Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a rear view camera and I've been told to wire the monitor to the 'Neutral Safety Switch' on my 2000 CRV (Automatic) so the monitor powers on only when the vehicle is in reverse. I cannot seem to find the specified component or wire in my 2000 CRV Service Manual.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to locate the proper place to wire my monitor so it powers on only when my vehicle is in reverse?

Thanks all

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The best thing is to wire it to it's own switch so you can use it when not in reverse as well, and then to a tuner on your nav screen.

The easiest way that I've always done (if you want it on only in reverse) is to wire the switch wire into one of your reverse lights on the back of the car, or to the fuse panel that controls it. So when the reverse light turns on, the camera turns on, simple.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your insight Serj22. The rear view camera portion is wired to the reverse lights, so the camera only powers on when the vehicle is in reverse. For the last few months I've had the monitor portion wired to a constant power supply, and it turns on wutomatically when it gets the signal from the camera.

The problem with this is whenever some interference or another signal is around, my monitor flickers on and off, which is very distracting (especially at night) and I want to wire it so there's only power to it when the vehicle is in reverse.

Would you happen to know if the fuse panel that controls the rear view lights is located under the dash or in the rear of the vehicle? Like I said, I'm having trouble finding the info in my service manual. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I believe the fuse panel for the lights is under the hood, if not, it'si n one of the bottom rows of the under dash panel. That's strange that it would receive interference, but it is a very long lead. I'd say the best solution is a switch though, so you could turn it on before you even shift into reverse, or in traffic or something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks again for your feedback. The camera to monitor video feed is wireless, forgot to mention, so they are powered independently. This also might explain the interference as well.

When you first brought it up I was thinking that I would love to have it so it uses a switch that in one position: Just provides power to the monitor if the vehicle is in reverse. And in the Other Position: Has constant power to the monitor so I could have a rear-view monitor at any given time.

The problem with that is, however, that my camera is wired to the rear view lights, so there is only power to it when the vehicle is in reverse. I was thinking that I could wire it to my tail lights, so when my lights are turned on the camera has power, but then I'd have to make sure that the lights were on when I put my vehicle in reverse, for it to have power. I'm thinking I would have to wire the power to the camera to both the tail lights and the reverse lights, to accommodate for both situations. I've only got a pretty basic knowledge of wiring, is it safe to wire the camera's positive wire to both the tail light & reverse light at the same time? I'm thinking Perhaps there's something special I have to do so the positive current from one doesn't interfere with the other.

Also, is my switch idea feasible? Is it possible to wire a switch to have different power sources in in different positions? Or does it just break the connection in one of them?

Thanks again for your insight, I do appreciate all your help!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
you should not wire a similar lead to two different lights, it will cause problems. You can wire the lead behing the accessory socket in the back or anything else that turns on when the car is on, any kind of accessory position electronic, and then wire the lead to a switch, if the feed is wireless, by law it must accept any interference outside of the vehicle, so interference may always be a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought as much, but at least I can adjust my setup so the power to the monitor isn't always on, only when I need it. Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts