Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2016 CRV EX with push button start. Over the past week or so the car won't start and has to be jump started - just at random times. I've had the battery, alternator and starter checked at auto zone and they say it's good. I really don't think it's the battery. Anyone else having same issues? I've read that it might be a bad relay!?!

·
Administrator
3,353 Posts
Us 16 owners are getting close to or are at the three year "best before" date for the factory battery. If its original, replace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't think it's the battery. I guess I can have it checked again at a different place and see what they come up with.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Your battery can test "good" and still be bad. This is very common! Your best bet is to replace the battery since the battery is used for starting the car. So, if you need a jump, and the car starts with a jump, all signs lead to the battery. Go to Walmart and get an EverStar Maxx battery. They are fairly priced and have a long warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
WHY would a car with less than 40K miles need a new battery? My 2016 has been having random dead battery issues also. Dealer gives a different answer each time. (without doing any checking). Fob was too close, don't drive far enough, used acc too long ....etc. Last time they finally actually checked it and "suggested" a new battery. Here I am stuck again.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
WHY would a car with less than 40K miles need a new battery? My 2016 has been having random dead battery issues also. Dealer gives a different answer each time. (without doing any checking). Fob was too close, don't drive far enough, used acc too long ....etc. Last time they finally actually checked it and "suggested" a new battery. Here I am stuck again.
It's not about "mileage" but more about age of the battery, how it was maintained, and the environment in which is has operated. It has nothing to do with mileage.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
With the way Honda has the charging protocols set up in the CR-V, they tend to have a bad effect on the original battery's life. I believe for gas mileage purposes they over charge for a short time after starting so they can kill the cycle early to gain mileage. Running an alternator takes a lot of HP, especially when it's in a 'charging' situation. So, they call on it to charge heavily right after starting the car, which should be the largest draw on the battery if all is working to plan. They do this for a short period of time then cut off the alternator and allow the car to run on the battery only. It doesn't 'cycle' like it used to in the 'old days'. Do this any number of times during the day and soon the battery is cooking off the fluid. Since it's a 'sealed' battery, no one is going to question ie check, the fluid. This goes on for a number of months or years and then, low and behold, the fluid is so low that the plates have been exposed and the battery no longer holds a good enough charge to start the car.
If you've driven almost 40k miles, how many starts does that equate to?
Have you ever checked the fluid (even though it's a sealed battery)?
I did about a year and a half into owning our '13 EX. To my surprise I found a couple of cells required fluid. Since one was below the plates I knew the batteries days were numbered. Mind you, this is on a car that even now hasn't passed 35k miles at 5 yrs old.
Short trips, lots of starts, hot weather all add up to shortened battery life.
The battery mfg's have it down pretty good, I must admit. Their 3 yr warrantee's are right on the money, usually. They produce so many of them they've got the data to determine almost to the day when they will fail. A '16 model is right at 3 yrs old now that the '19's are out. Time for a new battery!
Will a group 24 fit in a '16 model guys?

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/24-do-yourself-mods/35034-larger-group-24-battery-install.html

·
Registered
895 Posts
With the way Honda has the charging protocols set up in the CR-V, they tend to have a bad effect on the original battery's life. I believe for gas mileage purposes they over charge for a short time after starting so they can kill the cycle early to gain mileage. Running an alternator takes a lot of HP, especially when it's in a 'charging' situation. So, they call on it to charge heavily right after starting the car, which should be the largest draw on the battery if all is working to plan. They do this for a short period of time then cut off the alternator and allow the car to run on the battery only. It doesn't 'cycle' like it used to in the 'old days'. Do this any number of times during the day and soon the battery is cooking off the fluid. Since it's a 'sealed' battery, no one is going to question ie check, the fluid. This goes on for a number of months or years and then, low and behold, the fluid is so low that the plates have been exposed and the battery no longer holds a good enough charge to start the car.
If you've driven almost 40k miles, how many starts does that equate to?
Have you ever checked the fluid (even though it's a sealed battery)?
I did about a year and a half into owning our '13 EX. To my surprise I found a couple of cells required fluid. Since one was below the plates I knew the batteries days were numbered. Mind you, this is on a car that even now hasn't passed 35k miles at 5 yrs old.
Short trips, lots of starts, hot weather all add up to shortened battery life.
The battery mfg's have it down pretty good, I must admit. Their 3 yr warrantee's are right on the money, usually. They produce so many of them they've got the data to determine almost to the day when they will fail. A '16 model is right at 3 yrs old now that the '19's are out. Time for a new battery!
Will a group 24 fit in a '16 model guys?

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/24-do-yourself-mods/35034-larger-group-24-battery-install.html
Dont know about fitting the '16s, but I jammed one in my '06. I like the extra battery, but when its time for a new one, I'm going to put a group 35 in it I think. Just a little smaller than the 24 and should fit better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts