie's AWD system can be locked, so in some difficult situations it is better. But the mid-gen4s system is 99% as capable as Subarus. (You should also look up "vehicles most likely to blow head gaskets" on Consumer Reports.) 馃槵

2. If buying from a Honda dealer, see is the records indicate which 'fixes' for the idle issue were applied. (There were 3 of them)

Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
I have a 16 and on the factory Dunlop鈥檚 it did just great in New England snow. Just swapped those tires (always the limiting factor ) for Continental Truecontact Tour and we鈥檒l see how they do. So far on dry and wet roads, they鈥檝e done good.
Take your time to learn how to get the best from the adaptive cruise control.
Honda has good videos on you tube introducing its features.

Registered
My wife has a 2014 CRV AWD (nearly the same as 2015 CRV AWD CVT system) and my wife loves it. We use All-Season tires on factory rims during summer months and use ice/snow rated tires on steel rims during winter months. And, my insurance company gives ice/snow tire usage discounts during winter months as well. We live in deep snow / bad ice roads and she's never got stuck with her CRV AWD. Never! And if snow/ice was that bad (like after a bad storm), we simply stay at home - like majority of folks in my north village. To me, the CRV's AWD system would be very dangerous during a "lock up" state. If one ever "locked up" an AWD during an ice skid (like we did with our many previous 4x4 vehicles), then one knows default "lock up" can be a bad thing as well... I suppose one could purposely get CRV AWD with ice/snow tires purposely stuck. But if one drives like they respect Mother Nature, she always treats one with respect in return.

For idle vibrations, my wife's 2014 CRV has it. Sometimes, we notice it but most of the time, we don't notice it - possibly because we got used of it. IMO, a vehicle has it or doesn't. And, its not a "deal breaker" item to not buy.

Would my wife buy another 2014 CRV AWD for my north region (and use proper tires for each weather season extremes) again? Yes. Without hesitation. Hope this helps in your research....

Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
If I still lived in snow county I'd prefer the peace of mind an AWD presents. However I grew up in snow territory - way back when 2 wheel rear drive was the norm. Around 1980 FWD became popular, especially in snow country. It seemed that it climbed most any hill (and back then folks didn't use snow tires either).

My belief is both of your AWD contendors will easily handle your environment; pick the one that tickles your funny bone.

(*Anything but white, it's hard to see in the snow).

Registered
Hello everyone,

1. The two vehicles that I want to choose from are, CR-V and Subaru Forester. The reason why I am a little bit more inclined towards the Forester is because of its AWD. We get a lot of snow here and I would like to make sure that the vehicle does not give issues during the winter. Can you guys give some inputs on how CR-V's AWD system performs in the snow and if you have faced any issues with it?
2. I did read about the engine vibrating at idle issue in 2015 CR-V, including on this forum. Is it straight forward to detect the issue during the test drive? Should I pay any special attention during the test drive or just a stop at idle will bring up the issue if the vehicle has it? Also, the vehicle has extended warranty till 2022. In case I am not able to detect the vibration issue before the purchase, will Honda fix it under the warranty?
3. Any other specific item to 2015 CR-V that I should pay attention to before the purchase?

Appreciate your inputs.
The 2015 CR-V has the vibration issue. Very minor in my case, never had the update.

As far AWD in snow:

1. If you are stuck (parked) in heavy snow, it will take a bit of coaxing for the power to be directed to the rear wheels, but you will be able to free the vehicle. Without the rear wheels active you might be stuck requiring someone to pull you out in very heavy snow.

2. As long as you have some momentum going, the AWD system works well in snow.

Knock on wood, no problems in the almost 6 years of ownership. Changed the tires from the OEM Bridgestone Duelers to Michelin Defenders after 5 years due to some dry rot and flat spots.

Headlights could be brighter. I changed out the Original Stanley bulbs (made in Germany) to some brighter ones I found online.

I found that if you are trying to maneuver into a tight parking space and you make many turns of the steering wheel, the power steering power lowers (as the car is not really moving) and becomes somewhat difficult to turn.

Registered
I have a 2016, its the same as a 15 but doesn't have the potential vibration problem. The 15 and 16 are different than the 14.

Not all 15s vibrated at idle, turning on the air conditioner changes the RPM and can stop the vibration.

My wife had a Subaru Outback, we sold it and bought the CRV. The Subaru AWD system is better, but for on-road driving you won't see much of a difference in performance. It will feel different though.

The Honda AWD system was designed more around increasing the mileage than pure AWD performance.

The Honda AWD isn't engaged all the time like on the Subaru, it engages when it senses the front tires slipping. Sometimes you can feel it engage, you never feel that on the Subaru. You still get up the hill in the Honda though.

Due to the AWD system providing power to all the wheels at all times in the Subaru it tends to get lower mileage and may wear the tires out quicker.

The Honda CVT transmission tends to be better than the CVT in the Subaru.

Yes, we had three Subarus, two blew headgaskets, one did it twice.

This is our fourth Honda.

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
When did Honda start using the electronic rear dif lock when the cars take off from a standstill? THAT improved the AWD traction performance quite a bit. It resulted in less slip from a start.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for the inputs. I did a test drive yesterday and sure enough the vehicle was vibrating on idle. Talked to the dealer about it and he said he will perform the fixes suggested by Honda. I also reached a deal with the dealer on the vehicle pending the fix. Looking forward to owning my first Honda and learning more about it.

Registered
Thank you everyone for the inputs. I did a test drive yesterday and sure enough the vehicle was vibrating on idle. Talked to the dealer about it and he said he will perform the fixes suggested by Honda. I also reached a deal with the dealer on the vehicle pending the fix. Looking forward to owning my first Honda and learning more about it.
Good to catch before a sale as getting anything done after a sale probably wouldn't happen

Registered
Hello everyone,

Appreciate your inputs.
First of the new transmission. Some say it takes too long to spool up for their liking. You can drive and decide. Can not be towed behind the Camper like 2014.

Registered
First of the new transmission. Some say it takes too long to spool up for their liking. You can drive and decide. Can not be towed behind the Camper like 2014.
I've had 4 vehicles with CVTs, two Hondas and two Fords. I've had no complaints with them at all.

I will say I find regular automatic transmissions become far more confused in some situations.

The computer and the transmission frequently act like they're not on the same page as to what actions they're supposed to take. And your input as the driver can confuse things even more.

This can happen when trying to merge, or accelerate quickly, you may push the peddle down hard and nothing happens. The car is trying to decide what gear it needs to be in, and while that's going on the computer says "let's hold off on doing anything until we get this sorted out" or, the option I like, "I don't think the driver really wanted to accelerate that fast, so lets just sit here and do nothing for a few seconds to make sure"

I've never had this happen with a CVT, they always seem to do exactly what you want it to with no hesitation. Push the peddle and it goes.

People have just become so familiar with normal, now becoming old school, transmissions and their quirks, that they overlook these shortcomings and consider them normal. And that anything different isn't as good, even if the drivability in everyday use is better.

Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
A year and a half ago I purchased a 16 V (with the CVT). Do to all the stories (dating back many years ago) I had qualms about it but went ahead with the purchase. I come to like the CVT.

Due to daily space limitations (my cargo and dog) I traded it for a Passport. Now I'm back in a 14 V (my third one) because it can be flat towed.

Attachments

Registered
Let us know if dealer does fix "vibration at idle" and what he did to fix it. As you can tell, I don't have fail in Dealers / Stealers.... And, let us know how you love your new (new to you) CRV after driving it for a few weeks...

Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
Welcome to the forum! Moving to Shopping & Test Driving section.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts