Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here and first post, thanks for having me.

1. 2013 CRV-EX
2. Is it possible to turn off the exterior lights completely while the vehicle is running?
3. I use the vehicle for surveillance and want to give the appearance of an unoccupied vehicle in a driveway while it is running.
4. I would consider removing or changing light bulbs.
5. I will still need regular lights for driving, of course.

Thx

·
Registered
237 Posts

1. 2013 CRV-EX
2. Is it possible to turn off the exterior lights completely while the vehicle is running?
3. I use the vehicle for surveillance and want to give the appearance of an unoccupied vehicle in a driveway while it is running.
4. I would consider removing or changing light bulbs.
5. I will still need regular lights for driving, of course.

Thx
Set the parking brake before starting. This disables the lights until the brake is released.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a Gen 3 (2010) with DRL. Pulling the fuse for the DRL module will turn off daytime light which is, I think what you want to turn off. Not sure if your Gen 4 (2013) has a DRL module. Look at your owner manual in the fuse description to see if such fuse is present. Remember to in some states/provinces, it could be illegal to drive w/o DRL.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe it is legal in Florida to drive with no daytime lights, although on the highway I always use them manually in older vehicles. I am simply trying to do my job and blend in behind tinted windows to look like a parked soccer mom's car.

I will try both those ideas. The parking brake would be the better solution if in fact it segues into how I operate.

In addition, I got two kick-ass replies to my first post. Thank you. I will report back tomorrow to let you know the best avenue for this unique application.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solution:
***Pull the #21 7.5 amp fuse from the interior fuse box.

That totally cuts the daytime driving lights, but still allows all the other lights. Setting the parking brake does cut off the lights, but activates them again when the brake is released. Then one must turn off the ignition to repeat the process which in my case, cannot be done. I need to leave the engine running for video equipment and air conditioning.

In addition, if anybody ever needs to pull any fuse from the interior fuse box you need to stuff a rag into the top of the kick panel or the fuse could fall into it and never be recovered.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Solution:

That totally cuts the daytime driving lights, but still allows all the other lights. Setting the parking brake does cut off the lights, but activates them again when the brake is released. Then one must turn off the ignition to repeat the process which in my case, cannot be done. I need to leave the engine running for video equipment and air conditioning.

In addition, if anybody ever needs to pull any fuse from the interior fuse box you need to stuff a rag into the top of the kick panel or the fuse could fall into it and never be recovered.
This sounds like the voice of experience. :cool:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Solution:

Are you talking about interior lights ????

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Drive with lights off...

1. 2013 CRV-EX
Thx
If you have occasion to drive with all lights off, stop engine, put parking brake on only enough to keep the lights off - like one click, start engine. Lights will stay off until the parking brake is completely released.

This is a necessary procedure in areas such as Astronomy Observatories that require absolute zero lights.

And police work?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Get yourself a fuse puller. Your local auto supply will have one.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After reading the owner's manual I discovered the factory fuse puller is located in the lid of the engine compartment fuse box. Much better than my wife's tweezers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts