Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am a new to this site. Here is my questions. I have a 2004 Honda CRV with 128000 miles on it. The past weekend the car over heated on my wife. I pulled the inspection plates off the top and noticed corrosion where water was leaking from the top of the radiator. I replaced the radiator and upper and lower hoses. My wife was stuck in bad traffic and noticed the temperature gauge went from quarter to half on the gauge and she said she could smell coolant. In all the six years we have owed the car I have never heard the fans kick on. When are they supposed to kick on? Is there a way to test them? Is there a fuse? I want to check and not just throw a bunch of parts at it.

Thanks

Jerryst

·
Everything in Moderation
7,623 Posts
The normal position of the temp gauge needle is just below the half-way mark. If it stays lower than that, you may need to replace the thermostat.

The next thing to check is the coolant level. It is normal for it to require topping-up the first few drive cycles after cooling system work. You could have an air bubble in the system that is 'confusing' the fan and gauge sensors.

To test the fans themselves, you can turn on the air conditioner while in the driveway. Both fans should be running while the compressor is engaged.

Post back with results. There ARE fuses and relays, Oh My!:eek: And, there are temp specifications for the fans to run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I will check the coolant level again. And check fuses hope its a fuse.

Thanks
Jerryt

·
Everything in Moderation
7,623 Posts
Yes, both.

Re coolant level: on a cold engine, remove the rad cap and fill there. It should be either totally full or at least within an inch of the filler neck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You may have had your questions well answered by now, but I suppose I can add some additional info. The fans are very quiet. I keep a scanner hooked up (ScanGauge) while I drive and see that with the A/C off, the temperature in heavy traffic conditions will vary between 200 degrees and 225 degrees Fahrenheit. The cooling fan(s) seem to kick on at 220 degrees. My cooling system is original with the exception of fresh (blue) coolant and a new thermostat at 162k miles. While driving with the A/C on, with fans on, the temperature will typically stay around 185-195 degrees. These readings are based on an 85-90 degree ambient temperature.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Temp gauge acting strange. Showed Normal Sitting at Light and then cold when moving.

I had the same problem.

My 2001 CR-V temp gauge I noticed started acting strange. When stopped showed normal operating temp. But when I was running down the road, the temp gauge went to zero. I had two problems that I had to fix. They were done at different times. The first repair was the thermostat as it controls the flow of coolant and must be stuck open. My thermostat had been on the car since I purchased it. Replacing the thermostat fixed the temp gauge problem. But the second problem required that the radiator be replaced. As the top tank had separated from the cooling fins. The only solution was to replace the radiator with a new unit and it is a good time to replace upper and lower hoses. Since I have fixed the cooling system has been operating normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts