Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I am new here. No Hondas in my past. There is likely one in the near future.

I am considering the years 2014 - 2016. Lots of low mileage ones still available. Are there any years, items I should look for or avoid? Key items to inspect or questions to ask?

I have read the forum and have seen the 2015 vibration issue and the gas in oil issues. Are these common issues or just known issues?

Any changes I should plan to make to the vehicle assuming it is mostly stock when I get it (Other than replacing fluids, tires and brakes)?

Thanks for your help and advice.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,514 Posts
The 2014, unlike the 15 & 16 doesn't have a CVT transmission or direct injection. This may make it a more reliable choice.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yes, the 15 and 16 are updated versions of the 14.

There haven't been many problems with the 15 and 16s other than the vibration in the 15, which can be fixed.

The CVTs have been reliable so far, and the engine package is what had been used in the Accords for several years. Oil dilution and using oil haven't really been reported much for 15 and 16s.

Some people don't like CVTs, I've had several cars with them, and our company fleet has many, none have had problems.

·
Registered
522 Posts
We bought the 2014 CRV for the very reason Traylaw indicated. It's the last year you can tow a CRV with all wheels on the ground.

In general I like the 2014, and we haven't had any problems at all.

As for your question, it all depends on how many miles are on the clock. In my last CRV, a 2009, the brakes lasted 120,000 driven miles + 50,000 miles being dragged all around our great countries. (when the brakes go on the motorhome, the brakes also go on in the Honda). Even the battery in our 2014 has lasted and lasted. In fact it is still going after 6 years!

·
Registered
38 Posts
2014 EX-L AWD bought in the fall of '16. Second owner. Have no idea why the first owner wanted to trade for a Toyota, but their loss was my gain. Been a very good car. Listen for rattles on your test drive because as I was told that was one of the complaints/ concerns about Honda. Don't know, but worth watching for if rattles drive you nuts. Mine has been a good machine. I don't drive it hard or much. I take care of it and it has taken care of me. Good luck with your choice!

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I prefer the looks of the 2015-2016 over the earlier 4th gen CR-Vs. I may buy a Pilot next time around since the CR-Vs have anemic power (or I may get a 4Runner since I want to get into riding offroad), but for my better half, I may upgrade hers to a 2016 once we decide which way we're going with these CR-Vs we own now. She likes the ride height and feels safer being able to see more of the cars around her. I haven't yet looked into common 2015-16 issues yet, but the CVT doesn't bother me at all--Honda has made millions over the course of two decades now, so they know how to build them.

Our "spare" car will probably be an Acura of some sort (probably a used TSX or an AWD TL) unless I get a two-seater convertible as a project car. 😉

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
164 Posts
From a manufacturing perspective the later years of a generation have been the most refined due to the changes that are made over the production run. Now with that being said the condition of the vehicle based upon mileage and prior service history is a more significant factor than the specific year.

Personal experience here is that we purchased a 2016 EX-L just a little over 2 years ago and have now put 22K miles on it. We have done all of the Honda recommended maintenance during this time via a local Honda dealer and this has cost $500.95. Based upon the past experiences with the exception of having to potentially replace the battery or the like we won't have any more service needs for another 6,500 miles.

Good Luck with your shopping!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.